Rodney Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
Join us to learn and watch games played at youtube.com/watchitplayed
mbmbmbmbmb
Want to learn how to play Sekigahara: The Unification of Japan? This video will teach you how!

NOTE: At 11:26, the forced march in that situation would be illegal, because earlier I had benefited a highway bonus, and then chose to travel on a road for the forced march (which would negate the highway bonus). I could have force marched further to the west though.

NOTE: When gaining a leadership bonus from a leader block in your stack, you only have to declare that a leader is there, you do not have to actually show your opponent (though you must be honest!)

Consider subscribing to our channel so that you will know when new tutorials are released: http://www.youtube.com/WatchItPlayed

Find even more content by us and others over on the BoardGameGeek channel here: https://www.youtube.com/boardgamegeektv

Get A Watch It Played Microbadge: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/microbadge/25384

Email: watchitplayed(at)live(dot)com
Twitter: @watchitplayed
Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/WatchItPlayed/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/WatchItPlayed/
Instagram: @watchitplayed

We truly appreciate your views, feedback and subscriptions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice.

There is a good implementation of this at yucata.de. I'm always looking for someone to play with.

p.s. Rodney's hair grows really fast.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fastattaq wrote:
Nice.

There is a good implementation of this at yucata.de. I'm always looking for someone to play with.

p.s. Rodney's hair grows really fast.

Ha! Yes, these were shot out of order
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, unexpected rules explanation for sure, as we entered wargame territory here.

But since I (as a non-wargamer) indeed had an eye on this game for quite a while, I'm happy you shot this video -- danke !

PS: I think Daimyō is pronounced "dime-yo", not "dee-I'm-yo".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Kyur wrote:

PS: I think Daimyō is pronounced "dime-yo", not "dee-I'm-yo".

You've attached the "m" sound to the end of the first syllable when it actually comes at the start of the second syllable "myo".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Same video, different forum

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sergio Perez
United States
Terrell
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Very pleasantly surprised at the choice for this video. Amazing game - hopefully this video will encourage more people to check it out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cookie Monster
Belgium
De Pinte
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for another great video! This game has been on my watchlist for ages, your video has sparked my interest yet again meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sverbeure wrote:
Thanks for another great video! This game has been on my watchlist for ages, your video has sparked my interest yet again meeple

This one surprised me. Hoped others might find the video helpful as they were getting into the rules (especially regarding the rules for movement).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Watch It Played wrote:
sverbeure wrote:

This one surprised me. Hoped others might find the video helpful as they were getting into the rules (especially regarding the rules for movement).

To be honest, I had to rewind a few times when I watched this video and I already thought to myself "Well, this could turn out to be tricky to teach and if I do it in a non-rehearsed way, this game could appear quite daunting to new players and potentially scare them away."

But the thing is that this game puts most of its rules complexity and interesting strategic depth in just these two segements: movement and combat, and both parts are interesting and (at least to me) fresh in concept -- especially the combat.

What really helped was that you took the time to give some examples, not only talking about special cases, but repeating previously taught rules, so that the viewer can internalise them and also check for him/herself if they understood them correctly before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M.
Germany
Cologne
flag msg tools
badge
Hi, there. I want to talk to you about ducts.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you, Rodney! Really nice to see a lighter wargame explained!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeehoon Song
United States
Levittown
New York
flag msg tools
I had this game for a while but never learned how to play it. Then on Monday, I decided to learn it... so I read the rules and played a few turns. I wasn't sure if I was playing it correctly. Then the next day, your video came out. Perfect timing!

Thanks Rodney!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ooh, I hope this is a sign of more wargame rules explanations to come
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Die Wespe wrote:
Thank you, Rodney! Really nice to see a lighter wargame explained!

Maybe we see 1775: Rebellion one day too ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If anyone at home is trying to follow along to learn this game, do yourself a favor and study the player aid.
It's the best player aid ever written in the history of board games.

There are two core concepts that cover 95% of the game, both of which are covered by the player aid.

One is discarding cards to game movement, the other is playing cards to deploy units in combat.

If you yourself are trying to teach this game at home, just focus on those two concepts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
get off of the computer.
badge
play the games you have.
mb
Rodney, still waiting on that Ambush! Watch It Played! whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
emodiu5 wrote:
Rodney, still waiting on that Ambush! Watch It Played! whistle

If they ever bring it back into print (and tidy up the rules a bit), you can count on it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Oberly
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is extremely well done, Rodney. This is a game that anyone can really enjoy, so I hope your video encourages more people to try it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rodney Smith
Canada
Montague
Prince Edward Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MikeOberly wrote:
This is extremely well done, Rodney. This is a game that anyone can really enjoy, so I hope your video encourages more people to try it.

Thank you Mike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay M
United States
Greenville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What a great choice! I love Sekigahara, and I will use this video to orient new people who are interested in playing.

Some people really like the opportunity to "study up" before a game, when a specific game has been mentioned as the play. Rodney's videos are a perfect thing to point them to, because he's the best in the biz.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Campeau
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
Brazilian Jiu Jitsu brown belt under Bruno Fernandes.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Such a wonderful and elegant game. It may well be the best block wargame out there. Definitely my favorite that I've played so far!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan
United States
WI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Say Rodney.

I see you've got a few COIN games on the shelf. How about a video for one of those? I'm currently working my way through the rule book for Colonial Twilight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
(ɹnʎʞ)
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fastattaq wrote:
Say Rodney.

I see you've got a few COIN games on the shelf. How about a video for one of those? I'm currently working my way through the rule book for Colonial Twilight.

I would also be interested in either Colonial Twilight (2-player COIN game) or Cuba Libre (apparently the easiest one to learn).

But if Rodney wants to check off wargames and modern classics in general, I think we all know which wargame would have priority ... mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark K.
Austria
Vienna
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great video for a great game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Smith
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nice to see a wargame! Bookmarked for when this pretty game makes it to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.