Subject: A variant from a so close to being five year old rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Needle
Australia
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The little fella pulled out this gem of a game to only come up with a new set of rules. After 5 minutes of explaining I still didn't get what he meant so I just got him to show me.

The idea of this game is to have the most penquins still on ice floes. Keep your penquins on the ice for as long as possible. If a penquin cannot move than he is forced to swim and leaves the game.

1. Set up the board as normal.
2. Take turns placing your penquins anywhere on the board. Number of fish on a tile does not matter.
3. Take turns moving
4. You can only move one tile at a time.
5. When you land on a tile, see how many fish that tile has and then flip over another tile, that does not have a penquin on it, of the same type. Eg, Green moves onto a three fish tile, he can now flip over any other empty three fish tile.
6. Whenever a penquin cannot move than they are removed from the game.

The person with the most penquins at the end of the game is the winner. If it's a tie it's the person with the most fish remaining in their connected ice floes.

Note this has not been playtested with 3-4 players

Here is a pic of a completed game giving you a feel for how it looks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bart D.
Belgium
Hasselt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks interesting. I'll give it a go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Bloomfield
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
This is a clever variation. Tried it the other night, with two players. First game was no good because my opponent thought we were still scoring fish. Second game was a nail-biter.
Made these tweaks to the rules:
● Move not restricted to one tile - as for original game you can move many tiles (blocked by other penguins or holes).
● You can't land on a tile if there are no other tiles showing the right number of fish.
● You lose if you can't move on your turn.

For our second game, the winning move was from 1 fish tile to a 1 fish tile, removing the tile just vacated.

I suspect this works best as a two-person game, but will try and play it with three.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls