Subject: Wellycon 2019 No-ship Maths Trade - DISCUSSION thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
Life is mostly froth and bubble, Two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own.
badge
YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello all!

I'll be organising a no-ship maths trade for Wellycon this year. This thread is for discussing the process, keeping informed, giving feedback, casting aspersions on my parentage, and anything else related to the maths trade.

Not sure what a maths trade is all about? Ask questions here! Or read this article:
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/wiki/page/Math_Trades

This will be a no-ship maths trade, which means that traders will be required to attend Wellycon (or send somebody along as a proxy) to give and receive games:
https://www.wellycon.org.nz/

Cash/voucher items will NOT be allowed in this maths trade - but remember that there is a bring-and-buy area at the event!

Here are some games that people WANT to see offered for trade:Wellycon 2019 No-ship Maths Trade - REQUESTS

Here is the OFFERS geeklist, where you can add the things you want to trade away:
Wellycon 2019 No-ship Maths Trade - OFFERS

Here's a rough timeline:
15/April : Discussion thread & Requests geeklist
20/April : Offers geeklist opens
11/May : Offers geeklist closes, submissions open
25/May : Submissions close, results posted soon after

1-2/Jun : Wellycon!

I'll post in this thread (and update this post) as things proceed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gavin McGruddy
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Thanks for organizing Andrew! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzanne P
New Zealand
Lower Hutt
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for this! Such an awesome idea

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
Life is mostly froth and bubble, Two things stand like stone. Kindness in another's trouble, Courage in your own.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Offers geeklist is up:

Wellycon 2019 No-ship Maths Trade - OFFERS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jessica Eccles
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Alarm! Alarm!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yay! This is my first Math trade. I've watched the NZ Math trades with interest in the past but the shipping has always put me off.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitri Koudrin
msg tools
How do I post games so they show up like everyones with the game picture and all?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkoudrin wrote:
How do I post games so they show up like everyones with the game picture and all?

Near the top of the geeklist there should be an 'add item' button. Click that, then select 'board game', then start typing the name in the box. It will suggest ways to auto complete, and if you select one then it will automatically add the appropriate image.

Then just fill out the details like condition and when you'll be attending, and hit 'save' down the bottom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitri Koudrin
msg tools
Cheers Andrew, added. What happens next?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
On the 11th, I'll lock the offers geeklist, and tell the OLWLG to start accepting submissions - people will then have two weeks to decide which of their items they are willing to trade for which of other people's items.

Then the computer gives us our trading orders, and we thank our new robot master for its wisdom.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron Roberts
New Zealand
Wellington
Wellington
flag msg tools
Whats the leeway on the requirement to attend?
If I'm unlikely to actually be able to devote the time to attend the convention, but am local and can physically visit the location to complete shipping-free trades, is that within the bounds of the rules, or am I stretching them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
crcroberts wrote:
Whats the leeway on the requirement to attend?
If I'm unlikely to actually be able to devote the time to attend the convention, but am local and can physically visit the location to complete shipping-free trades, is that within the bounds of the rules, or am I stretching them?

The leeway is enormous, like that of an underpowered hovercraft.

Being able to pop by just to complete trades is perfectly acceptable, though hopefully you'll be tempted to come in for a quick game (and then leave, blinking confusedly, eight hours later).

It's also fine to arrange for somebody else to be your mule, and haul games to and from the con.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzanne P
New Zealand
Lower Hutt
Wellington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KAndrw wrote:
[though hopefully you'll be tempted to come in for a quick game (and then leave, blinking confusedly, eight hours later).

This explains my first Wellycon perfectly... and now four years on I'm part of the Committee organising the whole thing! Wellycon/board gaming events are so much fun
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Smith
New Zealand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Online Want-List Generator seems to be open.
Here's a guide on how to use it if (like me) you've not been in a Maths Trade before.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim W
New Zealand
Lower Hutt
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I think that some games may be missing off the Want list - e.g I submitted Munchkin Pathfinder last night before cut-off, and it's not there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Digby
New Zealand
Lower Hutt
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only see 99 items on the want list generator, but there are 141 entries in the OFFERS geeklist. Any ideas?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've been running around after children all day, wrangling swimming lessons and enduring birthday parties, so haven't got around to locking the offers list and doing a final sync of the olwlg - doing it now
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kim W
New Zealand
Lower Hutt
Wellington
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
No worries! Thanks for the update

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have enabled submissions, a mere 20 hours after I said I would!

You can now work out what you want to trade for and tick boxes, but I highly recommend taking advantage of the auto-checking feature:

* In step 3, click the link next to "If you would like to view the entire list" to show all items.
* For each item you are interested in, hit the 1-click add button
* Hit the button to the right of the shopping cart at the top of the scren to view YOUR items
* Assign a value to each
* Hit the step 4 button
(* use duplicate protection if you are after items that exist multiple times!)
* Assign values to all the items that you're after

Then look for "How to assign values and auto-check boxes" near the top of the screen, and watch the computer do lots of work for you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitri Koudrin
msg tools
Where are we doing all this???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkoudrin wrote:

If people were keen to do a single meetup, I'd suggest 1pm somewhere near the main entrance (I assume there is a main entrance - I know nothing about the venue!) But people are also free to just arrange with their trading partners how and where they'd like to meet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitri Koudrin
msg tools
KAndrw wrote:
dkoudrin wrote:

If people were keen to do a single meetup, I'd suggest 1pm somewhere near the main entrance (I assume there is a main entrance - I know nothing about the venue!) But people are also free to just arrange with their trading partners how and where they'd like to meet.

I meant where are we doing all of the things you said prior (i.e. your instructions). I believe I figured it out now and have made my list of requests and games I'm willing to trade for, but boy is this a difficult way of doing things!

So now we wait to see if anyone is willing to make trades for my games I guess?

Meeting up to complete the trades is the easy part lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The olwlg is designed for people who are bored by the intuitiveness and modern sensibility of bgg's forum system

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rowse
New Zealand
Wellington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dkoudrin wrote:
I believe I figured it out now and have made my list of requests and games I'm willing to trade for, but boy is this a difficult way of doing things!

If you (or anybody else) wants to double-check your submissions, you're welcome to send me the geekmail that the olwlg sent you, and I'll sanity check that there's nothing outrageously wrong.

Quote:
Meeting up to complete the trades is the easy part lol.

I've been to a couple of the large Essen maths trades meetups. They were... overwhelming!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve McIlhatton
New Zealand
Palmerston North
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah the Essen trade meetups were insane.

Quite well organised but the sheer numbers of folk was crazy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dmitri Koudrin
msg tools
I've forwarded you the geekmail Andrew.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.