Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

GMT COIN Series» Forums » General

Subject: Seeking an opponent in NYC to learn COIN together at a relaxed pace rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Semko
United States
New York
flag msg tools
I own Cuba Libre (3rd printing)
I read the rules, went though the playbook and played through one complete game with 3 other players. But unfortunately one of them was an "expert" who ended up railroading the game (basically telling players what to do on their turns). I did not enjoy that at all, but would like to find other opponents in my local area to play this game and other COIN games with.

What I'm looking for is a player new to coin series so we can get good at the game together. Ideally someone detail oriented who doesn't mind looking up rules and discussing possibilities

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Juan Valdez
msg tools
MadOgre wrote:
But unfortunately one of them was an "expert" who ended up railroading the game (basically telling players what to do on their turns). I did not enjoy that at all, but would like to find other opponents in my local area to play this game and other COIN games with.
This doesn't happen to me very often, but when it does, I find the most effective thing to do is simply ignore these people. That usually works. When they're persistent...

If they "suggest" playing a move one way, I play the opposite way.

If they say "I'm only trying to help you," I respond with "Thanks but no thanks, I prefer to play my own game, thank you."

I recall once saying "Let's try this: you play your side, I'll play my side, ok?"

This can produce an awkward moment at the table, which I'm happy to own.

Other techniques include:

* "getting paged from work" as I'm actually "on call" hence have a plausible reason to bolt.

* losing as fast as possible to end the game, entirely reasonable in a two-player game.

* just quitting when it's no fun.

I have rarely had to do any of the above, but I am absolutely ruthless when necessary.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dardia
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Mike,

You should come by our club in a Brooklyn space that we rent (Metro Wargamers). The club has been around for over 30 years; currently 30+ full-time members as well as almost as many more casual visitors. We play a wide range of games" Euros: hex & counter wargames; historical minis; etc. There are a number of regular COIN players with all of the games owned by one or more members. The club culture is very welcoming to new members, without the sort of obnoxious behavior that spoiled your earlier session.

The club has a rarely-updated web site (http://www.nycwargames.com/); a Yahoo group that you can use to post your interest and set up a specific time with some members to try it out (https://groups.yahoo.com/group/Metrowargamers); and a Twitter feed run by our President, Kimber VanRy (https://twitter.com/kimbervanry).

You are also welcome to just stop by and visit. Friday nights and Saturdays tend to have the highest turnout, but Sundays and some weeknights are also frequently busy. We're at 522 5th Street in Park Slope, Brooklyn, in the basement, under the stoop.

I hope to see you there.

Michael Dardia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Semko
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Hi Michael,

Wow I just looked up your club and read about it and it sounds exactly like the place I was looking for and couldn't find. Thank you so much for your suggestion. I will come by at first opportunity (most likely this coming week)

Regards,

Mike Semko

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Dardia
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad to hear it. I'll probably be down there on Friday night, and I know there will be several guys there on Saturday as well. (There are four members named Mike or Michael, but none of them has a last name that starts with S, so that should help!)

Michael Dardia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls