Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
If wishes were fishes all wrapped up in rices
badge
we'd all have a plateful of sushi.
mbmbmbmbmb
batman15 wrote:
Dinosaur Island for example has the person with the fewest victory points go first in the next round.

Couldn't you just "house rule" this for Dinogenics?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
batman15 wrote:
corkysru wrote:
batman15 wrote:
corkysru wrote:
All the complaining in this forum about helping the last player is ridiculous.

The game was designed to benefit those who play well.
It's not like the game is very long to begin with.
Keep it that way.

People staying as first player obviously made better decisions than everyone else. They should be rewarded. This isn't some bleeding heart ran organization trying to help people who made mistakes. This is about running a fricking amusement park with creatures that can kill people in a heartbeat with little to no effort. Good decisions should be rewarded. Bad ones punished. That's the style of the game. It's not the only one in the world that does that. There is no runaway leader problem.. you're just playing wrong. Hell there was one game I was first player EVERY TURN and I lost.

I couldn’t help but laugh a bit here at the level of annamosity in this post, are you sure your not still upset over that loss

Ha! Maybe a little sore still. I thought I had that one in the bag too. hahah.

batman15 wrote:

What your rant isn’t taking into account is there is a fair amount of luck in n the game. What cards you are dealt, what building tiles come up, etc. Most games have a way of mitigating a player starting the game with a luck draw. This game does not.

Luck is the roll of the die. The cards you draw are fairly situational. But you can get more. Is it possible to get absolutely useless cards every single draw in one game out of a 100? Sure. They are random. That being said most of them are flexible enough to either be played into or used in a way that is helpful. I don't think the element of luck is as important in the card draw as in the dice. And the dice you can ALMOST always avoid if played carefully enough. High risk. High reward.

This game also has more ways to draw cards than most that have that sort of mitigation.

I reiterate This is a game about raising very large sometimes very vicious creatures that can kill with no effort. You're playing with fire. This isn't about shipping grain to some no name town in Europe to appease some no name ruler.

Is the element of luck removed from this game? No. Should it be? No. That's not this game.

batman15 wrote:
Most games have a way of mitigating a player starting the game with a luck draw.

This statement confuses me. Please give examples of ways other games provide methods of overcoming the perfect draw.

Dinosaur Island for example has the person with the fewest victory points go first in the next round.

I’ve seen quite a few games of Dinogenics played where one lucky person starts the game with the right cards to make a high rep/VP Dino and no matter how tight everyone else plays, the ability to go first every time makes it difficult to slow them down or even catch them. This doesn’t happen all the time, or even most of the time, but I would estimate it happens in about 25-30% of our games. To me that seems like a flaw. I agree with the person who recommended extending the number of rounds. Many of the times we have had a player jump far ahead turn one, someone manages to “almost” catch them on the last round, but just comes up short.

Honestly... I doubt you were playing "tight" enough. Although tight isn't quite the right word for it. It's more you have to play loose enough to catch up. Gain a few scandals early on. Catch up in points. Then get rid of them.

I don't want to see this game nerfed to satisfy people who can't game this system correctly.

DI's going first rule is compensation... it's strategy. I frequently let people get eaten just to go first.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Prev «  1 , 2  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.