Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Christopher Hayashida
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I seem to remember that the Pegs discussed Architects of the West Kingdom. I found episode #138, where Jeremy and Patrick (I think?) talked about the game.

Later on twitter, I think someone pointed out that they played slightly wrong and made getting your workers a lot more punishing than it needed to be.

However, I didn't know if any of the Pegs went back and played it.

I played it for the first time last night, and I concentrated on capturing everyone, but then my strategy didn't work when I found out that I was limited on the number of apprentices I could have to convert money to resources. My engine pretty much broke.

Anyway, I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks about the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Turner
United States
Glen Allen
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played it once, so take this with a grain of salt.

It was OK. The worker placement mechanism was different. It gave you a little bit to think about. I didn't feel the theme at all. Just kind of a standard resource gathering game with a slightly different worker placement mechanism. I'll play it again if someone wants to, but feel no need to own it or chase it down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgueni K
Canada
flag msg tools
It was one of my favourite games last year and we still really enjoy it. It gets played often in our house.

One thing that I see a lot of people make a mistake with in this game is to concentrate on strategies, but this game is not about picking a strategy and sticking to it, as that will make you lose.

It's really more of tactical game where you must base your actions on what's currently available (the buildings in your hand, the buildings you've built, the apprentices you have and the apprentices available to hire, turns left, everyone's spot on the cathedral track, your virtue, etc.)

There will be games, with the right combo, where you really want to put people in jail and refresh the black market as much as possible, and it will make you rich, other times you'll be better off going to the black market and collecting debt, or building the cathedral, or just go all out on gold, marble or other resources.

The game is the one that dictates which strategies will be viable at any one time, and it can really make or break certain strategies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Owlbear
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
I just wanna play more games
badge
Hoothoot GRRR!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I've only played it the once but loved it. Got a nice sneaky engine working with the black market and building.
Really want a copy of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Daigle
United States
Goodyear
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was wary of buying this after hearing the pegs issues, but did anyways. And I’m glad I did, this has become a family favorite, with even my 7 year old able to grasp the rules and be competitive. It is crazy how one slight rules gaffe can mess up the play of a game. It would be nice to hear them touch back on it a bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Kelly
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We discussed the gaffe and our experience without the rules error the next episode. Glad to hear so many of you are enjoying it. We’ll be discussing our thoughts on Paladins soon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Hayashida
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pablopk wrote:
We discussed the gaffe and our experience without the rules error the next episode. Glad to hear so many of you are enjoying it. We’ll be discussing our thoughts on Paladins soon.

Thanks, Patrick.

I missed it in the episode 139 show notes because it was just listed as "Rule error." Listening to it now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.