Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
Hello Everybody!

In my latest endeavor to learn Angular(-js) I decided to work up a feature that I had been talking with N/A
for at least a year. His app (https://github.com/MWChapel/bggtest) is called the Active Auction Search.

I borrowed some of his ideas and turned it into this - GeekShopper!. While it is called GeekShopper - it only searches the active auctions on the site against your current wishlist, I'd eventuall like to turn it into a full blown pricing search engine across the site, and possibly others too.

It's currently in beta - and it has a few issues when trying to determine if an auction has been sold or not, but I think it's useful to release now. Hope you find some use in it.

If you'd like to check it out - head on over to the GeekShopper page and check your wishlist, and maybe search for some stuff. There's a lot of active auctions currently going on here.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gene
United States
Venice
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! Watch where you point that thing :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Feeding the addiction
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
This would be great as it sounds like I could retire my auction finder...

Yet Another Geek Auction Finder Tool (appended to side of the OLWLG)

as well as the other guy with an auction finder...

BGG Metalist Auction... meta site

fwiw a popular feature of mine is that folks can subscribe to either a daily or a weekly geekmail of new auctions matching and per user customizable using their collection data on any combination of wishlist (including which level 1-5), want to buy, want in trade, etc

I would assume on BGG instead of geekmail new matches would show up in folks subscription page....

Maybe next BGG will integrate a math trading system and I can retire the OLWLG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
JeffyJeff wrote:
This would be great as it sounds like I could retire my auction finder...

Yet Another Geek Auction Finder Tool (appended to side of the OLWLG)

as well as the other guy with an auction finder...

BGG Metalist Auction... meta site

fwiw a popular feature of mine is that folks can subscribe to either a daily or a weekly geekmail of new auctions matching and per user customizable using their collection data on any combination of wishlist (including which level 1-5), want to buy, want in trade, etc

I would assume on BGG instead of geekmail new matches would show up in folks subscription page....

Maybe next BGG will integrate a math trading system and I can retire the OLWLG?

Hey Jeff - assuming you want to retire them? I will check out the features and see what I could integrate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Shegda
United States
mauldin
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw that earlier and was like what is this!? I clicked it. surprise def feeding the addiction
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Royce Calverley
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's a great tool. It would be perfect if there was someway to filter by shipping location or possibly OP's location.

Most US auctions won't ship to Canada so it becomes difficult to sort through.

I don't know how it could be done, but maybe I'm missing something easy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Michaud
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
On-Line Want List Generator - Hopefully Making Math Trades a Little Bit Easier
badge
Captain Kirk, Captain Picard, Captain Sisko, Captain Janeway, Captain Archer
mbmbmbmbmb
Aldie wrote:
Hey Jeff - assuming you want to retire them? I will check out the features and see what I could integrate.
Well I'd definitely like to retire my auction finder... it was never intended to be permanent... I whipped it up as a stop gap when James Ludlow's original (geek) auction finder was down for an extended time and then James decided to abandon it... ironically it was because of MWChapel...

Re: Auction Aggregator discussion thread

One thing James's tool did I recall that was popular was a custom rss feed for folks... though that of course like my geekmails will be better as actual BGG subscriptions or whatever you have planned.

edit: fwiw I just checked and 506 folks are using getting either daily or weekly new geek auction items matching their flags...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evan Dunn
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
You toast the waffle.
badge
In a syrupy voice, the awful waffle walker tries to butter you up.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeffyjeff's auction finder grabs me this item when I look for things on my wantlist.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/255220/item/6850524#item6...

In this case it's because I have the deluxe fireball marbles flagged as a want. Geekfinder doesn't grab it though. Don't know if this is because it's something added in the description of the listing or if it's because it's an accessory.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Monroe
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
Another suggestion which I believe JeffyJeffs auction finder does is we can select an option to leave out wishlist #5 (Don't Buy This) from the results displayed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stymie says, "No Fidgets"
United States
SF Peninsula
California
flag msg tools
"Nobody down here 'cept us dummies"
badge
"Betcha can't throw that donut on my finger"
mbmbmbmb
Clearly you've forgotten the cardinal rule, "Never trust Chapel!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
Budo and boardgames...
badge
...weapons and wargames
mbmbmbmbmb
Another suggestion is to exclude all items marked "Wishlist(5)Don't buy this". I'm currently looking in GeekShopper at a long list of games I'm never going to buy.

Edit: or perhaps make that a checkbox like "owned". It's strange these games clutter my wishlist to begin with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
I use JeffyJeff’s auction finder fairly regularly. I would definitely use an integrated solution like this as well. Can’t wait to see how this evolves with all the good suggestions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The name is a little bit misleading. Geekshopper makes me think it’ll have something to do with the geek store or the geek market. Maybe GeekScanner or AuctionFinder?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JJ's implementation has been a go-to for me since the original went dormant several years ago. Keying on the wishlist is of most importance. The updates via PMs is also essential. The only negative, and this was just based on the old design, was that in order for the lookups to work, the GL auction needed to be fed into the over-arching auction metalist. Which for new users or those unfamiliar with the entire ecosystem, sometimes was missed, and therefore the exposure was limited for these specific auctions.

Overall, the new tool looks nice and was responsive. Good work to all involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich Keiser
United States
Waunakee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another point is the efforts by local guilds or organizers to run location-centric sales/auction lists. A legit GL of local sellers advertising their for sale items, presumably targeting the local market - ie for pickup/F2F transactions. All items listed in marketplace, but these local flea markets have always been a bolt-on to the system.

If there is a way to provide regional lookups, or something similar, perhaps that may help reduce these lists... which can then just be used as pointers/adverts to the new system. For that work, I know that requires users to include valid/accurate location data in their profiles, which some/many do not... so perhaps another data point such as region or market for a listing?

I know this is an aside from your goal, but in a way, it is just a variation on the same concept.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce Journey
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This is very cool. Can you tell me how the list that is generated is organized?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
This is a good idea, but why use the wishlist instead of simply games marked "want to buy?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Schmitz
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tool wrote:
This is a good idea, but why use the wishlist instead of simply games marked "want to buy?"

I know that I use wishlist and not want to buy. Just because "want to buy" almost seems redundant. I wish for a lot of things, so maybe they'll be purchased for me from family so that I don't have to go and seek them out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francesc Lopez
United States
West Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
Nope
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks great.
Similar to the point below. I always missed a way to sort the auctions by distance or get warnings when a close by auction is happening. There is nothing in the DB in place for this but I am wondering if it would be possible to grep the zipcode from the auction description in a reliable way.

darthhugo wrote:
Another point is the efforts by local guilds or organizers to run location-centric sales/auction lists. A legit GL of local sellers advertising their for sale items, presumably targeting the local market - ie for pickup/F2F transactions. All items listed in marketplace, but these local flea markets have always been a bolt-on to the system.

If there is a way to provide regional lookups, or something similar, perhaps that may help reduce these lists... which can then just be used as pointers/adverts to the new system. For that work, I know that requires users to include valid/accurate location data in their profiles, which some/many do not... so perhaps another data point such as region or market for a listing?

I know this is an aside from your goal, but in a way, it is just a variation on the same concept.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Leedguitar wrote:
tool wrote:

I know that I use wishlist and not want to buy. Just because "want to buy" almost seems redundant. I wish for a lot of things, so maybe they'll be purchased for me from family so that I don't have to go and seek them out.

And I use "want to buy" and not wishlist. I agree they seem very redundant. I think this tool should use both, or allow users to pick one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M@tthijs
Netherlands
Venlo
flag msg tools
Budo and boardgames...
badge
...weapons and wargames
mbmbmbmbmb
tool wrote:
Leedguitar wrote:
tool wrote:

And I use "want to buy" and not wishlist. I agree they seem very redundant. I think this tool should use both, or allow users to pick one.
I never used "Want to buy" because I thought it would be an invitation for sellers to make an offer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Northampton
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leedguitar wrote:
tool wrote:

That's the perfect reason to use both. You put items you're likely to pick up yourself on your "want to buy" list and for the items you hanker for but won't pull the trigger on, you put those on your wishlist. That way people aren't buying you gifts only to find out you've already bought a copy. And you'll only be looking at auctions for things you're seriously considering.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
_Kael_ wrote:
tool wrote:
Leedguitar wrote:
tool wrote:

I never used "Want to buy" because I thought it would be an invitation for sellers to make an offer.

There's no mechanism for that. (Sellers could GeekMail people individually, of course, but they could do that with your wishlist just as easily.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
tool wrote:
_Kael_ wrote:
tool wrote:
Leedguitar wrote:
tool wrote:

There's no mechanism for that. (Sellers could GeekMail people individually, of course, but they could do that with your wishlist just as easily.)

Actually, I was wrong - sellers can't GeekMail people who list things as "want to buy" because that's not visible on the game page. Wishlist is (as is "want in trade.")
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Thunkd wrote:
Leedguitar wrote:
tool wrote:

That's the perfect reason to use both. You put items you're likely to pick up yourself on your "want to buy" list and for the items you hanker for but won't pull the trigger on, you put those on your wishlist. That way people aren't buying you gifts only to find out you've already bought a copy. And you'll only be looking at auctions for things you're seriously considering.

As with a lot of things around here, that's a sensible way of doing things but I get the impression that many people don't do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »   |