Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Morning Pegheads!

Wow, it's the first day of April already! On a day in which I hear Tom Vasel is selling the Dice Tower to Hasbro, Rahdo has committed to only ever playing 4 player games from now on, Stronghold Games and Portal Games have been bought by Asmodee, and Blue Peg Pink Peg has declared they're changing their name to a more colourblind-friendly "Light-Grey Peg Dark-Grey Peg", it's time to hear all your news stories from the boardgame world on this most especial date in the calendar.

And for this week's question of the week, I was prompted by something I heard on a podcast last week (I forget exactly which), where one of the hosts said rulebooks aren't "fun" to read and they couldn't imagine anyone taking one to read in bed. To which I thought... "crumbs, I've taken a rulebook to bed to read before" (not often, I should note, but also not just once or twice). So, as we all know Robb often reads rulebooks on the porcelain throne, I wondered what other weird and obscure places people read rulebooks? And anyone else occasionally read them in bed?...

But, as always, what the pegheads REALLY want to know is: What are you playing this week?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Great questions, Nick!

I will ponder the "today's news" question for a bit. But I definitely read rulebooks everywhere. In fact, I've lost two different ones because I make a habit of taking them with me to read on the train, bringing them to bed for evening reading (Underwater Cities is on my nightstand right now). I have more than once brought a game to game night and then realized I'd left the rulebook somewhere else. I don't have any spots that I think of as "weird" because I read them everywhere.

I don't really know what games are "on tap" for this week. I am planning to attend my college's board game club this week, which means lighter games. I will have to see if I can get one of the party-style games played, perhaps. Maybe something I haven't played before. Hmmmmm.

Friday I'm going to Protospiel Milwaukee, where we should be able to get some good playtesting done. Right now that's a strong focus for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Games Workshop is always good for an April Fool's Joke (probably only funny if you are a Warhammer enthusiast):
https://www.warhammer-community.com/2019/04/01/introducing-t...

As for the question of the week, I do not read rulebooks any place strange. I have my routine where I set up my game on the table as a visual aid, then start working through the book. I could read the book w/o a set up, but that would be like leaving the volume on an odd number, or putting on my right sock/right shoe first, or peeling a banana skin three ways...yuk

This week: another attempt at the first play of Warhammer Quest: Blackstone Fortress on Thursday. Saturday I'll be down at the FLGS potentially for minis gaming, but I kind of want to pull out a board game. I have a crazy idea of learning and teaching Defenders of the Last Stand. We'll see what happens there. The main group will likely get together Sunday. Depending on who can attend, we may play a couple months of Pandemic Legacy: Season 2 and try to get closer to finishing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nick,

I can only imagine by the sparse number of responses thus far that our Pegheads must actually be playing games!

As to your inquiry, I, like Brendan, read rules everywhere, in bed, on a plane, on a train, in a car (not driving), on the Metro here in the nation's capital, and everywhere in-between.

As for this week, I'll take a bit of a hiatus from gaming, including playtesting (yes, Nick, after 24 plays of the Civilization game, I'm good for awhile) as Ping and I are heading to Europe for 10 days, with about 3 days or so in Barcelona, Paris, and Amsterdam.

Hope everyone has a great two weeks, and I'll be back on BGG o/a Apr 16th!

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Professor wrote:
Nick,

I can only imagine by the sparse number of responses thus far that our Pegheads must actually be playing games!

I assume so! That, or they're all reading rulebooks in bed now.

So, end of week wrap-up for me: No published games played at all, but I have been playtesting a solo mode for the new Daniele Tascini game, of which I can only tantalisingly say about the game: It's a lot of fun!

The weekend plans: With 3 kids off at church youth group for a couple of days, that leaves my wife and me with just the younger 2 kids; they don't play as many boardgames as their older siblings, but that also means I might just get some more solo plays in over the weekend. Been tempted to try the solo mode for Kitchen Rush recently, as that's a lot of fun multiplayer.

I've also been pushing the location I checked out the other week about hosting a game night; if they get back to me in anything like a reasonable time, we might just have time to organise a game night next Wednesday (and if not, I may just offer to host one with the co-hosts anyway). We'll see.

Have a great weekend everyone!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I read rulebooks in any out of the ordinary places in particular. I did read one in bed this week, and last week I read one on my lunch break at work, sitting at my desk, but I've never taken one to the bathroom with me, unless you count rulebooks I've downloaded onto my phone (but I don't recall ever actually reading one in there).

Gaming was fairly sparse this week; outside of our weekly Monday game night and a couple games played on Tuesday, it was a dry week.

Monday I was just in the mood for lighter weight fare and so scrapped the planned play of Terraforming Mars and got in plays of Knit Wit, King of Tokyo, Fireball Island, and Just One instead. Tuesday I got in a lunch time game of Keyforge at the game cafe, and then in the evening brought Alhambra back to the table with the family for the first time in almost two years.

No gaming the rest of the week, but yesterday I did set up and learn the rules for Downfall, which I'll be "splashing" with Envoy for TMG at my local shop for the next 4-5 weeks. (That's the rulebook I was reading in bed Friday night.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Broke out Underwater Cities on Saturday and loved it. Played it twice solo today, still loved it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:
Broke out Underwater Cities on Saturday and loved it. Played it twice solo today, still loved it.

I'm really interested in this one. Still yet to find a compelling playthrough video (Rahdo's I just couldn't get into for some reason, and Gaming Rules rule vid was fine but purely mechanical).

What is it about the game you enjoyed? (Not wanting to take away from potential podcast material for you, though!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judith Elliott
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
It occurred to me recently just how few rule books I read. Generally someone teaches me at my board game club and I teach my other friends. If I need a reminder then I watch a video. I've never really needed to learn from a rule book up until now, and I don't really know how to do it well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hallowqueen wrote:
It occurred to me recently just how few rule books I read. Generally someone teaches me at my board game club and I teach my other friends. If I need a reminder then I watch a video. I've never really needed to learn from a rule book up until now, and I don't really know how to do it well.

I think this is becoming a more frequent occurrence, too, especially in game groups - with so many games out there, it's inevitable that you'll end up playing a game that someone else owns and which they teach you.

Skills for learning rules from a rulebook: That's an interesting question. How to best learn a game from the rulebook? Might ask that in a future What Are You Playing This Week post actually.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
njshaw2 wrote:
wombat929 wrote:

I'm really interested in this one. Still yet to find a compelling playthrough video (Rahdo's I just couldn't get into for some reason, and Gaming Rules rule vid was fine but purely mechanical).

What is it about the game you enjoyed? (Not wanting to take away from potential podcast material for you, though!)

Recording initial thoughts today! I will summarize here tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Weekend update: I took a small selection of microgames with me to play with my 6yo whilst my 8yo had her gymnastics class. The class lasts an hour, and my 6yo doesn't have the longest attention span, so I figured we'd play a few of the games then have a wonder around the sports centre. Turns out, he was happy to play ALL 4 games I brought.

We played:
- Rhino Hero. Got to 8 stories high, then I had to move Rhino Hero, which unbalanced the tower and it all collapsed. So my son won.

- Mint Tin Mini Skulduggery. I was at 14vp to his 7. You need 15vp to win. It was going so well... scored 5, which puts me at bust, then he rolls a triple which caused Skullduggery to occur and all players swap points. I roll nothing good. He rolls for 5vp, but being a kind father, I used my crystal skull to smash one of the dice, thus giving him just 1vp, giving him the win.

- Mint Tin Pirates. He got some great rolls, and rolled the only double of the whole game, so had the gold cube most of the game too. I got down to the ghost pirate, held on for a little bit, did his ship a little damage, but in the end he blew up the ghost pirate too. Another win to him.

- Dicelantis. He'd never played this before, but it's easy enough. He won. 14 to 11.

So that was a 4-0 win for him. He was VERY chuffed with that. And that was 50 minutes of gaming with him, too! Pretty impressive, and despite the games all being very light, it was great fun to play them with him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judith Elliott
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
njshaw2 wrote:
Hallowqueen wrote:

I think this is becoming a more frequent occurrence, too, especially in game groups - with so many games out there, it's inevitable that you'll end up playing a game that someone else owns and which they teach you.

Skills for learning rules from a rulebook: That's an interesting question. How to best learn a game from the rulebook? Might ask that in a future What Are You Playing This Week post actually.

That would be a good question for me to see the answers to!

For me, the situation was exacerbated by gaming a lot with people who either had reached their limit on new games so we only played a selection of their favourites and the polar opposite of people always buying loads of new games and teaching them to us.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judith Elliott
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
This week I played Gloomhaven. We've been slowly making our way through the game for just over a year. I have discovered that my character goal is not only difficult but pointless! We've already opened the thing it would open. This was also the closest we came to failing, with lucky monster action draws saving us from being exhausted.

We then played one of the Deckscape games, about Eldorado. Good fun, lots of thought but we solved without that much difficulty.

Finally we played 2 of the games within one of the other locked soon in a box games - possibly the latest Unlock! One was a dinosaur one which was a bit brain breaky.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.