1 Player guild» Forums » General

Subject: Solosaurus Megathread (newest episode: TOP 10 SOLO GAMES!) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frankie Bones
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Solosaurus Megathread (newest review: Hoplomachus: Origins)
Great listen. I'm a huge fan of Hoplo. One of my favorite solo systems. I have to say, once I tried Lost Cities and Rise of Rome, I sold Origins. The big box Hoplo games are far superior solo experiences in my opinion.

The smaller arenas in Origins take away from the tactical experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Waite
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Listen to the Solosaurus Podcast on iTunes, Google Play, and YouTube!
mbmbmbmbmb
BrokenAxe wrote:
Great listen. I'm a huge fan of Hoplo. One of my favorite solo systems. I have to say, once I tried Lost Cities and Rise of Rome, I sold Origins. The big box Hoplo games are far superior solo experiences in my opinion.

Thanks for the encouragement!

I knew a lot of people liked the other entries in the series, but I didn't expect them to be that much better. Do they also use a trials format, like Origins? One day, I may branch out to those bigger games. For now, though, I love the quick playtime of this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frankie Bones
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
br4nmuff1n wrote:
BrokenAxe wrote:

Thanks for the encouragement!

I knew a lot of people liked the other entries in the series, but I didn't expect them to be that much better. Do they also use a trials format, like Origins? One day, I may branch out to those bigger games. For now, though, I love the quick playtime of this one.

They do not use the trials format. Rise of Rome has "Titans" that you play against and each is completely different.

Lost Cities is more "straight forward" and probably the simplest A.I. of the three games. Again, no trials.

I did enjoy the trials, but the battles in Rise of Rome and Lost Cities just seem way more epic.

I will say I miss how small the Origins box is and how accessible it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Schulz
Sweden
Boden
Norrbotten
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By the way looks like your prophesy regarding the title for the upcoming expansion Too Many Bones: Splice and Dice came through. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Waite
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Venom Snake wrote:
By the way looks like your prophesy regarding the title for the upcoming expansion Too Many Bones: Splice and Dice came through. laugh

I saw that

I'm so glad they saw that piece of low-hanging fruit and just decided to reach out and grab it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Waite
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Solosaurus Megathread (newest review: Azul)
Hey everyone, I *totally* forgot to include a post about our last episode: top 10 fan-made solo variants! Check it out when you get a chance!

Direct download: https://bit.ly/2LqTBgC

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Waite
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Episode #35 is up! In this episode, we check out a solo variant for the mega-popular game of tile laying/breaking: Azul! Check it out!

Direct download: https://bit.ly/2xgLcnL

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Waite
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Solosaurus Megathread (newest review: Middara)
Episode #36 is up! I'm guessing a few of you will be interested in this one, because our review this time is for Middara!

Direct Download: https://bit.ly/2XIrHiR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Waite
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Solosaurus Megathread (newest review: Gentes)
Episode #37 of the Solosaurus podcast is up! In this episode, we cover the latest board game news and review a worker placement(?) game about building an ancient civilization: Gentes!

Direct Download: https://bit.ly/2OmgN2H

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Waite
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Solosaurus Megathread (GIVEAWAY for Architects of the West Kingdom ends 8-23-19)
I *totally* forgot to post this last week. Oops!

Episode #38 of the Solosaurus podcast is available...and well, it has been for a little bit now! In this episode, we cover the latest (well, it was at the time) board game news and review a solo variant for Reef!

Direct download: https://bit.ly/2TqepXK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Waite
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Solosaurus Megathread (new review and GIVEAWAY - *fully painted* Fallout: Wasteland Warfare - ends 8/30/19)
Episode #39 of the podcast is up! In this episode, we cover the latest solo games news before prattling on about a subject we know very little about--solo table top miniatures games! We start with a review (and giveaway!) for Fallout: Wasteland Warfare.

Direct download: https://bit.ly/2MyZkm6

GIVEAWAY
ends 8/30/19

We're partnering with the good folks at Miniatures Mutated for a giveaway, so you can win a *PAINTED* copy of Fallout: WW for yourself! Miniatures Mutated is a company specializing in miniature painting and assembly. If you don't paint, but want to play with painted miniatures, check them out! They do great work at reasonable rates, and they're very easy to work with.

To enter, do any/all of the following options for one entry each, Then, email us at solosauruspodcast@gmail.com with the subject "FALLOUT."

1. Like Miniatures Mutated on Facebook
2. Follow them on Instagram (Miniatures Mutated)
3. LIke Solosaurus on Facebook
4. Follow Solosaurus on Instagram (@solosauruspodcast)

That's it! Good luck, everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredrik Schulz
Sweden
Boden
Norrbotten
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Solosaurus Megathread (new review and GIVEAWAY - *fully painted* Fallout: Wasteland Warfare - ends 8/30/19)
Wow you guys, what a fantastic giveaway!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Houk
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
This is text that appears only at the end of a journey
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

To enter, do any/all of the following options for one entry each, Then, email us at solosaurspodcast@gmail.com with the subject "FALLOUT."

you missed the letter U in your email.
Above:
solosaurspodcast@gmail.com

Should Be:
solosauruspodcast@gmail.com

Anyway I entered! But I just realized that it is now named: Fwd: Fallout

Should I re-email you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Waite
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cotj73 wrote:
Quote:

To enter, do any/all of the following options for one entry each, Then, email us at solosaurspodcast@gmail.com with the subject "FALLOUT."

you missed the letter U in your email.
Above:
solosaurspodcast@gmail.com

Should Be:
solosauruspodcast@gmail.com

Anyway I entered! But I just realized that it is now named: Fwd: Fallout

Should I re-email you?

D'oh! I can't believe I mis-typed that. Thanks for pointing it out! No need to re-send it. I got your email. You're entered!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson

Boulder
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Does Miniatures Mutated have a website with pricing info?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan O'Neill
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
Doc... I’m from the future. I came here in a Time Machine that you invented.
mbmbmbmbmb
BiggityBogle wrote:

Jeff, I contacted them through FB and they got back right away. Pricing is on FB's About page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Johnson

Boulder
Colorado
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
brendanmoneill wrote:
BiggityBogle wrote:

Jeff, I contacted them through FB and they got back right away. Pricing is on FB's About page.

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek J
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Great episode Brandon and really highlighted a game that I kind of looked at but dismissed as just another miniatures game.

I don’t mind rules heavy, complex, fiddly games as long as the game is deep and meaty to back it up. I do worry about there not being enough solo content though. Can you speak to that? Are the included scenarios + the ones online worth the purchase without any expansions?

Also did you try using the AI to run any of the other non-solo scenarios? Those look more involved since it seems like you have to create your own objectives and AI patterns for the AI and I’m wondering how well that would work in practice.

I enjoy the show immensely, keep up the great work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trogdor The Burninator
Canada
Ladysmith
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Really enjoying the Podcasts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Waite
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
yayaba wrote:
Great episode Brandon and really highlighted a game that I kind of looked at but dismissed as just another miniatures game.

I don’t mind rules heavy, complex, fiddly games as long as the game is deep and meaty to back it up. I do worry about there not being enough solo content though. Can you speak to that? Are the included scenarios + the ones online worth the purchase without any expansions?

Also did you try using the AI to run any of the other non-solo scenarios? Those look more involved since it seems like you have to create your own objectives and AI patterns for the AI and I’m wondering how well that would work in practice.

I enjoy the show immensely, keep up the great work!

Hey, Derek! I somehow missed this comment when you first made it, so I'm replying *very* late. My apologies!

It's hard for me to gauge worth in that way. I think the number of solo scenarios included in the core box will keep you busy for a while. I also think that, because the AI will play differently from game to game, you can replay the scenarios with very different results. For folks who enjoy the game, getting more scenarios will (eventually) be a must, but I don't think you'l need them right away.

As far as the multiplayer scenarios are concerned. I think you could play them solo if you wanted to. I'm particularly sensitive to long setup times and really want to just start playing, so that's not something I would do--as you mentioned, creating your own objectives and patterns do increase that setup time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Waite
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Solosaurus Megathread (new review and GIVEAWAY - Renegade + expansions!)
I forgot to post this last week, but in case you missed it, episode #40 of the podcast is available, and we review Lisboa from Vital Lacerda!

Direct download: https://bit.ly/2lSySrm

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Waite
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Solosaurus Megathread (new review and GIVEAWAY - Renegade + expansions -- ends 9/27)
Episode #41 of the Solosaurus podcast went up today! In this episode, we review one your most-requested games: Renegade from Ricky Royal and Victory Point Games!

Direct download: https://bit.ly/2mqQFX0

GIVEAWAY (ends 9/27)

We're giving away a copy of Renegade with the " Christmas at the Hack Shack" and "Fire and Chaos" booster packs to one lucky winner! Contest ends Friday, Sept 27.

To enter, do any/all of the following options for one entry each, Then, email us at solosauruspodcast@gmail.com with "RENEGADE" in the subject line. If you already like/follow us in these places, you don't need to re-do it. Just let us know that you do!

1. Subscribe to the podcast (iTunes, Google Play, Spotify, YouTube...wherever you want!)
2. Rate/review us on iTunes or Facebook.
3. Like Solosaurus on Facebook

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Schmitt
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Solosaurus Megathread (new review and GIVEAWAY - Renegade + expansions -- ends 9/27)
br4nmuff1n wrote:

GIVEAWAY (ends 9/27)

We're giving away a copy of Renegade with the " Christmas at the Hack Shack" and "Fire and Chaos" booster packs to one lucky winner! Contest ends Friday, Sept 27.

To enter, do any/all of the following options for one entry each, Then, email us at solosauruspodcast@gmail.com with "RENEGADE" in the subject line. If you already like/follow us in these places, you don't need to re-do it. Just let us know that you do!

1. Subscribe to the podcast (iTunes, Google Play, Spotify, YouTube...wherever you want!)

Hi, quick question on the giveaway. I've been subscribed and posted a review on iTunes a few months ago. Am I already entered for those 2?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Waite
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
schmittrs wrote:
br4nmuff1n wrote:

GIVEAWAY (ends 9/27)

Hi, quick question on the giveaway. I've been subscribed and posted a review on iTunes a few months ago. Am I already entered for those 2?

That will get you two entries! Just send me an email so that I will remember to count them on the day I do the drawing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelo Pavia
Canada
Maple
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’m finally catching up on the episodes.

I’m glad Lisboa and Renegade got stomps of approvals. Renegade is a constant in my game rotation. I just need to get Lisboa to the table more often. But my “heavier” games rotation consists of Trickerion, Cerebria and Escape Plan (which is not too heavy).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  Next »   |