Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
68 Posts
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Gaming with Kids

Subject: If you could buy only 3 kids games to build gaming skills (target ages 5-7)... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kristen Umansky
United States
Glen Rock
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My 4 year old daughter enjoys:

My First Stone Age
Zombie Kidz Evolution
Kinder Bunnies: Their First Adventure

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Crane
United Kingdom
Sandbach
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ours children (7 and 9 years olds) enjoy My First Carcassonne, Ticket to Ride First Journey and Qwirkle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nash
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I see you own Patchwork; I LOVE my father/son times playing this with my little one.

He's 3, but we started playing when he was 2 - we didn't use buttons as currency at first, just took one of the next 3 and placed it on the board.
Now, we play with buttons as currency but don't award the 7x7 tile, although that's coming soon.

He beats me a depressingly high proportion of the time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wilbert Kiemeneij
Netherlands
Eindhoven
flag msg tools
I know the rules, but how do you win this game?
badge
1, 2, 3, 4, 5
mbmbmbmbmb
Nashman88 wrote:
I see you own Patchwork; I LOVE my father/son times playing this with my little one.

He's 3, but we started playing when he was 2 - we didn't use buttons as currency at first, just took one of the next 3 and placed it on the board.
Now, we play with buttons as currency but don't award the 7x7 tile, although that's coming soon.

He beats me a depressingly high proportion of the time!

Do you use the time track?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Nash
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes. He picks who goes first, and he knows that whoever is further back has the next turn.
So it's taught him about unusual turn order already, which is great for when we start games like Gaia Project!

It's worth stating though that he's a VERY intelligent child; I know every parent likes to think that about their children, but he turned 3 in November and he already knows his times tables and can read basically at an adult level.
His favourite past-time is sitting on the sofa with his calculator trying out different number sentences. As an actuary, it makes me very proud!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Miller
United States
Youngstown
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Everytime I see the title of this thread I read "If you could buy only 3 kids to build..." surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cesare Valenti
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chaiftan wrote:
Everytime I see the title of this thread I read "If you could buy only 3 kids to build..." surprise

...to build what?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Eccles
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Alarm! Alarm!
mbmbmbmbmb
gyruss wrote:
Chaiftan wrote:

...to build what?

a very small pyramid
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cesare Valenti
Italy
Palermo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jade_alarm wrote:
gyruss wrote:
Chaiftan wrote:

...to build what?

a very small pyramid

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Tang
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I recommend trying out the new

Zombie Kidz Evolution

It's a coop legacy game for kids! So much fun for a simple game. My four year old and seven year old are possessed with it. Only game they love to play when it is just the two of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Korea
Canada
Richmond Hill
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
we talk a lot about introductory games on our site (littlemeeples dot com) and instagram (@littlemeeples). I find that the My First and Junior versions of games are pretty good. Karuba Jr, My First Stone Age, My First Castle Panic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Rabinowitz
United States
Columbia
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For anyone with kids, I always recommend The Enchanted Tower. It is simply the best kids game ever. 2 player only, though. The only tricky parts are making sure the kid keeps to the path (no shortcuts) and no peeking when hiding the key. Those bits aside, the game is super easy to grasp while also super engaging for any age. And the art is great. And the components are very well thought out. And it's got a spring-loaded princess locked in a tower so when she's freed she shoots skyward.

My 7 yr old loves Go Nuts for Donuts. She even teaches others how to play. Similar in feel to Sushi Go, which you said you have already.

She's also scarily good at Azul.

Lately, we've all (7 yr old, 11, yr old, me, and the wife) have been playing lots of Deep Sea Adventure while waiting for food at restaurants.

These are all games which are engaging for any age, but easy to learn and pleasant to look at. I can easily recommend all of them.

As a general note, any game which has multiple paths to victory seems to be a good choice. What my kid tends to do is to ignore most of the paths and focus on one. As long as no one at the table tries to actively thwart her, this enables her to have fun playing the game and in her own time ramp up her understanding and skills.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Emmett
Canada
Surrey
BC
flag msg tools
FULL THROTTLE
badge
"Unlike work, which needs some detachment and ought not to be taken too seriously, games need to be played with the utmost seriousness and dedication." - Bruno Faidutti
mbmbmbmbmb
kidkorea wrote:
we talk a lot about introductory games on our site (littlemeeples dot com) and instagram (@littlemeeples). I find that the My First and Junior versions of games are pretty good. Karuba Jr, My First Stone Age, My First Castle Panic.

I came here to link this very blog. I'll save kidkorea the gaucheness of plugging his own posts since I have the tabs open already.

The Best Introductory Board Games for ages 5-6
Introduction Board Games for ages 7-9

I like Monza more than my 6-year-old does. cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Mammel
Canada
flag msg tools
Basic starting point for games as far as I am concerned:

Crazy 8's - to learn how to hold cards, count and pay attention to what's happening ahead of them in the game.

Trouble (pop o'matic) - To learn patience and mercy. Those times you get stuck not being able to get on the board, and you have to be a good sport while everyone else pulls ahead. And those times when you just keep getting bitch slapped back to the beginning cause you keep getting jumped. Also has elements of being careful who you lay vengeance on, as it will often come back to you! There's been a few tears on this game (both from my daughter and from me when I was her age).

When they get a bit older, Ticket to Ride, Scrabble, Backgammon. All bring some elements of tactics, strategy and hand management.

The other key thing, is that I NEVER let kids win at games. If they win, they win based on their own merit. If they lose, they learn to accept it and not dwell on something not going there way. My daughter knows that if she beat me, that I tried my best! I think that it makes a victory sweeter, knowing that it was earned. There are also too many participation ribbons given out to kids now in my opinion. There are no prizes for second place. My daughter love to win, and can take a loss without being bitter about it. Mission successful!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Code Wiz
Portugal
Lisbon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I've been playing with my 6 years old The Color Monster
Great to kids deal with their emotions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip O'Brien
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on my kids game history, now aged nearly 8 and 11, here are their most played at those ages:

Age 5 - Russelbande & Spot It
Age 6 - Tsuro & Minecraft Card Game
Age 7 - Fairy Tale & King of Tokyo

Some others that they loved this age but didn't make it into the most played were - Emerald, Battleball and Kids of Carcassonne.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Phillips
England
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My daughter loves Korrigans. She learnt the mechanics when she was 4 and now (6 and a half) she presents a proper challenge and regularly wins with no allowances being made.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Noble
United States
El Dorado Hills
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Just ordered this! Looking forward to trying it with my 4 & 7 year olds.

tryp09 wrote:
I recommend trying out the new

Zombie Kidz Evolution

It's a coop legacy game for kids! So much fun for a simple game. My four year old and seven year old are possessed with it. Only game they love to play when it is just the two of them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.