Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you ever really, really wanted a game, but you missed the Kickstarter, or it was hard to get, or maybe you didn't have the budget at the time...then, after hearing feedback, realize you may have dodged a bullet? If so, what game or games were those?

...But, what the Pegheads really want to know is: What are you playing this week?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter Schutz
Netherlands
De Meern
Utrecht
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In the past week I played:
4x Dice Throne
1x Galaxy Trucker
1x The Rise of Queensdale (last game of our legacy)
Plans are to play Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar tomorrow and Chimera station later this week.
Up for a good week I guess
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Adrenaline fits that description for me. First heard about it on the RDTN podcast, and they raved about the game so that I thought I had to try it. But that was the same year that Scythe AND Terraforming Mars AND GWT came out, and well, these have become my top three games. They preoccupied my attention and budget for some time, and I never got round to trying Adrenaline. As more reviews started coming out, it seemed like Marty & Tony were lone voices in the wilderness; most of the other reviewers weren't as excited and their reasons seemed reasonable to me. So I still haven't given Adrenaline a play, and don't think I ever will.

Tonight I'm supposed to be learning Dungeon Lords! It's not the type of game I'd typically be into either, but my friend is really enthusiastic about it, so I'm giving it a shot. Too bad Adrenaline doesn't have any enthusiastic friends in my neck of the woods...

Hoping to get my new copy of Downfall to table tomorrow evening, and Thursday night we have our first MTG night in ages planned.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A few games come to mind for me. Massive Darkness for one. I missed the Kickstarter and was pretty bummed, but then I have heard it is an okay dungeon crawl with nothing outstanding or exciting. Another game is Western Legends. An open world western game sounds exactly like something I would love, but again, I hear it falls a little flat. Finally,and I haven't heard the Pegs review yet, Treasure Island. Love the idea and theme, but a couple of my other favorite podcasts don't care for the game too much. Maybe I'll save my money.

This week...no idea what's on the docket other than D&D. For weeks and weeks, what I think I'll play and what I actually play are not even close.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grishny wrote:

Tonight I'm supposed to be learning Dungeon Lords! It's not the type of game I'd typically be into either, but my friend is really enthusiastic about it, so I'm giving it a shot.

Really? It seems like something you will/would like. I'd for sure love to hear your take on it after you get it played.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
I disliked it. More than I thought I would, actually. I wouldn't go so far as to use the word "hate" but... I don't really ever want to play it again. It didn't really occur to me until my friend mentioned it, but it really did feel a lot like Agricola with a different theme, and Agricola is probably my most despised board game ever.

I felt lost, the game felt overly punishing, and I just didn't enjoy a single thing I was doing in the game. One and done for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Moore
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably playing My Little Scythe, Taught my nephews over this past weekend and the loved it.
[ImageID=My_scythe]

As for the rest of the week, the wife and I have been enjoying Haven.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was close to backing Heroes of Land, Air & Sea, but it was just too expensive at the time and I took a pass. Now I’ve seen the final product and realize it would have been another big box of plastic gathering dust on my shelves.

As for playing, this weekend is Congress of Gamers and I’m sure to get a ton of gaming in. The Con hosts a math trade where I picked up Betrayal at House on the Hill, Terraforming Mars: Colonies (NIS), Fantasy Fantasy Baseball, and Master of Orion: The Board Game. I’ll also be taking a pile of games to the auction store to make room for new hotness. Great weekend on the way!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't missed any KS that in the end I thought I had "dodged a bullet" though I have missed one, namely Everdell which I wish I has gotten the first time. Here's to reprints and expansion KS!

As for this week, my girlfriend and I continue our journey, having left Barcelona for Paris and all of our gaming thus far has been of the digital variety, playing Concordia on BAJ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think I've "dodged a bullet" on any kickstarters. There are some I'm glad I didn't back *at the time* and just picked up at retail later, due to the excessive shipping costs some KSs end up having to have. There are a few where I've been excited by the look of the game, made a PnP version and tried it, then realised it's really not all it's cracked up to be and decided NOT to back. But that's more informed decision than realising retrospectively that I dodged it.

This week: I've got playtesting to do, endless playtesting! (I do enjoy it, just to be clear - the list just keeps growing as quickly as I clear it). I'm also planning on filming a couple of quick solo runthroughs of the new Anachrony expansion's changes to the Chronobot. Must fit that in some time this week, as the kickstarter for that launches in a couple of weeks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Grishny wrote:
I felt lost, the game felt overly punishing, and I just didn't enjoy a single thing I was doing in the game. One and done for me.

Totally understand. Dungeon Lords is punishing in the way that worker placement games of a decade ago often were, and it's a bit opaque in what you're trying to do. That said, I really like the puzzle of trying to figure out how to get your worker to land on the second or third space but not the first of a particular action.

This week won't see a lot more gaming for me, probably, as my wife and I leave Thursday for Iceland! Can't wait. Then as soon as we get back I go to DC for a conference.

That said, yesterday was a great day of gaming. My neighbor invited me over for a morning game of Star Wars: Rebellion. I hadn't really played with the new tactics cards yet so I didn't know the empire could LOSE A LEADER DURING BATTLE. Darth Vader killed in round 2. And I still pulled off a lucky victory. Huzzah.

Then, the expansion sheets for Welcome To... showed up, Jenny and I played a couple games of the zombie one. Really fun!

Tuesday will bring a game of Terraforming Mars, and Wednesday will probably bring something but I don't know what yet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:
Grishny wrote:

Totally understand. Dungeon Lords is punishing in the way that worker placement games of a decade ago often were, and it's a bit opaque in what you're trying to do. That said, I really like the puzzle of trying to figure out how to get your worker to land on the second or third space but not the first of a particular action.

Oh yes, you’ve helped me understand a bit more why I didn’t enjoy Dungeon Lords. I’m bad at blind bidding. Really bad. I have no ability to figure out what my opponents are thinking and very rarely can I guess correctly when it comes to this type of action selection bidding. For example, I have to go into a game like Revolution already resigned to my terrible performance and just try to find joy in occasionally getting lucky, because when I try to bid well, I just wind up infuriated.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grishny wrote:
Oh yes, you’ve helped me understand a bit more why I didn’t enjoy Dungeon Lords. I’m bad at blind bidding. Really bad.

And Dungeon Lords is brutally punishing this way -- "I don't have any money so I'm going to go get money. Oh, I ended up in the spot without any money. So I can't buy the food I wanted this round. And now I'm last to pick a trap and I don't get one at all." Mean!

Dungeon Petz is a bit more forgiving, though a screw up there will result in your pet dying, running away, or vanishing into another dimension.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think the only KS I backed out of and was happy about it was the A Song of Ice & Fire: Tabletop Miniatures Game – Stark vs Lannister Starter Set. I backed it mostly due to the theme and wanting a great Game of Thrones game, but after looking at it more closely, it really wasn't for us.

This week I have a game night planned with some colleagues from work who want to learn Lisboa! It will be their first Lacerda game and I'm a little nervous about teaching it (though I did a practice run of the rules teach last night). Other than that, I'm hoping Escape Plan shows up this week so we can play it! Otherwise, I'm not sure we have anything in particular planned. Meeting with our game group on Sunday for a game day, so I expect that will be fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grishny wrote:
I disliked it. More than I thought I would, actually. I wouldn't go so far as to use the word "hate" but... I don't really ever want to play it again. It didn't really occur to me until my friend mentioned it, but it really did feel a lot like Agricola with a different theme, and Agricola is probably my most despised board game ever.

YOUCH! At least you got that out of the way and don't ever have to play it again. I got Dragon Lords in a math trade because of Chvátil's resume. Then I also picked up Dungeon Petz at some point. I heard it was a little better and sold DL. Sounds like I...dodged a bullet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Miller
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I passed on Rising Sun, but when I saw it in person I was crushed. I felt like I'd COMPLETELY missed out. A friend of mine had backed an extra copy he was planning to paint and sell, he was willing to sell it to me for face value.
I completely missed the first Dinosaur Island campaign. The game itself is fine, but the deluxe version is just so much better. When they came around for a second printing/expansion I jumped in with both feet.

I was scheduled to play Betrayal Legacy on Monday, but it got cancelled. So we played Terraforming Mars instead. That game just gets better for me with each play.

Tonight a friend wants to play King of New York, we will probably play a second game after that. Not sure about tomorrow, maybe GWT or Dino Island.

Rise of Moloch on Friday night. (It's a fun enough game, but I'm glad to play my friend's copy, and don't feel bad I missed that KS one bit.)

Sunday is open game night. Always hoping to play Teotihuican. Maybe Euphoria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Lussier
United States
Corryton
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Seafall was this for me. I had it pre-ordered and ended up canceling before fulfillment. From most reviewers since then, that was a bullet dodged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judith Elliott
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I noticed Seafall was £24 on Amazon the other day. I was tempted by it (plus the metal coins!) when it was first being hyped prior to release but decided against it as it wasn't a good fit for my game group at the time. Looks like that was very wise.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vigo Velito
United States
Haymarket
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess Karmaka and Petricor would be the only kickstarters that I was looking at, but decided against. These are not dodging bullets per se, but are games that I know I probably wouldn't be getting to the table as much and just collecting dust. I'm kind of at the point now, where I won't kickstart anything unless it is a game that is kickstarting an expansion, and the base has gone on to get rave reviews. i.e. Near and Far with the Amber Mines, Nemo's War, etc.

My wife and I got in Patchwork and Paperback(coop variant); Worst we have done in Paperback, and I don't even know what I was doing in patchwork; my score...so, so bad.

I'd like to get in some heavier strategy game in this weekend...maybe get the Great Western Trail with the expansion back to the table, or Fields of Arle w/ Tea and Trade.

EDIT: BG links added
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A pretty good couple of days playing actual published games for a change!...

Wednesday evening: Played The Quacks of Quedlinburg with The Quacks of Quedlinburg: The Herb Witches expansion. A lot of fun. The expansion adds just that little extra to mix the game up a bit, but doesn't overload you with too much stuff. I came dead last.

Yesterday: Had a day off work, so taught my 10yo Keyper. It's probably the heaviest weight game I've taught her, and she took the entire ruleset easily in her stride. I did beat her 94 to 64, but I wasn't holding back, and I've played it a dozen times before. And I only scored around 64 on MY first play too. I think she's ready for something even heavier, like Trickerion maybe...

Yesterday evening: A partial runthrough of Anachrony: Fractures of Time, prepping for recording a solo playthrough video for the kickstarter (which goes live next week, people!). Really fun expansion. Only got half way through as I was re-learning the rules (having not played it in 2 months), but got back into the swing of it. May try playing it again all through tonight (I'm waiting on final rules tweaks before doing the runthrough).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings from Iceland, where i saw a geyser and a waterfall today. We played a couple games of qwixx, I picked up a one deck mystery called SHERLOCK. It is in the bgg db but I dont know how to search for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
Grishny wrote:
Hoping to get my new copy of Downfall to table tomorrow evening, and Thursday night we have our first MTG night in ages planned.

Time for an end o' the week update: Downfall never made it to the table! I'm not that surprised... seems like it's bordering on an event-level game like Eclipse or GoT. Probably not TI4 level, but approaching it.

Tuesday night, I got in a surprise play of Sheriff of Nottingham with the family. Always fun to get old favorites back to the table. Thursday night Magic did happen, with three games of Commander taking place with our pal Jeremy. It had been almost two years since the last time we did that!

Friday night we found some gaming over at another friend's house, and I got to try On Tour (liked it) and played Anachrony (last again) and Just One (we scored 11/13--best play I've ever been involved in!)

Saturday some more unplanned family gaming happened in the evening, with another old favorite, La Granja, hitting the table for the first time in over a year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D&D Friday turned into surprise board game night...I love D&D, but I also love it when someone cancels and we play games instead.

Got to pull out my favorite game, 1754: Conquest – The French and Indian War. Again, it didn't disappoint, and there was a ton of stress...good stress. Brits/Colonists ended up handing me and my partner (French/French Canadians) a loss. There is some dice aspect to the game, and they rolled smoking' hot dice. No sour grapes, it was a blast!

Then I pulled out A Touch of Evil: The Supernatural Game. We D&D'd up our game and role played some of the characters. I am happy to announce, there was a lot of inappropriate stuff, as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My weekend consisted of recording my playthrough of the solo Chronobot changes for the Anachrony: Fractures of Time kickstarter. Recorded the entire playthrough (1.5 hours, but had to record each era separately as my camera can only record 30 minute chunks due to file size), so took a few hours of recording, then compressing, then merging, then uploading. Finally finished it all off Sunday, and spent most of that day re-watching things to add annotations for rules goofs.

Played out well enough though. Watch out for the videos which should be released with the Kickstarter, which goes live this week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, my planned game of Lisboa was flooded out due to the crazy river flooding in Oregon last week, so we'll have to reschedule. Last week was a busy one, so it was just Railroad Ink: Deep Blue Edition during the week and a great game day yesterday! I got to learn 3 new games! Reef Encounter (with the original, beautiful first edition art), Town Center melted my mind over 2 plays, and The Bucket King as a fun way to end the day.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.