Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toc13 wrote:
Chaiftan wrote:
The calculator

You come with boardgames?

No, but I always have to add up everyone's score for them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My problem is that I buy complicated games wanting to play them because they look and sound amazing in reviews and then I never can figure them out. Yes Forbidden Stars and World of Warcraft, I am looking at you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tan
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's me and my other pastime. I have toured internationally performing as John Lennon.
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you really create that comic in 2019? Who even uses a graphing calculator anymore!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
m3tan wrote:
Did you really create that comic in 2019? Who even uses a graphing calculator anymore!

Me. Today.
My son. Today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Tan
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
That's me and my other pastime. I have toured internationally performing as John Lennon.
mbmbmbmbmb
ThomasAH wrote:
m3tan wrote:

Me. Today.
My son. Today.

Just curious for what? I was an aerospace engineer and now publish college level mathematics textbooks. I haven't seen or touched one in 20 years. I just had to buy one for my daughter (class requirement) and we had to order it from Amazon because we couldn't find any in a retail stores...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Osnabrück
flag msg tools
                                                             oooo                             ooo                             o    o                                      o     
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
m3tan wrote:
ThomasAH wrote:
m3tan wrote:

Me. Today.
My son. Today.

Just curious for what? I was an aerospace engineer and now publish college level mathematics textbooks. I haven't seen or touched one in 20 years. I just had to buy one for my daughter (class requirement) and we had to order it from Amazon because we couldn't find any in a retail stores...

My son wanted to play pacman on his (class requirement) TI calculator, so I installed the required shell and the game on it, and he played it

But I'm also a little bit of a collector of HP calculators, but nothing really fancy (48G+GX, 42S, 28S, 19BII, and the corresponding IR printers 82240B)
But sometimes I actually use some (not all at once, but every model has its benefits and drawbacks) for calculations (unit conversions, tax stuff, other small stuff ...), though not as often as in the past, and I must admit that I haven't used the graphing parts of those in ages.

You can still buy calculators of varying complexity in brick&mortar shops here in Germany, with Staples having the most variety, but some models are even available in the Supermarket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Norris
United States
Blacksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
Insert witty and self aware quote here
badge
Show how culturally relevant I am by writing a well written joke or meme reference
mbmbmbmbmb
m3tan wrote:
ThomasAH wrote:
m3tan wrote:

Me. Today.
My son. Today.

As a aerospace engineer, I would expect you to know the value of the ti89’s. Their ability to solve systems of equations is extremely helpful. (Especially in my mechanics classes, like dynamics and deforms, where you have systems of equations with 6+ unknown forces/variables) Sure there is wolfram and other computer programs, or you can set up matrices and solve, but these certainly as accessible or as fast as a calculator that you keep in your bag.

After university though, they are less useful. That being said, I’ll always have my 83 and 89. I find they are much more comfortable to do calculations on than other brands/softwares of calculators.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Uglum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
m3tan wrote:

Yeah. I still see them occasionally.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Deniz Bucak
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
As Above, So Below
badge
My books are forgeries. Nobody wrote them. - Philip K. Dick
mbmbmbmbmb
Graphing calculators are a huge scam. The only reason anyone needs one is for high school classes. Anything you would do in the actual world, you would use a computer for. Or your phone. Wolfram Alpha has a spectacular app for that stuff. Furthermore the calculators are intentionally nerfed so that they can be used in tests like the SAT. You can get a calculator that actually has more capabilities but costs less because it can't be used during a test.

Also, I'm a statistician in my career, so I work with math.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S. Deniz Bucak
United States
Havertown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
As Above, So Below
badge
My books are forgeries. Nobody wrote them. - Philip K. Dick
mbmbmbmbmb
The comic is spot on though. I often throw cheap solar calculators into games like my 18XX games for convenience. Though of course people can just use their phones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kedrick Black
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
FILL YOUR HANDS...
mbmbmbmbmb
Pencils and Ink wrote:
m3tan wrote:

Yeah. I still see them occasionally.

I'm an engineer and use both of mine (HP 48GX and TI89) quite often. Though I grew up in the generation where you had to have them in school. I do use Mathcad and Matlab often too which are way more powerful. The graphing calculator is probably mostly obsolete now. Kids now days should focus on computers and software applications to do calculations. Or even apps on your phone. Anyways, back to the original subject of this thread. The comic does make a good point. I just bought high frontier and even with a masters degree in engineering i feel overwhelmed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lynette
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
Yep, I am a girl Scientist. Come for the breasts; Stay for the brains!
badge
For as long as I shall live I will testify to love; I'll be a witness in the silences when words are not enough.
mbmbmbmbmb
m3tan wrote:

Graphing calculators are fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Toc13 wrote:
Chaiftan wrote:
The calculator

Calculate!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Uglum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JavaJack wrote:
Toc13 wrote:
Chaiftan wrote:
The calculator

Calculate!

*stunned silence* wow
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rose
United States
New York City
NY
flag msg tools
"I do what I do because it’s right! Because it’s decent! And above all, it’s kind! It’s just that… Just kind." -Dr. Who
badge
"And forget not that the earth delights to feel your bare feet and the winds long to play with your hair." - Khalil Gibran
mbmbmbmbmb
That reminds me .... do you have a microbadge for Labs?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony C
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I showed this comic to my wife and she literally laughed out loud.
Let's just say I resemble that remark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Uglum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
anjulka wrote:

Hmm... I hadn't thought of making one. That's an interesting idea.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Uglum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pencils and Ink wrote:
anjulka wrote:

I submitted one for initial review.
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/31689536#31689536
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Huntsville
Alabama
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Alextnorris wrote:
m3tan wrote:
ThomasAH wrote:
m3tan wrote:

Me. Today.
My son. Today.

As a aerospace engineer, I would expect you to know the value of the ti89’s. Their ability to solve systems of equations is extremely helpful. (Especially in my mechanics classes, like dynamics and deforms, where you have systems of equations with 6+ unknown forces/variables) Sure there is wolfram and other computer programs, or you can set up matrices and solve, but these certainly as accessible or as fast as a calculator that you keep in your bag.

After university though, they are less useful. That being said, I’ll always have my 83 and 89. I find they are much more comfortable to do calculations on than other brands/softwares of calculators.

You young whipper-snappers and your graphing calculators... Start throwing these into games and watch the chaos that ensues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Uglum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Halborn wrote:
Alextnorris wrote:
m3tan wrote:
ThomasAH wrote:
m3tan wrote:

Me. Today.
My son. Today.

You young whipper-snappers and your graphing calculators... Start throwing these into games and watch the chaos that ensues.

If I am remembering correctly, I was originally thinking "slide rule" and changed it to "graphing calculator".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Uglum
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pencils and Ink wrote:
Pencils and Ink wrote:
anjulka wrote:

I submitted one for initial review.
https://boardgamegeek.com/article/31689536#31689536

The LABS microbadge is now approved!
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/microbadge/46861
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.