Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Irwin Dolobowsky
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Patrick - Do you have a list you maintain of what was discussed when? Sharing it on the website would be awesome if so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Kelly
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do not. However, our site has a search function, so it’s pretty easy to find out if and when we discuss a specific title. I recall the titles we discuss and then just have to search for when it was discussed. We do keep a running tabulation of all of our featured reviews and their ratings.

https://bluepegpinkpeg.com/game-ratings-page-3/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Stutz
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Exceed: Street Fighter
Starship Samurai

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore del Popolo
msg tools
mb
Do they have to be new games? Sometimes its nice to hear about some of the older games that we know and love.

Either way, some suggestions are:

Dungeon Petz
The Estates (you have to try this one!)
Lignum (I recall you talked about it already but its a beast and I'd love to hear a deep dive)
Founders of Gloomhaven
Nusfjord
Rococo
Russian Railroads
Vinhos

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore del Popolo
msg tools
mb
Oh, you gotta go Gaia Project! I know it has been talked about, but I'd love to hear your thoughts on it, especially given the links to Terra Mystica.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Age of Steam
Bruxelles 1893
Glass Road (I think you might have done this one?)
Three Kingdoms Redux
Chicago Express
Blue Lagoon the only newer game that has captivated me lately
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Garbe
United States
Waukesha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Ganymede
Gingerbread House
Nusfjord
Papua
Reykholt
Solenia
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Stearns
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think a lot of mine have been mentioned, but I will second (or third) them here!

Anachrony
Cerebria
Vinhos
Escape Plan
something from What's Your Game- Nippon, Signorie, Zhanguo, etc.
Alexandria (kidding), kind of, you can have my copy for free...)
Alchemists
Feld suite- compare/contrast
First Class
Pathogenesis
Holding On
Narcos (because Robb loves hidden movement!)
Reykholt or At the Gates of Loyang
Scarlet Pimpernel
Tokyo Series
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
Blue Peg, Pink Peg Gaming Podcast
mbmbmbmbmb
dukane wrote:
Age of Steam
Bruxelles 1893
Glass Road (I think you might have done this one?)
Three Kingdoms Redux
Chicago Express
Blue Lagoon the only newer game that has captivated me lately

We did Bruxelles early on (episode 24)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas DiDonato
United States
Bear
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've listened to almost every episode (except a few at the beginning), so I am relatively confident these have never been covered (I should add that they are also some of my favorites):

ZhanGuo (although this game has gotten mention in passing, I don't think it has ever gotten any kind of treatment--please do send me the episode if I'm mistaken)

Spirit Island (surprising, given Jeremy's love of low-luck co-ops)

Madeira (I promise I don't work for WYG!)

Also, apologies in advance if these games have already been mentioned--this thread has gotten so long and I am lazy....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Edge

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently got a play of Crusaders: Thy Will Be Done and would love to hear a deep dive on that game. There's a part of me that's afraid there's not much replay in the box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian "Langalore"
United States
Sewell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pure0evile wrote:

I'll let Jeremy speak for himself, but I get the feeling that it might be too long / complex for a usual review. I can't remember the pegs reviewing a game that takes most 4 player groups 2+ hours on the regular. I know a lot of 4 player groups are about 1-1.5 hours once they've played a dozen or so games, but most first 3-5 plays are in the 3 hour range (I think).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
weirdlaugh wrote:
Recently got a play of Crusaders: Thy Will Be Done and would love to hear a deep dive on that game. There's a part of me that's afraid there's not much replay in the box.

There isn't. Already sold mine after 5-6 plays because each game felt exactly the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kirk W.

San Antonio
Texas
msg tools
If y'all are having difficulty finding new interesting games to deep dive, it does not hurt to temporarily shift focus. Try comparing/contrasting similar games. Such as:

1. Game mechanisms/theme/etc, which do it better/worse?
2. Game A is hard to get, try game B.
3. Revisit older reviews (a re-reroll!) and compare to newer games
4. Which games are terrible if you have sausage fingers or a big hurt alley?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or, which games are terrible if you're wearing black jeans

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas DiDonato
United States
Bear
Delaware
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Langalore wrote:
pure0evile wrote:

I'll let Jeremy speak for himself, but I get the feeling that it might be too long / complex for a usual review. I can't remember the pegs reviewing a game that takes most 4 player groups 2+ hours on the regular. I know a lot of 4 player groups are about 1-1.5 hours once they've played a dozen or so games, but most first 3-5 plays are in the 3 hour range (I think).

Fair enough! Perhaps I could instead appeal to Rob's love of asymmetry?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Edge

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmsmith2434 wrote:
weirdlaugh wrote:

There isn't. Already sold mine after 5-6 plays because each game felt exactly the same.

Sad to hear. Was there a lack of viable alternate strategies to play? Did the change of knights not effectively alter play style? How did the "sameness" appear in your group?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a different order of knights every game. All they really do is slightly change how you optimally move your pieces around your rondel. They do not change your strategy for the game, which is always "outbuild and outcrusade your opponents". It just ends up being a Race to the East feeling game every time with some slight tactics along the way depending on what exactly your opponents are doing at the moment.

There's really no long-term planning in the game. The current state of your rondel and the board make it pretty obvious what the optimal next 2-3 moves is going to be ("Travel-Crusade-Build", "Travel-Muster-Crusade", "Travel-Build", etc...)

It just feels extremely repetitive with no build up of tension during the game and no really exciting moments. Just keep running your little engine until the clock (point supply) runs out. Then count it all up.

It is not a BAD game. Almost everyone I played it with really enjoyed it. It just didn't meet the expectations I had for it, and not what I'm looking for in a game at this stage in my gaming journey. The randomization of the board, player rondels, and orders of knights all together SEEM like they would create a high replayability factor. But they don't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Edge

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jmsmith2434 wrote:
I played a different order of knights every game. All they really do is slightly change how you optimally move your pieces around your rondel. They do not change your strategy for the game, which is always "outbuild and outcrusade your opponents". It just ends up being a Race to the East feeling game every time with some slight tactics along the way depending on what exactly your opponents are doing at the moment.

There's really no long-term planning in the game. The current state of your rondel and the board make it pretty obvious what the optimal next 2-3 moves is going to be ("Travel-Crusade-Build", "Travel-Muster-Crusade", "Travel-Build", etc...)

It just feels extremely repetitive with no build up of tension during the game and no really exciting moments. Just keep running your little engine until the clock (point supply) runs out. Then count it all up.

It is not a BAD game. Almost everyone I played it with really enjoyed it. It just didn't meet the expectations I had for it, and not what I'm looking for in a game at this stage in my gaming journey. The randomization of the board, player rondels, and orders of knights all together SEEM like they would create a high replayability factor. But they don't.

Thanks for the details. You may have just saved ne some money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Kelly
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
To everyone, thanks for some great suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Kelly
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pure0evile wrote:
I've listened to almost every episode (except a few at the beginning), so I am relatively confident these have never been covered (I should add that they are also some of my favorites):

ZhanGuo (although this game has gotten mention in passing, I don't think it has ever gotten any kind of treatment--please do send me the episode if I'm mistaken)

Madeira (I promise I don't work for WYG!)

Also, apologies in advance if these games have already been mentioned--this thread has gotten so long and I am lazy....

None of those have been discussed yet. Spirit Island is on the horizon, though not necessarily a deep dive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgueni K
Canada
flag msg tools
pablopk wrote:
Spirit Island is on the horizon, though not necessarily a deep dive.

That would be interesting to listen to as it's my favourite coop and in the top 5 of all games.

Though I have to say that I find Spirit Island base set to be different from the game with Branch and Claw expansion. And both versions seem to appeal differently to different people. Base set has very little randomness or luck, and it's 99% strategy. The expansion adds a big element of surprise that turns the game a bit more tactical and becomes maybe 60-70% strategy and the rest becomes tactics, dealing with new changes that are revealed at the last second.

Hopefully you get to experience both games if you do a review for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian "Langalore"
United States
Sewell
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekster wrote:
pablopk wrote:
Spirit Island is on the horizon, though not necessarily a deep dive.

That would be interesting to listen to as it's my favourite coop and in the top 5 of all games.

Though I have to say that I find Spirit Island base set to be different from the game with Branch and Claw expansion. And both versions seem to appeal differently to different people. Base set has very little randomness or luck, and it's 99% strategy. The expansion adds a big element of surprise that turns the game a bit more tactical and becomes maybe 60-70% strategy and the rest becomes tactics, dealing with new changes that are revealed at the last second.

Hopefully you get to experience both games if you do a review for it.

Have you ever played solo? The solo game can be quite luck dependent but it's hard to really notice. Sometimes you can destroy the invaders only because you get luck explore cards where you're already set up.

I haven't played B&C yet.

Spirit Island is one of my top 3 games of all-time. I can't decide between Arboretum (2p), At the Gates of Loyang (solo), or this (solo) wins.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgueni K
Canada
flag msg tools
Langalore wrote:
Have you ever played solo? The solo game can be quite luck dependent but it's hard to really notice. Sometimes you can destroy the invaders only because you get luck explore cards where you're already set up.

I've heard that mentioned on a few occasions that some people got very lucky and ended it very early. Hasn't happened to me as the only times I played solo was either 2 spirits and 2 boards or 1 spirit and 2 boards, but I do see that possibility if you have only 1 board and get the proper fast powers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2 , 3  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.