Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Stockdale
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
I sporadically review games...
badge
... It's a running kidney... Kidneys are kind of my profession...
mbmbmbmbmb
With the expansion and a 2nd Kickstarter announced now... What are everyone's dreams and wishes for this excellent game? I figure the expansion is most likely set for the most part... But still the might be wishes.

My hopes:
- more dinosaur types (this is confirmed based on the picture)
- Water dinosaurs (confirmed)
- More buildings (confirmed)
- Balance for runway leader within the spirit of the game and fun (not to discuss this here as it's been discussed a lot elsewhere)
- Metal coins. This is the one part of the game that isn't deluxe. I would expect it to be an add on but I think it's been shown people will pay for metal coins... And this is no exception. Please give us metal coins as an add-on so everything is up to snuff and deluxe!
- Game trays insert. This would just be nice, but I would love a game trays insert that keeps everything in the base box including the expansion. As an add on would be totally fine. That would be amazing for easy set up and storage. Or at the least a licensed wooden insert or crate would be awesome.

Anyone else have other thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reddish22
United States
Nampa
Idaho
flag msg tools
designer
the Yellow Sign?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My biggest hope, 100% is a slight tweak to the DNA system of the game. We need things to be a little less determined by the random draw IMO. I was thinking like maybe creating some rule where you can always create a dinosaur by substituting 2 of any card for essentially a wild. That way when you get caught digging and digging for cards you want, you could build the dinos that you want.

I think this would fix any perceived runaway leader problem. Maybe, to that point, the cost in other cards is dependent upon your position - so say first player could get a wild DNA at the cost of 4 cards of any type, second player - 3, third and on - 2. Also, adding some actual "wild" DNA to the deck could help as well.

I look forward to the other additions but truthfully this is the ONE aspect I'd like to see changed, I have other ideas on how to overhaul it a little more too. To give greater freedom, replace the deck of single dino DNA with cards that have say, three types each. So a single card could be used, just for example, to make a Raptor, Stego, and Bronto.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Grenard
msg tools
publisher
reddish22 wrote:
My biggest hope, 100% is a slight tweak to the DNA system of the game. We need things to be a little less determined by the random draw IMO. I was thinking like maybe creating some rule where you can always create a dinosaur by substituting 2 of any card for essentially a wild. That way when you get caught digging and digging for cards you want, you could build the dinos that you want.

I think this would fix any perceived runaway leader problem. Maybe, to that point, the cost in other cards is dependent upon your position - so say first player could get a wild DNA at the cost of 4 cards of any type, second player - 3, third and on - 2. Also, adding some actual "wild" DNA to the deck could help as well.

I look forward to the other additions but truthfully this is the ONE aspect I'd like to see changed, I have other ideas on how to overhaul it a little more too. To give greater freedom, replace the deck of single dino DNA with cards that have say, three types each. So a single card could be used, just for example, to make a Raptor, Stego, and Bronto.

1) There is a significant change to the DNA in the expansion. There is a new spot where you can discard 1 money and 1 DNA card to get a "Refined DNA" that is a wildcard token. With the addition of so many dinosaurs in the expansion, this feels like a great way to give players more leverage.

2) We are looking into the runaway leader. Lots of testing going on, and we have some good ideas.

3) Back in development, we did experiment with what was essentially "mana" colors for creating dinosaurs. Two red and a black made a Raptor, for example. It never felt quite right, but that doesn't mean it's not an idea we'd love to try in future games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Grenard
msg tools
publisher
chrisoc13 wrote:
With the expansion and a 2nd Kickstarter announced now... What are everyone's dreams and wishes for this excellent game? I figure the expansion is most likely set for the most part... But still the might be wishes.

My hopes:
- Metal coins. This is the one part of the game that isn't deluxe. I would expect it to be an add on but I think it's been shown people will pay for metal coins... And this is no exception. Please give us metal coins as an add-on so everything is up to snuff and deluxe!
- Game trays insert. This would just be nice, but I would love a game trays insert that keeps everything in the base box including the expansion. As an add on would be totally fine. That would be amazing for easy set up and storage. Or at the least a licensed wooden insert or crate would be awesome.

Metal coins: We'd LOVE to. We'd have to offer it as an add-on, due to the cost of them, and we'd have to sell at least 300 units or it would be incredibly expensive. We're evaluating it.

Game Tray: I don't think we'll be able to offer it, but I did send a complimentary copy of DinoGenics to Broken Token, in case they are ever interested in producing an insert for the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stockdale
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Would be great if broken token decided to make an insert.

Metal coins though... Yeah that sounds awesome. Hopefully there's enough interest... Of course any that aren't bought during the Kickstarter would sell later I would hope... I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Either way I'm in for the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
chrisoc13 wrote:

- Balance for runway leader within the spirit of the game and fun (not to discuss this
If you bring something up why can't we discuss it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Wilson
United Kingdom
Loughborough
Leicestershire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know it's a feature not a bug, but the DNA Market being player driven really causes some stagnation in the 2 player game. I'd love a varient where the spaces are refilled occasionally to represent other players selling DNA.
My wife's main criticism is that she can't easily read the font on the board - she finds it very difficult to see and differentiate the numbers. She is also unsure why the Laurel Wreath isn't VPs as she assumed it would be.
I think a lot of these issues could be dealt with by some sort of player aid, rather than a drastic rethink of the game!

BTW, I know it's early days but if you change things for the 2nd edition are you thinking of having a 1st edition upgrade pack as an option on your Kickstarter? I'd love to be able to have an up-to-date game, but I don't really want to buy the whole thing again. I've been penalised before by backing someone's game on Kickstarter, only for them to release an updated 2nd edition making my version out of date. I won't mention any names, but I would hope not to see this again here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stockdale
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
chrisoc13 wrote:

- Balance for runway leader within the spirit of the game and fun (not to discuss this

Oh people can do what they want. I don't care one way or the other. I don't care to discuss it further but have at it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stockdale
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah a variant to move the market in two players is a good idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molina
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
chrisoc13 wrote:

I think the idea of this thread is “what things are you hoping for” not “is there a runaway leader problem” as there are SEVERAL threads that discus that topic already. It would be nice to not see this evolve into that but keep to the actual topic of being a wish list for expansion possibilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy D
New Zealand
Invercargill
Southland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know how feasible it is to have add-ons such as coins and wooden pieces. I like blinging the games up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
michail tridimas
Greece
athens
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Great news!
Im looking forward for the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duarte
Portugal
Ponte de Lima
Ponte de Lima
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope the coins are a add-on. They will make things more expensive and I don't really care for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molina
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Could always get a set of the Roll Player metal coins. They are nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Wilson
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I've always felt that if I were going to get metal coins I'd just get a nice generic set rather than worrying about getting different sets for different games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stockdale
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I get that lots of people don't mind using generic money or poker chips. I'm fine with that too. But I especially love game specific metal coins and wasting money on my hobby. So... Bring on the custom coins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barb Bliss
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
I'm late the the party as usual. More mutant facilities would be great OR fix the can't find the dna card you need problem.

We also had a runaway leader issue. Our house rule was that if you're going to be 1st for the 3rd time in a row, you automatically get put in last place.

We also had a dearth of rampaging. It's only happened once in the three times this has been played, and that was thanks to a news card. As that seemed like a fun mechanic, it was disappointing that it wasn't happening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Bigness
msg tools
I would love to see the corrupted T Rex meeples as an add on in the next Kickstarter as I missed the first Kickstarter when it was going on. Keeping my fingers crossed that they bring back those cool looking meeples for the next campaign (Wink Wink Nod.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molina
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
stevenbiggie wrote:
I would love to see the corrupted T Rex meeples as an add on in the next Kickstarter as I missed the first Kickstarter when it was going on. Keeping my fingers crossed that they bring back those cool looking meeples for the next campaign (Wink Wink Nod.)

I'd be surprised if they didn't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.