Popular Tags: [View All]
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good morning, Pegheads! Last weekend I got to experience my very first escape room (IRL). I really enjoyed the experience, and while I don't think I'll be seeking out the experience often, I'm definitely up for doing it again in a while. But now I'm really pumped to keep playing through the EXIT: Das Spiel. So my question this week is: when have you done something in real life that has gotten you pumped to play a game or a game that has gotten you pumped for doing something in real life?

But what the pegheads really want to know is...what are you playing this week?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Marchbanks
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I play games! You play games?!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

This game is so good! I got another play in this week. Just got the realistic resources in for it too. I'm just always excited for games. So really any real life activity gets me excited to play board games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a nice game day this weekend and played Everdell, Call to Adventure, and Campaign Trail, then got in some solo goodness with Nations: The Dice Game and Heroes of Terrinoth. This is Spring Break for my kids and we’re headed up to the mountains to ski, so there won’t be much cardboard this week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have become a mini wargamer over the last couple years. Getting models built and painted IRL translates directly to the game. Like, I'll be painting certain types of models as they have certain gameplay abilities. Sometimes, I will just like how something looks, and get very excited to get it to the game.

This week my daughter wants to come over and play a game. I think we'll try Coldwater Crown again, or maybe I'll show her The Castles of Burgundy. Then there will be my first play of Warhammer Quest: Blackstone Fortress on Thursday. Most of my group is headed to GameStorm this weekend. It is a gaming convention in Portland, Oregon, so my weekend will be pretty open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Fry
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After having Heroes of Land, Air & Sea show up in all its Kickstarter-y goodness last week, I had to crack that out and have my kids help me build all the buildings and boats. We got in a good game of that and followed it up with a game of Kingdomino!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Hickman
United States
St. Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Unplugged since... 2016
mbmbmbmbmb
This week we are getting Brass: Lancashire, The Castles of Burgundy, Scythe and a host of party games. I'm also attending a mini con so a whole lot more could see play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
I got to try out Transatlantic, which is really nice. It's like a slightly lighter, slightly faster Concordia (which is great for me because I have a lot of trouble "seeing" Concordia's systems well). The big game this Tuesday is Shipyard, which I am very excited to play. Part of my effort to play all the Vladimir Suchy games this year. This will be two down, five to go.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian "Langalore"
United States
Sewell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
4p gaming will be difficult this week due to my daughter's rehearsals for her middle school play where she is the lead in the Addams Family musical.

Probably mostly children's games this week with the 5 year old - Outfoxed!, Dragon's Breath, Stone Soup.

Maybe a 2p game with my wife - Targi (which I just picked up again after selling it a couple of years ago when it was OOP).

Maybe a solo game - Spirit Island because I haven't played this in 3 weeks and really want to get in a couple of plays soon.

We all can't wait to get back into Chronicles of Crime, though. Loved our first play but now we haven't had time as a family because of the musical.

Also, my FLGS is having an auction this weekend and I've entered 9 lots in it. I hope to make at least $150 in credit. Last time up I ended with $425 but I sold Antiquity and Scythe in that auction.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking like I'll get my second chance to play Wingspan tonight, and tomorrow night I think I've got a seat at Chris Miller's game of Trickerion (finally). The rest of the week remains shrouded in mystery, but I predict some party games on Thursday since I'm hosting another after-hours game night at work...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
cuteusagi wrote:
Good morning, Pegheads! Last weekend I got to experience my very first escape room (IRL). I really enjoyed the experience, and while I don't think I'll be seeking out the experience often, I'm definitely up for doing it again in a while. But now I'm really pumped to keep playing through the EXIT: Das Spiel. So my question this week is: when have you done something in real life that has gotten you pumped to play a game or a game that has gotten you pumped for doing something in real life?

Interesting question. I'm not sure. I'm certainly inspired to design games with certain themes after doing an activity or reading about an event. Does that count? I'm reading Robert Harris' Pompeii at the moment, and because of that I've started designing a game about building the aqueducts of ancient Rome to supply water to towns around Rome...

cuteusagi wrote:
But what the pegheads really want to know is...what are you playing this week?

Well, not a lot of published games right now, however we had our monthly playtest meetup last night. Playtested two games; one was my friend Chris' tile-laying game about building up Rome (went well), and the other was Rhys' game called Cargo Embargo about moving cargo around pirate-ridden seas, which we've played once before. This was SO much fun, I laughed and laughed so much. It's basically a dexterity pick up and deliver game - get cubes, load them onto your little cardstock boat, push the boat around the board [with one hand, only pushing] and deliver the right colours to the right coloured ports, or to the Pirate base which takes anything (but you have to roll a 6 to deliver as it's illegal cargo). This game we had so many times when we stacked the cargo far too high on the boats and it kept all falling off into the sea (and then other players came and picked it all up). Hilarious stuff. Plus, Rhys added a proper eyepatch into the game for the "FOG" event (that each player has to wear during that round), which was just genius. I managed to win with 112vp, when everyone else was on about 50vp. My treasure chest (oh yes, game also has little treasure chests to store your gold) was overflowing by game end!

Rest of the week: There's a new game design meetup starting on Friday which I'm going to; not sure what to expect from it, but it's another chance to try out some more games. And then I've got solo playtesting to do the rest of the week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello, Pegheads!

As to those real-life events which excite me to play games...as an avid lover of history, whenever I visit a museum, battlefield, or a significant historical location, I'm already thinking of how to turn it into a fun and engaging game. To that end, I have at least a half-dozen ideas which are in different states of progress.

This week, I'll run my D&D 3.5 adventure and otherwise I'll conduct another half-dozen playtests (Stonemaier's civ game) most evenings at my AirBnB near the Pentagon as I'm drilling this week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Coldwater Crown with Coldwater Crown: The Sea expansion with my daughter last night and she brought her boyfriend to play as well. During his first turn, I learned he was colorblind, and this game is ALL about strategically removing one of six colors of bait out of your tackle box (play area). I notice many games have symbols or shapes to be more color independant, but the bait pieces are all the same shape, and I didn't know how to over come the problem. We did help him, but I could tell he wasn't having as much fun and was hesitant when he was trying to pick pieces to remove. Still, time with family was awesome. My daughter smoked us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Got in some weeknight gaming last night! Hooray! We enjoyed a very tense game of Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation—Legolas defeated the flying Nazgul and Merry defeated the Witchking, but it was all in vain as Frodo and Sam were separated outside Fangorn and Frodo was defeated. After that we played Mottainai and my long-term strategy of using the Om-work Hairpin was thwarted by Paul's speedy paper strategy. Going to need a rematch soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grishny wrote:
Looking like I'll get my second chance to play Wingspan tonight, and tomorrow night I think I've got a seat at Chris Miller's game of Trickerion (finally). The rest of the week remains shrouded in mystery, but I predict some party games on Thursday since I'm hosting another after-hours game night at work...

At my game night on Tuesday, I got to play SHIPYARD (which I really enjoyed!) and watched a group of five pick up and play my copy of WINGSPAN. During the breaks between a couple of my turns, I popped over to fill in some rules gaps (didn't have time to teach it properly, alas). Then I watched as they took 2.5 hours to play the game. We finished a 3p game of Shipyard before they finished Wingspan. OOF. That's too long for that game.

voodoochyl wrote:
Played Coldwater Crown with Coldwater Crown: The Sea expansion with my daughter last night and she brought her boyfriend to play as well. During his first turn, I learned he was colorblind, and this game is ALL about strategically removing one of six colors of bait out of your tackle box (play area). I notice many games have symbols or shapes to be more color independant, but the bait pieces are all the same shape, and I didn't know how to over come the problem. We did help him, but I could tell he wasn't having as much fun and was hesitant when he was trying to pick pieces to remove. Still, time with family was awesome. My daughter smoked us.

Ouch. Those are bad pieces for colorblind folks. I think a set of colored discs with symbols or letters on them would be the way to go, though it would mean doing a whole swap out.

It's frustrating that companies don't think about this as a standard part of design. Our current dice game, for instance, we're looking at using some translucent dice and some opaque dice so that red/green is also opaque/translucent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
...and watched a group of five pick up and play my copy of WINGSPAN. During the breaks between a couple of my turns, I popped over to fill in some rules gaps (didn't have time to teach it properly, alas). Then I watched as they took 2.5 hours to play the game. We finished a 3p game of Shipyard before they finished Wingspan. OOF. That's too long for that game.

That was the story of my life. My game has been played four times. Only once by me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
voodoochyl wrote:
Quote:
...and watched a group of five pick up and play my copy of WINGSPAN. During the breaks between a couple of my turns, I popped over to fill in some rules gaps (didn't have time to teach it properly, alas). Then I watched as they took 2.5 hours to play the game. We finished a 3p game of Shipyard before they finished Wingspan. OOF. That's too long for that game.

That was the story of my life. My game has been played four times. Only once by me.

If you (both of you) want to get more plays of it in, I can recommend the solo mode...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
voodoochyl wrote:
Quote:

I have had the luxury to play my copy plenty (11 times), so I was more lamenting those poor fellas who played it so slowly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:

Ouch. Those are bad pieces for colorblind folks. I think a set of colored discs with symbols or letters on them would be the way to go, though it would mean doing a whole swap out.

Oddly, just last night I got to play the Emporer S4 game Mystery of the Temples, which came with little plastic jewels and a punchboard of tokens for the jewels that had different drawings for each. It didn't specifically say it was to solve colorblind issues, but it absolutely could serve that purpose.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vorpal Greatsword
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yesterday was the Southern Board Game Festival in Lafayette. I helped teach a few games and I demoed Crusaders: Thy Will Be Done. I had a game group all demoing together, so there was a nice level of table talk and they all seemed to enjoy the game! I also got to play a few new to me games: Blue Lagoon, Wingspan, and Favor of the Pharaoh.

I missed on a chance to play Downforce, but one of my friends bought it so hopefully I will get to play very soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
Grishny wrote:

So to follow up, Wingspan and Trickerion both happened! Thursday I got to play Knit Wit, The Mind, Reef, and NMBR 9. Saturday I got in a game of Anachrony, using some of the optional & expansion stuff for the first time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A mystery-filled weekend. After a frustrating play of case 03 of Detective: A Modern Crime Board Game on Friday evening, my wife and I had a pretty fun play of case 04 on Saturday morning and decided to sprint for the end by playing case 05 on Saturday afternoon. We ended up getting "win" conditions on 4 of the 5 cases (number 2 was a loss, number 3 was a "win" but irritating). Looking forward to the LA Crimes expansion.

Sunday saw a delightful game of London (Second Edition), with a late game gamble NOT paying off and my wife walking away with a nine point victory. Then, in the evening, a quick game of Qwixx and a satisfying game of Wingspan in which I got an hilarious combo wherein one bird copied another bird's scavenger power, meaning a 61cm bird was hunting for 75cm birds and I won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Huminski
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, after a...chaotic...week (which had nothing to do with boardgames or the Pegs), I ended up plying two games yesterday: Doctor Who: Time of the Daleks (which I won) and Dice Forge (which I most assuredly did not).

Yay! Another game off the Shelf of Shame...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.