32 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Abstract Games» Forums » General

Subject: Richard Moxham rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Ploog
msg tools
It is my sad duty to announce that Richard Moxham, known here as mocko, has passed away on March 24. He was 68.

His memory will live on, whenever we play Morelli or NECNON. From now on, we will have to check careless word use ourselves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christian freeling
Netherlands
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
dpeggie wrote:
It is my sad duty to announce that Richard Moxham, known here as mocko, has passed away on March 24. He was 68.

His memory will live on, whenever we play Morelli or NECNON. From now on, we will have to check careless word use ourselves.

I don't know what to say. I hope his loved ones can cope with their loss. For our community it's an enormous loss too. For me and I presume for many if not all of us it comes totally unexpected. He will be missed dearly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Duncan
United States
Ithaca
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
christianF wrote:
dpeggie wrote:

I don't know what to say. I hope his loved ones can cope with their loss. For our community it's an enormous loss too. For me and I presume for many if not all of us it comes totally expected. He will be missed dearly.

Yes, this is quite the tragic surprise. He had a distinctive way with words, to be sure, which I will greatly miss. I echo Christian's well wishes for his loved ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm dumbfounded. My condolences to his family. Richard was an inteligent, opinionated gentleman and he'll be sorely missed in our small, close-knitted community. RIP.

Edit: I contacted Octavian to see if we could honor him in any way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bentley
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dpeggie wrote:

Wow. How did you find out?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Ploog
msg tools
We have been bouncing emails, discussing board games in general and Morelli in particular. His wife saw those emails and contacted me.

Colette mentioned that Richard died very suddenly. We have been in the midst of some Morelli games, with Richard playing several turns on March 23.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Buckley
England
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
23rd June: Black Thursday :(
mbmbmbmbmb
That is really sad news. I only knew him from this forum and little golem but I will miss his contributions. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Rodriguez
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very tragic. I'm primarily a lurker in this forum but I very much enjoyed reading his posts, always thought provoking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Williams
Poland
Wrocław
Dolny Śląsk
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
Wow, that's an unexpected shock. Thanks for posting the sad news.

Certainly it won't be the same here without him. I'd been aware of not seeing comments from him recently, but I never imagined this was the reason.

Knowing him only here in the Abstract forum, I had no idea of his age, nor that he was married. Condolences to his loved ones, and thanks to Richard for Morelli and lots of interesting discussions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Florent Becker
France
Orléans
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll join the chorus in lamenting Mocko. We exchanged a few emails when I discovered Morelli and he was, as he demonstrated here, at the same time thought-provoking and kind. I haven't had the occasion to play nec/non yet, save for a few games against AiAi, but I enjoy Morelli a lot.

Condolences to Colette and to his loved ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clark Rodeffer
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. I'm stunned. He will be missed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deep Fish
msg tools
Sorry to hear. I look forward to playing NECNON and am grateful to Mr. Moxham for that. To find something worthwhile and follow it in life, is a life well made. My best to Mr. Moxham's family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
So it goes.
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't know Mr. Moxham, but I did interact with him through his game on occasion. I was always impressed how he would reach out to players of Morelli and to commentary and impressions.

RIP.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My condolences to Richard's friends and family. I have enjoyed both his posts and his games a lot. I consider this a big loss for our abstract community.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Moore
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is quite a blow. He was one-of-a-kind, and added much to our community with his games and distinctive writing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Grider
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sad indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pablo Schulman
Brazil
Belo Horizonte
Minas Gerais
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A memorial has already been set up at mocko's user page by Octavian. Also, you notice a change in his avatar.

Richard Moxham
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
designer
mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joel Fox
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mb
Very sad news. His contributions here were always very thoughtful, satirical, and funny. There is certainly nobody else quite like him. Condolences to those close to him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TPoG
Denmark
flag msg tools
ISBN: 1-85723-146-5
badge
Hmm...
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow. Sad news indeed.
Thanks for posting.
Richard will surely be missed here.
Condolences to the family.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Tavener
United Kingdom
London
England
flag msg tools
designer
The overtext below is true.
badge
The overtext above is false.
mbmbmbmbmb
Sad news indeed
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you for letting us know, and my condolences to the family.

He definitely added a lot to this community, and will be missed.

Farewell, Mr. Moxham!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre Santos
Belgium
Brussels
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
dpeggie wrote:
we will have to check careless word use ourselves.

I think Russ will help ensure standards are kept
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McD
Scotland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I only had one extended exchange with him on the forums, but it was one of the most thoughtful and interesting I've enjoyed here. I can't pretend to have known him, but I will miss him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Joyce
United States
Yonkers
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sincere condolences to his family and friends.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M8AeV8Jbx6M
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan James
United States
Covington
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Very sorry to hear this news. God bless his family. Richard's contributions here will be missed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   |