Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Patrick O'Sullivan
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
So this game went live on Kickstarter Thursday, and has been generating a lot of discussion over on /r/boardgames, mostly about whether it's worth the high price ($79 USD for the game, plus $16 USD shipping to the US, more to Europe and the UK). Has anyone here played at a con? What did you think? Do you have any thoughts about the game, or plans to back?

Full disclosure: I played two rounds at PAX Unplugged this last year and loved it. I'm also currently a kickstarter backer, but I haven't decided whether I want to stay in or not. It's definitely a game that wouldn't see as much play as most of my collection.

But I'd be interested to hear what y'all think too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Liggett
United States
Celina
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen it or played it. Understand the price being so high, as it is coming from Australia, but that would be the first reason I wouldn't back it.

The second reason,30-120 minutes is a big swath of time especially for a social deduction game. I just can't see this game being played that often.

I would gladly play it once to try it out, but couldn't see me being the person to drop 100 bucks for a game that may get played once a year.

The box is the most "innovative" thing about the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hayashida
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I love social deduction games, but I just don't think I could get this to the table enough to make it "worth" it to me.

I would love to play it though - maybe at SHUX or somewhere else.

We're getting good mileage out of Avalon at my FLGS, and I think it's the simplicity that makes it work, not the added complexity that makes it in the regular rotation.

Blood on the Clock Tower just wouldn't. I could see it being an "event game" - but maybe I'd want the Bezier Games $20 version...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, pretty sure that if this is so good, it'll get wide distribution with a more normal price (especially when it comes to shipping) later.

The publishers apparently don't even have their production nailed down at this point, and it might well be the case that it gets delayed due to the non-standard components.... The campaign has a lot of red flags that should at least make backers pause and think hard about why you're backing the game.
If you're backing it because you're behind the designers, and you just want them to be able tolaunch this product (and don't care what or when you receive it), backing it is a good idea! But if you maybe don't care that much about the game, and also ~100$ is a lot of money for you, maybe hold off.

I'd love to try the game some time, but I'm for sure not backing it, as I actually disliked most social deduction games I've played.

Edit: Inserted missing word that was kind of important
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kynan Stuttard
Australia
Narre Warren South
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played it at PAX Aus last year. One of the best social deduction games I've played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
Blue Peg, Pink Peg Gaming Podcast
mbmbmbmbmb
this looks interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Kelly
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The game play looks interesting, but it all looks super sketch to me. The kickstarter sends up a ton of red flags. I say caveat emptor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Szczepanski
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pablopk wrote:
The game play looks interesting, but it all looks super sketch to me. The kickstarter sends up a ton of red flags. I say caveat emptor.

100% what I thought.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Mitchell
United States
Santa Rosa Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pablopk wrote:

I don't have much interest in this game, mostly because I'd never get that type of group together. However, I'm not opposed to playing it if there was a large group, and a few experienced players.

That being said, what do you think are the red flags? It looks like to rule book is not finished, and all the reviews are over the top good. I did watch the SUSD review....and Quinns gushed over the game....but I also did notice he seems to have a VERY nice new flat with great view ;-) (actually I think he did try to emphasize that the game is expensive, and requires a LARGE group...I think I'd rather play Captain Sonar if I had 8 people)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Kelly
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Baker3md wrote:
pablopk wrote:

I don't have much interest in this game, mostly because I'd never get that type of group together. However, I'm not opposed to playing it if there was a large group, and a few experienced players.

That being said, what do you think are the red flags? It looks like to rule book is not finished, and all the reviews are over the top good. I did watch the SUSD review....and Quinns gushed over the game....but I also did notice he seems to have a VERY nice new flat with great view ;-) (actually I think he did try to emphasize that the game is expensive, and requires a LARGE group...I think I'd rather play Captain Sonar if I had 8 people)

Not to be too coy about it, but I will tell you what I told Robb when he texted me to ask, "Save it for the podcast."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick O'Sullivan
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I agree on the red flags. All prototype components (with almost nothing in the way of "This is how the final product will differ from what you're looking at now") is one, very high shipping costs is one (assuming that new techniques actually need to be developed, justifying the high base price), first-time creators is one, unproven production method is one, and I'm sure I could find a couple more if I looked. They estimate a January delivery [Edit: Oh wait, that's one too!], and I'd be surprised if it gets shipped by January 2021.

That being said, I do want to encourage anyone who likes social deduction games to try this at a con. It was a highlight of PAX Unplugged for me, and I (gently) pushed all my friends who went to PAX East to try a session. The gameplay is fun enough for me to evangelize.

But please, please don't think I'm trying to push anyone to back. As Patrick said, looking at the campaign, there are a whole bunch of reasons to not want to commit that much money, and as the rest of the internet said, that much money is a lot, even without the red flags.

I was more interested in whether anyone (Robb especially, but any fan of existing social deduction games) had played, and what their reactions to the experience were. Excited to hear it'll have at least some presence on the podcast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Delides
Australia
Perth
Western Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The tone of that SU&SD video was very odd compared to their normal fare. Especially strange for a VERY expensive social deduction game that's raising funds on Kickstarter right now. I've also seen a few other board game "influencers" gushing about it around the tracks. It just seems a bit...off.

For what it's worth, I'd be interested in trying the game out in the right environment. Seems like an interesting convention/event type game if you had a good moderator running the show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dakkith wrote:
The tone of that SU&SD video was very odd compared to their normal fare. Especially strange for a VERY expensive social deduction game that's raising funds on Kickstarter right now. I've also seen a few other board game "influencers" gushing about it around the tracks. It just seems a bit...off.

For what it's worth, I'd be interested in trying the game out in the right environment. Seems like an interesting convention/event type game if you had a good moderator running the show.
In the case of SU&SD at least, I am very sure that there's nothing nefarious about it -- it's just exactly the kind of game Quinns would love.

BUT I do think their video was unreflected and too much. They normally have a very clear anti-hype, wait-for-retail stance, plus they promote affordable games and often say "Yes, this is good, but you can get something else that's really great and will do a similar thing for a faction of a price (usually an older game)".
To throw that out the window just because you really like the game seems ill-advised to me, especially considering that this will almost certainly run into production problems, and have trouble with having become such a huge project.
It seems disingenious to advocate caution for literally every other game (and they've spoken at least mildly disparagingly about other boardgame media who talk positively about fresh Kickstarters), and then do the same thing -- they keep justifying it saying that this is such a special game, but really, it's not any more special, or any more a labour of love, than many other new games that other people are excited about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.