Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
Blue Peg, Pink Peg Gaming Podcast
mbmbmbmbmb
Its time to welcome you tooooooo........your reroll. This time around we are rerolling Heroes of Land, Air & Sea. What are your thoughts on this game? Remember if you leave comments also leave your rating! I imagine lots of people will have thoughts on this one. As usual I will pick a couple to read on air.

Poll
1. Have you played Heroes of Land, Air & Sea?
Yes
No, but want to.
Not, but will try if someone brought it out.
No and no desire too.
2. What is your BPPP rating of Heroes of Land, Air & Sea?
6 - Game Collection Essential.
3 - Average game.
0- The Worst.
      131 answers
Poll created by rookenoble

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
oh wow, will be pulling these soon...and no comments. hmmm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Every time I play HEROES OF LAND, AIR, AND SEA, I find myself struggling to decide which heroes I like best. Heroes of land, made with beef and ham, have an earthy purity and bring back hiking lunch memories. But then there are heroes of air- your turkey, your chicken, your occasional duck. Always a treat to mix up flavors thjs way, esp with dijon mustard. But don't forget heroes of the sea. Tuna and crab are the most common, but I had a Lobster hero in Maine that was to die for.

Oh, you mean the GAME.

Haven't played, would try if someone brought it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember watching an after school special called: A Hero Ain't Nothing but a Sandwich. Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Curto
United States
Sandpoint
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing terribly intelligent to say about HoLAS:
- It's a brilliant design that keeps everyone involved for every turn (a rare feat for a 4x)
- It plays fast enough to fit it on a normal game night, but still always manages to feel like an epic game even under two hours
- There's an insane amount of tactics based on which races are playing. Even the races I've played a lot, I find myself trying to play slightly different every time.

As far as I'm concerned it is THE definitive fantasy 4x, and one of the best 4x games in general. It's a prize in my collection for sure, one of the mini games I've actively been painting. 4x conflict games certainly aren't for everyone, but if they're for you, there is no question this is a collection essential.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Werner
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually have a lot to say about HoLAS.

I'm not shocked that there hasn't been many comments on this thread. I noticed, when HoLAS fulfilled from its Kickstarter campaign, that it seemed to land with a bit of a muted thud. Between the Pegs' reaction to it, the Cabal's reaction to it, and just the general interest I saw in the community, it seemed to get a resounding "meh".

Before I go any further, let me say that I really, really like HoLAS. I think it is terribly underrated. But I can understand the "meh" reaction that it got.

First, I think the release of the game had unfortunate timing. It came along at a time when many people seemed to be suffering "Dudes On a Map" fatigue. It also came out in close proximity to Rising Sun, Lords of Hellas, and other heavy hitter area control, "dudes" games that people were even more hyped about. Lastly, on a surface examination, the game doesn't seem to do much stuff different when compared to its peers. If you're looking at the game from afar, or if you only play it once, you may feel like there's nothing special going on.

Despite all this, I think HoLAS didn't get a fair shake. It has incredible depth and variability. Most of this comes from the fact that each race is highly customizable. There is simply not enough time or resources in the game to fully unlock and upgrade everything each race has to offer, so that means that each game you have to "spec" your race to do what you want it to do that session. Between the building upgrades, hero unlocks and upgrades, vehicle unlocks and upgrades, and the four different victory conditions which may trigger the end of the game, and all the different races and ways your opponents can be "specing" those races each session, this introduces an INSANE amount of variety. But you'll only really get to appreciate if you play the game more than once.

I also feel that the game's card-based, rock-paper-scissors-but-not-really battle system didn't get enough credit. I found the battle system to be unique in this sea of "dudes" and area control games. I also thought it was neat how you have to pay resources in order to fight, so it makes it difficult for someone to just steamroll through a heavy military strategy, because each fight depletes your precious resources.

In conclusion, I believe HoLAS is a great game that's underrated mostly due to its release schedule, and a depth that is better appreciated after multiple plays. The insane variability which arises from the customization of the races each game didn't get enough of a mention from reviewers, and the battle system is also underappreciated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
got them thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.