flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
sa266 wrote:
DonJengibre wrote:
dancj wrote:
Three of my 11 games have arrived already

One of the 11 hasn't even responded to me yet cry

One of the 11 people I need to send money to hasn't replied yet either whistle

I’m still waiting for a trade proposal to come through, while my other game was delivered days ago.

Would it be poor etiquette for me to now reach out to the trader I haven’t heard from yet?

No, not at all, especially not at this point. There is no "Rule" that says it has to be set up by the sender, it's a convention that has appeared over the last few years. New users in particular are often quite grateful if you set up the trade proposal for them.

Thank you Sharon. I’ll send them a trade proposal then!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DonJengibre wrote:
sa266 wrote:
DonJengibre wrote:
dancj wrote:
Three of my 11 games have arrived already

One of the 11 hasn't even responded to me yet cry

One of the 11 people I need to send money to hasn't replied yet either whistle

I’m still waiting for a trade proposal to come through, while my other game was delivered days ago.

Would it be poor etiquette for me to now reach out to the trader I haven’t heard from yet?

No, not at all, especially not at this point. There is no "Rule" that says it has to be set up by the sender, it's a convention that has appeared over the last few years. New users in particular are often quite grateful if you set up the trade proposal for them.

Thank you Sharon. I’ll send them a trade proposal then!
There's an "etiquette compliant" approach: you could PM them first (I've used this approach myself on a number of occasions)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always thought it's fine for either side to set it up - whoever has time to get to it first. Sometimes it's me, sometimes the other side.

I've never regarded it as a matter of ettiquette if someone beat me to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kelanen wrote:
I've always thought it's fine for either side to set it up - whoever has time to get to it first. Sometimes it's me, sometimes the other side.

I much prefer to be the initiator if I'm sending the game to an "empty half" recipient. It's just an emotional thing: I like to be the one saying "here's your game, have fun" rather than have my trading "partner" say "gimme my game, now!". I'm aware that it might well be a me (or possibly a generational) thing, but it costs nothing to respect that PoV and just hold fire if you have nothing to trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Parker McParker
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
Kelanen wrote:

I much prefer to be the initiator if I'm sending the game to an "empty half" recipient. It's just an emotional thing: I like to be the one saying "here's your game, have fun" rather than have my trading "partner" say "gimme my game, now!". I'm aware that it might well be a me (or possibly a generational) thing, but it costs nothing to respect that PoV and just hold fire if you have nothing to trade.

And I'd rather whoever was on the site and sorting out their trades, sorted them all out. I'm happy to accept trades from whichever end they're initiated.

Plus, I'm an old fart, so I believe this is almost certainly a "you" thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Pooley
United Kingdom
Epsom
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the input. Good to hear your different views. My thinking is that it's probably polite to let the person who has the game initiate it, but if it's taking a while there should be nothing wrong with the recipient politely proposing the trade. For what it's worth I wouldn't be offended if a keen recipient initiated a trade before I had the chance to, but that's just me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Challis
United Kingdom
Hungerford
West Berkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MLBath wrote:

And I'd rather whoever was on the site and sorting out their trades, sorted them all out. I'm happy to accept trades from whichever end they're initiated.

Agreed. When I get around to sorting them out, I'll sort all of them remaining in both directions. Whatever is done before then is absolutely fine by me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Unfortunately I've just received a box wrapped in bubble wrap and paper.. It looks like 3 of corners have taken a hit and a little crushing, although it was described as with 'shelf wear' so hard to be certain.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Churchill
United Kingdom
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Londoner_85 wrote:
Unfortunately I've just received a box wrapped in bubble wrap and paper.. It looks like 3 of corners have taken a hit and a little crushing, although it was described as with 'shelf wear' so hard to be certain.

Geeez what's the matter with some people! The only way that would be acceptable was if it was tripled wrapped in bubble wrap and then say a bin liner to protect it from the rain if left on a doorstep. I would have a moan up to whoever sent it to you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil McIntyre
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Londoner_85 wrote:

This is getting ridiculous now.

I’d be embarrassed to ship something in this state.

Are we dealing with a single rogue trader, or an influx of parsimonious, selfish gits?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Watson
United Kingdom
Banstead
Surrey - United Kingdom
flag msg tools
ASL - other tactical wargames call it Sir.
badge
Beneath this mask there is an idea.....and ideas are bulletproof.
mbmbmbmbmb
I've received a number (5 or 6 maybe) items over the last few years, spread over a number of traders/BGG-sellers where this has been the method of packing. It seems to be a common enough misapprehension that this constitutes an appropriate level of packing to deserve a specific mention in the guidelines to say that it is not - hence some of my earlier posts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Dales
United Kingdom
Nr. Goole
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Londoner_85 wrote:

Is that from me? It could be, as I used a double layer of bubble wrap, and then surrounded it with brown paper and then parcel tape. I packaged it before the recent discussion, and thought it would be sufficient (I've received loads of games packaged like this previously, with no damage). I sincerely apologise if it has been damaged in transit, and am keen to put it right. What would be the usual way of resolving issues like this?

Edit: The description was accurate, and I would never have described a bashed box as "shelf wear". I accept that the damage was down to my packaging, but would not have misrepresented the condition in the description.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Dales
United Kingdom
Nr. Goole
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
liencam wrote:
Londoner_85 wrote:

Are we dealing with a single rogue trader, or an influx of parsimonious, selfish gits?

I'm mortified that this has happened (I'm assuming that it is my packaging that Marc is referring to), and want to put it right. It certainly won't happen again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh jeez, didn't realise you were reading in here.
Yeah I'll message you, I'm not usually too fussy with boxes - but this one does look like it's been thrown about!
(Also I was hoping to re-use the box to post one of my games in )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Parker McParker
United Kingdom
Bath
Somerset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Londoner_85 wrote:

I think if you contact the sender directly letting them know what resolution you require, you'll usually get a successful resolution. I have only once had somebody send me a game with a missing piece and then subsequently shrug and say "Oh well, I forgot that was missing."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tadhg
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
liencam wrote:
Londoner_85 wrote:

Or people who have received games ordered online in similar packaging and base their expectation of reasonable packaging on what professionals do?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WarlikePoet wrote:
liencam wrote:
Londoner_85 wrote:

Or people who have received games ordered online in similar packaging and base their expectation of reasonable packaging on what professionals do?
double bubble-wrap and brown paper is better than several "professionally" shipped games that I've received over the years (shop and Kickstarter). But I think that many commercial enterprises find it cheaper to replace the occasional game than to send every game in top-notch packaging
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fillipe Diniz
United Kingdom
london
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mccrispy wrote:
WarlikePoet wrote:
liencam wrote:
Londoner_85 wrote:

double bubble-wrap and brown paper is better than several "professionally" shipped games that I've received over the years (shop and Kickstarter). But I think that many commercial enterprises find it cheaper to replace the occasional game than to send every game in top-notch packaging

Tell me about it. Zatu sent me Journeys in Middle Earth (not a cheap game) just with a tight box outside of it, no wrap, bubbles or anything, and at least 2 corners had dings.

Meanwhile, here I am boxing and foaming a lousy Coup for trade 🤷‍♂️
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Crispy
United Kingdom
Basingstoke
Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Filliped wrote:
mccrispy wrote:
WarlikePoet wrote:
liencam wrote:
Londoner_85 wrote:

Tell me about it. Zatu sent me Journeys in Middle Earth (not a cheap game) just with a tight box outside of it, no wrap, bubbles or anything, and at least 2 corners had dings.

Meanwhile, here I am boxing and foaming a lousy Coup for trade 🤷‍♂️
Tightly fitting, thin cardboard is the worst! It gives the appearance of protection, while providing virtually none

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David M
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cassetteboy wrote:
I just received a game with a bashed corner because it was sent wrapped only in brown paper, no packing box or even bubble wrap.

If we do end up re-writing the rules of the trade, can we include something about appropriate packaging?

I've just received a game that I'd value at £30+ wrapped in brown paper, with one small piece of bubble wrap taped on each of the corners. Thankfully it wasn't damaged, though it easily could have been.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Wroe
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On a positive note, all the parcels I've received so far in the trade have been well packaged in cardboard boxes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Dales
United Kingdom
Nr. Goole
East Yorkshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've both sent and received many packages that have been protected by a double-layer of bubble wrap, and this is the first time damage has occurred (as far as I'm aware).

Having said that, I've been in contact with Marc, and it sounds like the damage is far worse than I would have expected, or even thought possible. The damage to the outer packaging is such that the actual game box has been split and the game board inside that has been damaged. Because of this, I've offered to source a replacement copy of the game for him, which he has accepted.

I'd like to reassure future possible traders that I've learned a valuable lesson here, and will make sure that my packaging in future will leave nothing to chance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Gibson
United Kingdom
Wigan
Lancashire
flag msg tools
Looks like MyHermes has lost the parcel I sent out I’m told it might still show up but there’s no guarantee, which is helpful.

Not sure how I go about claiming when the claim form asks for a PayPal receipt or proof of transaction. Anyone had to do this with a math trade before?

Also, what’s the procedure for compensating the receiver?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Taylor
United Kingdom
FARINGDON
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WolfMouth wrote:
Looks like MyHermes has lost the parcel I sent out I’m told it might still show up but there’s no guarantee, which is helpful.

Not sure how I go about claiming when the claim form asks for a PayPal receipt or proof of transaction. Anyone had to do this with a math trade before?

Also, what’s the procedure for compensating the receiver?

It kind of depends. If the item is irreplaceable (very rare) you would compensate them the cash you get back from MyHermes (plus they should be refunding your shipping charge which should go to the recipient as well). But mostly you would just replace of give funds after a possible discussion with the recipient.

The Paypal/transaction thing is only there because it greatly speeds up them refunding as they'll refund that exact value. I had to claim on a damaged trade a while ago and after sharing some amazon links for current value on the item, they eventually did refund me the full insurance amount plus the original shipping charge. So my recipient got a damaged but playable game AND cash to buy something else.

If MyHermes really mess you about and you're not in a super rush for the resolution, I suggest using https://www.resolver.co.uk/ . My only experience with them was very good and it took all the effort and stress off me. It could have been a fluke, but I'll use them again the next time I have an unresolved issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Gibson
United Kingdom
Wigan
Lancashire
flag msg tools
Thanks a lot for the response, that’s very helpful.

I’ll speak to the recipient and see what the best resolution is. Unfortunately, the level of insurance on the delivery doesn’t cover the value of the game; that’ll teach me for taking chances.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  10 , 11 , 12 , 13 , 14  Next »  [17] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.