Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon Waite
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Listen to the Solosaurus Podcast on iTunes, Google Play, and YouTube!
mbmbmbmbmb
Since starting Solosaurus just over a year ago, I've made a practice of posting episode updates and giveaway info in the 1PG forums. However, as another user recently pointed out, it would be best to limit those posts to one thread, in an effort to reduce clutter. Hence the birth of the Solosaurus Megathread!

If you want updates about new episodes, giveaways, and other information related to the Solosaurus podcast, subscribe to this post. That's it! Thank you all for listening and supporting us. Feel free to interact with us on here. We're typically lurking about anyway and would love to talk with you!

Check out the show here:

iTunes: https://apple.co/2G2bAa1
Google Play: https://goo.gl/18RxHG
Spotify: https://spoti.fi/2FPY4oK
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/solosauruspodcast

For those who are just looking for the newest episode (Top 10 Solo Games), check it out here:

Direct download: https://bit.ly/30RXOhw

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Taylor
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Solosaurus Megathread -- all content and giveaway updates in one place
Appreciate you creating a single thread, but it should probably be in News, rather than general. That's where you used to post the episode updates.

Thanks,

Colin
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Waite
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way, our newest episode went up today! If you've been wondering if Wingspan is a good fit for your solo collection, you might want to check it out.

Check out the episode on ,Spotify, and Google Play, and everywhere else podcasts about niche subsets of the board game hobby are found. Or, just click the video below--your choice. We're not your parents.

**NOTE**

We apologize for the sound issues in this episode. Carter and I both took awkward pills before recording, apparently, and proceeded to bump the table and the mic multiple times. Also, we incorrectly stated that the MSRP for this game is $39.99. That is incorrect. It is $55. Still a great price!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
OneTwo Many
Mexico
Tijuana
Baja California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Subscribed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Pavia
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Subscribed!

Also, I wanted to comment on your previous episode on Labyrinth. Not that this would change your viewpoint on the game, but the expansion provides a flowchart for a US bot, which is quite good. However, it doing so they also revised the original flowchart with additional decision branches.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Schulz
Sweden
Boden
Norrbotten
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once again thanks for a great podcast episode, I have Wingspan on pre-order as a result. laugh

And I for one did not notice that significant drop in audio quality on the last episode. Looking forward to future episodes, here’s hoping NSKN Games answers your call for Teotihuacan: City of Gods!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Waite
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ap49 wrote:
Subscribed!

Also, I wanted to comment on your previous episode on Labyrinth. Not that this would change your viewpoint on the game, but the expansion provides a flowchart for a US bot, which is quite good. However, it doing so they also revised the original flowchart with additional decision branches.

I did not realize the expansion included a US bot! I don't think that would change my overall opinion of the game, but I'm glad it's there. I'm sure a lot of people will really love Labyrinth. For those folks, adding a US bot seriously ups the replay value.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Waite
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Venom Snake wrote:
Once again thanks for a great podcast episode, I have Wingspan on pre-order as a result. laugh

And I for one did not notice that significant drop in audio quality on the last episode. Looking forward to future episodes, here’s hoping NSKN Games answers your call for Teotihuacan: City of Gods!

Thanks, Fredrick! I hope you enjoy Wingspan as much as I did. I also really appreciate your kind words about the show.

As for Teotihuacan: fingers crossed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Waite
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's here, folks! Episode #29 of the Solosaurus podcast has officially arrived. Join us as we talk about the latest solo games news (including a new Geeklist you don't want to miss), and one of our most requested reviews ever: Spirit Island!

Links to some of the places you can find the show are in our original post, or you can just watch the YouTube version here. Thanks for supporting us!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frankie Bones
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Enjoyed this one. I owned, played and ended up trading Spirit Island.

The reason I traded it was that every single time I played, I was wishing I was just playing Renegade. My games of Spirit Island felt swingy. There were games that were so easy and some that felt too difficult. Every time I have played Renegade, I have felt that it was poor play that caused me to lose.

I would love for you guys to review that one and do a comparison. Knowing your tastes, I think you guys would still prefer SI, but it would be fun to hear that comparison.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Peters
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
BrokenAxe wrote:
Enjoyed this one. I owned, played and ended up trading Spirit Island.

The reason I traded it was that every single time I played, I was wishing I was just playing Renegade. My games of Spirit Island felt swingy. There were games that were so easy and some that felt too difficult. Every time I have played Renegade, I have felt that it was poor play that caused me to lose.

I would love for you guys to review that one and do a comparison. Knowing your tastes, I think you guys would still prefer SI, but it would be fun to hear that comparison.

Dang, I need Renegade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Waite
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I already knew I wanted to play Renegade. Now I'm bumping it up my list. I definitely want to do a full review of it. When we do, I'll try to remember to compare the two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Peters
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
br4nmuff1n wrote:
Wow, I already knew I wanted to play Renegade. Now I'm bumping it up my list. I definitely want to do a full review of it. When we do, I'll try to remember to compare the two.

Ordered it on BoardGameBliss (with Call to Adventure) 5 minutes ago now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Waite
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Episode #30 of the podcast is up, folks. In this episode, we review a solo-only game unlike anything we've played before: Black Sonata

If you're interested in deduction, Shakespeare, or games that offer a unique experience, you need to check it out!

Audio direct download: https://bit.ly/2Plsl2U

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Timmins
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you guys still making the direct download available?If so, where can I find them? I used to be able to find them and can't seem to do so anymore lol.
EDIT: It might also be fun to have a geeklist or published list somewhere of all the games with the illustrious Stomp of Approval?..
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Waite
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marctimmins89 wrote:
Are you guys still making the direct download available?If so, where can I find them? I used to be able to find them and can't seem to do so anymore lol.
EDIT: It might also be fun to have a geeklist or published list somewhere of all the games with the illustrious Stomp of Approval?..

Oops! I've gotten out of the habit of adding a direct download link. I'll try to make that part of our posting routine.

Also, I've intended to make that geeklist for a long time. Maybe I should just do it, huh? Thanks for the reminder!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Waite
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's that time again, folks: Episode #31 of the podcast is up! In this episode, we review a game about building a person's identity by manipulating their emotions: Cerebria!

If you're interested in area control games, unique themes, or Mindclash Games, give it a listen!

Audio direct download: https://bit.ly/2PKrSYD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Waite
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, for those who wanted a geeklist with all the Stomp of Approval recipients, it's now available! Check it out here:

Games that received the Solosaurus Stomp of Approval
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Waite
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Solosaurus Megathread (newest review: Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle Earth)
Hey everyone, the newest episode of the Solosaurus podcast is here! We cover solo games news, like we always do, then we get to our in-depth review of one of the hottest games out right now: Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle Earth.

Enjoy, everyone! Links to iTunes, Google Play, and Spotify are in the OP, or you can direct download the episode right here: https://bit.ly/2Q5R1gv

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Peters
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Solosaurus Megathread (newest review: Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle Earth)
I THINK you made a small mistake, but I could be wrong. You said that if you attack an enemy and they attack you back, they then attack you again during the shadow phase. But if they attack you (different from provoking), then their little picture gets darkened and they don't activate during the shadow phase. Sounds like you've been playing it more difficult somehow?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Waite
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
threepointthed wrote:
I THINK you made a small mistake, but I could be wrong. You said that if you attack an enemy and they attack you back, they then attack you again during the shadow phase. But if they attack you (different from provoking), then their little picture gets darkened and they don't activate during the shadow phase. Sounds like you've been playing it more difficult somehow?

You are definitely right. I think Carter misspoke when he said that. That's an interesting aspect of the combat. The game rewards you for going on the offensive. If you don't hit a nearby enemy, they're almost certainly going to hit you that round, due to their ability to move quickly across the map. You might as well get a hit in first if you can spare the action.

Good catch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frankie Bones
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really need to stop listening to your podcast. This is the fourth game you have made me "need." I guess it could be worse.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Timmins
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
br4nmuff1n wrote:
Hey everyone, the newest episode of the Solosaurus podcast is here! We cover solo games news, like we always do, then we get to our in-depth review of one of the hottest games out right now: Lord of the Rings: Journeys in Middle Earth.

Enjoy, everyone! Links to iTunes, Google Play, and Spotify are in the OP, or you can direct download the episode right here: https://bit.ly/2Q5R1gv

What did the poor Hobbit movies ever do wrong?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Waite
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Marctimmins89 wrote:
br4nmuff1n wrote:

What did the poor Hobbit movies ever do wrong?

I don't know how I missed this wonderful comment, but they know what they did!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Waite
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Solosaurus Megathread (newest review - Hoplomachus: Origins)
The latest episode is up! In this one, we review a game of gladiatorial called Hoplomachus: Origins! Use the links in the original post to access it via iTunes, Google Play, or Spotify.

Enjoy!

Direct download: https://bit.ly/2YYcFpZ

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |