Popular Tags: [View All]
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
Blue Peg, Pink Peg Gaming Podcast
mbmbmbmbmb
During this weeks post RobbCon episode:

1) The Pegs discuss their recent game plays including Black Angel, Beta Colony, Lord of Rings: Journeys in Middle Earth and many more;

2) All the Pegs review the hidden movement game Treasure Island; and

3) Look back at Dinosaur Island.

4) FUN FACT: Jeremy has a good guy track, who knew.

https://bluepegpinkpeg.com/2019/04/08/episode-144-treasure-i...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr. Octavius
Canada
Chilliwack
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a chance to play Treasure Island recently at a con. I was on the fence about it because the reviews I heard weren't great, but figured I'd give it a shot as I enjoy deduction elements in games (I love Alchemists) although I'm not a fan of social deduction.

I had fun with it playing with 4 strangers. I felt like I had enough information and intuition to deduce what clues Long John was bluffing on and which places other players were avoiding. I also made some attempts at trading information with individuals to marginal success. I didn't win, but was one turn away from finding the treasure myself.

I would give it 4 pegs. Not something I'm going to acquire myself, but is something I'd be happy to play in the future and would suggest if someone had it. If it sounds like a game that might interest you I'd recommend giving it a try at a con or meetup if you get the chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgueni K
Canada
flag msg tools
I was a bit surprised to hear about Call to Adventure mentioned. This is a game I got at first as I was just swayed by the art and the upcoming expansions based on Name of the Wind and the Stormlight Chronicles. I wasn't expecting much from it other than being some light filler game but we've ended up spending hours on it. Mechanically wise, this is very light, it's more of a social game where you get creative and can just go wild with your imagination and storytelling. I remember having a few games where even though I lost on points, but my character's story was just so satisfying that it was a win for me.

As an example. while my wife's character was chosen by the light, who went on to study the arcane, defeat powerful monsters and eventually gain the crown. My character was a secret royalty that tried joining the army as a nobody to rise through the ranks to regain the crown that was lawfully mine. But the world didn't agree with that, so he did the next best thing he could and went on to take out the crime lord, took over the assassin's guild and then used his newfound resources to take out the Queen as revenge for the crown. We probably spend over an hour just talking about our stories and forgot that we were playing a game.

It's a great game for anyone that likes to get creative with their imagination and wants something light and social, you could practically create a small novella out of a game session with this if you wanted to. And I'm really looking forward to the expansions to see what they'll do with Patrick Rothfuss' and Brandon Sanderson' worlds.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Hillier
Canada
St. Albert
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy hell this was a fun episode!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Daybreak wrote:
Holy hell this was a fun episode!

it was...

...unless you are a lover of black jeans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Mitchell
United States
Santa Rosa Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks again for a good episode Pegs! A good and informative review of Treasure Island. This seems like a game I'd love to play before purchase.

On a completely childish note....I recently discovered that I could listen to podcasts at 1.5x or 2x - which I don't care for, I'll just stick with the regular speed. HOWEVER listening to the PEGS' opening banter on 1/2x speed I found to be laugh out loud hilarious!! I know this is so childish of me. I love the Pegs' banter. But listening to it slowed down to half-speed is so juvenile and funny. It sounds like they've had one too many shower beers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Kelly
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1/2 speed Blue Peg, Pink Peg is my new favorite thing. Sounds 100% like a dorm room full of hammered idiots. (Sinbad Warhammered.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Nye
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
Another great episode with plenty of laugh out loud moments at work, plus really interested in checking out Beta Colony and Black Angle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Mitchell
United States
Santa Rosa Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pablopk wrote:
1/2 speed Blue Peg, Pink Peg is my new favorite thing. Sounds 100% like a dorm room full of hammered idiots. (Sinbad Warhammered.)

We should make a list of favorite BPPP fictional characters...Law Cat, Bert Mercury, and Sinbad Warhammer, are great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
and Tailswipe

you cant forget Tailswipe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Light
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rookenoble wrote:
and Tailswipe

And of course, Trevor

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Holmes
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jessecuster3 wrote:
rookenoble wrote:
and Tailswipe

And of course, Trevor

This is turning in the weirdest League of Extraordinary Gentlemen spinoff EVER.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jessecuster3 wrote:
rookenoble wrote:
and Tailswipe

And of course, Trevor

nah forget trevor, he is the worst.

...unless he is a listener, than of course he can come.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Long
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Treasure Island has become a massive hit in our house. The kids (on holidays) played it 4 times in two days. I was “forced” to join in.

Then I had a game with adults, which was much more competitive. All of the games went over 45 mins.

The hidden movement is fun, but more of the gameplay came from bluffing. Some bluffing from LJS but also bluffing between players. “Why are you searching there? You said that was your district.” So if the bluffing element is not your thing then you will enjoy this game less. Otherwise it’s a winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judith Elliott
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Treasure Island was not for me. I found it was a bit fiddly and with a fair amount of down time. It's also possible for the clues and information available to each player to vary quite a lot so some players can end up with a much smaller search area just because of tokens given.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Mitchell
United States
Santa Rosa Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rookenoble wrote:
and Tailswipe

Which episode of G.I. Joe was Tailswipe in? Or was he in Dora The Explora?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Kelly
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone wanted to illustrate the battalion of Burt Mercury,Sinbad Warhammer, LawCat, and TailSwipe in 80s cartoon style, it wouldn't be the worst thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Stearns
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great episode! Sad to hear the lackluster response from a few pegs on Treasure Island, but it's not for everyone, so it makes sense. I loved this game when Christina, Jill, Naomi and I did a demo play at Origins. So I was really excited to pick this up! We have had some epic plays in my game group. We had a few accidentally quick games too, but still fun! I love deductions and hidden information, so this game really appeals to me. Unfortunately, these mechanics are less appealing to many gamers, so I don't get to play these types of games as much as I would prefer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noel Szczepanski
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think they rated Treasure Island too high. What does it take for Robb to give a 1 peg, or even a 0 peg?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
P0isson wrote:
I think they rated Treasure Island too high. What does it take for Robb to give a 1 peg, or even a 0 peg?

the components in the box man are great. the art is amazing. if it wasnt for those things......
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgueni K
Canada
flag msg tools
rookenoble wrote:

the components in the box man are great

That doesn't sound like a standard box...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ekster wrote:
rookenoble wrote:

the components in the box man are great

That doesn't sound like a standard box...

points for a deep dive call back.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan OSullivan
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick's pronunciation on Matagot in the review. Tsk tsk shameful performance from the resident accent corrector

Blood in the Clock Tower is interesting. All Kickstarters should be buyer beware, we've probably lost sight of that a bit with publishers (abusing? using?) kickstarter more and more. So I think those are worthwhile caveats. That said I think it's worth throwing out there for those that don't go to conventions, etc. These guys have had a fairly major presence since 2016 and from a game development and design POV I suspect they are tight. On the manufacturing side they've done due diligence and landed with Panda. I suspect it'll be ok. I think though it's worth raising that these guys aren't some flash in the pan.

I really like Treasure Island and I haven't made it through the review yet, so I'm curious where that'll go

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm honestly a bit surprised by the Treasure Island review. I expected Robb to not like it, but expected more like 4s from the rest.

This was the surprise hit for me at BGG Con last year, my group jumped in on the hot game table because it was open, learned and played it in an hour and all had a blast, it was a nail biter down to the last second. I put it tops of my wishlist and got it for Christmas, and got my brother a copy. Everyone I've played it with has loved it including my 70 year old mother and 11 year old nephew as well as my game group. My nephew was so excited his first play, he demanded to play Long John Silver the next day and beat his parents to the treasure and was so happy with himself.

I'm not huge in hidden movement, but this is the one game to stay in collection. For me it distills the best moments of a social deduction game into nearly a filler. I've never had a game go much longer than an hour and that's what makes me wonder about your group. All the complaints of downtime and 8 minutes until your turn baffle me a bitm a person's turn shouldn't take more than a minute or so. You wither move and draw a circle or you ask for a compass.

I dunno, I love that it's such an accessible and quick game myself, with huge toy factor. It's one of my gateway games now, if someone knew to gaming says they love Clue, I'm like, "have I got a tresure map for you."

Id probably still only give it a 4, my excitement has waned a bit, but I find it an easy going and fun, light hearted game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.