John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
Good morning, Pegheads! This week, let's look at the topic of Lists. Everybody seems to love making lists, reading lists, talking about lists, etc. A key feature of this very site is Geeklists. Gamers love to make lists, and one of the most common lists is the Top games list. Whether it's a Top 10, a Top 5, a Top 50, or a Top 100, I'd wager that most of us could make a list of our favorite games. BGG certainly seems to think we should all at least know what our Top 10 games are; they've made it a featured part of each BGG User's profile page.

So let's talk top tens. How many of you know your top ten games by heart? Can you rattle them off without thinking about it? These lists are by nature subjective and can change from month to month, week to week and even day to day! Do you maintain your top ten in your BGG profile? Do you curate it daily, just try to update it one a year, or are you somewhere in between? How do you decide what goes on your top ten? Have you ever used Vasel's index card method, or an online tool like Challonge (https://challonge.com/) or PubMeeple's Board Game Ranking Engine (https://www.pubmeeple.com/board-game-ranking-engine/) to fine-tune your list?

And by the by, please don't forget what the Pegheads really want to know...what are you playing this week?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good question, John. Lists are the bane of my life (my wife says I'd do a lot better if I wrote stuff down on lists, but I then forget to write the lists, so have to write "write a list" on a list, which I then fail to do). And I use lists so much for work (well, technically, bug tracking software generates the lists for me, but I populate them - with entries AND with the bugs in the code in the first place, hehehe). So I tend to avoid having to make lists of *anything*.

But... my top 10 games? It's tough. It's like listing my top 10 films - I know what films I'd put in the top 10 roughly, but no idea what order, as they all suit different moods. Same with games; I've used that Board Game Ranking Engine webpage, and I just couldn't make it work for me - Do I prefer to play game X or game Y? Well, depends entirely on who I play it with and what mood I'm in. I ended up with a list that was vaguely ordered, but I could easily mix around the top 50 depending on my mood or who I'm playing with.

Saying that, Castles of Burgundy is in my top 10 for sure. Keyper recently rocketed up into my top 10, too. Anachrony is somewhere in that top 10 as well. What else is in there? I couldn't say without specifically going through my games-played list. Sure, I could sort my collection here on BGG by my own rating, but I wouldn't end up with a list of top 10 games, just top 10 games I rate highly, which is quite different.

EDIT: Ok, here's a completely unreliable top 10 games for me (made up on the spot from memory). I'm not ranking them individually, they're just in whatever order I remembered them:
- Castles of Burgundy
- Citadels
- Keyper
- Anachrony
- Die Speicherstadt
- Carcassonne
- Stone Age
- Petrichor
- 7 Wonders
- Snowdonia

This week: I have a new game that Automa Factory are working on to start playtesting. And a host of other bits and bobs to playtest.

My kids are on Easter holidays too, so I may get some games in with them over the long weekend. Yeah!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgueni K
Canada
flag msg tools
I don't really keep any lists, but they are always fun to make! And it's hard to say what's my top 10 as that changes pretty often.

Having said that, these are the games that get a lot of playtime and are the first ones to come to mind, and are probably safe to say that they are or were in my top 10 at one time or another:

(in no particular order)
Spirit Island - By far our most played and favourite coop, love everything about it, from the gameplay to asymmetry to art and components.
Mansions of Madness: Second Edition - As a big fan of Lovecraft, this is the only Chthulu game that really appeals to me, and I love the addition of the app as it brings a great amount of theme and immersion to it
Aeon's End: War Eternal - By far our favourite deck builders, no shuffling makes this game a lot more strategic and we enjoy how the Nemesis are really different from each other
Card City XL - I'm a big fan of Alban Viard and really enjoy the growth mechanic he created, this is our favourite relaxing puzzle game that really gets us thinking
The Castles of Burgundy - Classic Feld, easy to play with others, satisfying point salad and just a really great game that doesn't seem to get old for us
Race for the Galaxy - This is my favourite tactical tableau game, and probably my favourite card design. It takes a bit of getting used to, but once you know what everything is, I love how so little tells you so much with the iconography.
Arboretum - It's not widely known and rulebook needs some work, but this is by far the coolest dueling game that I've played that really feels like a dueling game

It's not 10, but it's close and those are the games that immediately came to mind, and see far more gameplay that any other game in our collection.

---

For this week, it will mostly be lots of smaller games as it's a busy time for us, so we'll be taking out Hanamikoji, Martial Art, Arboretum, Fox in the Forest, Shadows in Kyoto, Grifters, Combo Fighter and probanly a few other under 30 minute games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I usually go through the PubMeeple ranking tool about once every 6 months for fun before/after culling the collection. I recently went through and refreshed my top 10, which had more shuffling in it than past years:
1. Vinhos Deluxe Edition
2. Argent: The Consortium
3. Keyflower
4. Ginkgopolis
5. Concordia
6. Star Wars: Rebellion
7. The Gallerist
8. War of the Ring (Second Edition)
9. Brass: Birmingham (new to the list!)
10. Lisboa

Not sure what is on tap for playing this week outside of playing Escape Plan the second it arrives!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a few Geek Lists kicking about. Unplayed games, 2019 aquisitions, Top 20. As far as Top 20 list, I have looked at all my games played, written down games I know I love, then went from there. Pretty much the Vasel method, but w/o cards or anything. When I play a new game I really, really like, I revisit the list. I change it up a few times a year and the list usually shuffles around pretty dramatically.

Gaming this week: FLGS game day. My usual goal of an unplayed game (or two) goes in effect. I'm thinking of The Manhattan Project: Energy Empire and The Oracle of Delphi.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lists, how do I loathe thee? Let me list the ways...

(...AAARRRGHHHHHH!!!!!...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Kunes
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My Top 10 is getting a little fuzzy at the bottom and is prone to change this year but if I had to rattle off from memory, I'd go:

Railways of the World
Power Grid
Bruges
Concordia
The Castles of Burgundy
Orléans
Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar
Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game
Trajan
Terraforming Mars

I publish my Top 100 every August. I do try and maintain the Top 10 in my profile as well as list other Top X lists in my profile that are representative of me as a gamer. This past year I used PubMeeple's engine for the first time for the first cut and I massaged it a bit, more so as I got further down the list.

As for this week, I have another busy work week and my wife is working full-time hours this week so I don't expect much gaming. We have a game of Pulsar 2849 sitting on the table with one round to go carried over from last week Wednesday or Thursday to be finished. I might get a solo game or two in, but only time will tell.

meeple Keep playing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John,

As a yet-to-be-diagnosed adult with ADD, I need lists in my life for so many things, but most of all to keep me focused on the most important things I need to accomplish. And yes, I've been known to add things that I've done around the house that weren't even on the original list to feel a sense of accomplishment. But enough about that...

As far as Top 10 lists for games go, that's a tricky one for me as I love solo-play; Ping and I play a number of games two-player; I host a weekly Game Night at a pub where I'm always introducing new games to folks and games to new folks; and finally, I host a Game Night at my house once a month, so each of these particular aspects of my gaming life would/could have their own Top 10 list.

Right now, if I walked into a room and it was already set-up, I would jump at the chance to play any of these titles:

1. 7 Wonders
2. Arkham Horror
3. Castles of Burgundy
4. Concordia
5. Glass Road
6. Martians: A Story of Civilization
7. Raiders of the North Sea
8. Tiny Epic Galaxies
9. Troyes
10. Wingspan

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Edge

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only have my top 5 memorized, and right now that's because there was a major shift. Two, really. I have a top 50 that's a few months old and next October it will get revamped. But here's the top 5.

1. Skull King (with legendary expansion)
2. Argent: The Consortium
3. Great Western Trail
4. Rajas of the Ganges
5. (I lied, I only remember these).

Azul is up there. As is Concordia. Viticulture has been in my top 10 in the past.

But Skull King is the big change. Number 2 for a long time, it moved up to the top due to the most recent play of it on Tuesday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernard Donohue
United States
Newark
California
flag msg tools
badge
Kneel puny Doomtrooper before the might of the Ezoghoul!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't make tons of lists, but I do maintain my Top 10 and Hot 10. Top Ten is the games I own that I have the most *fun* playing. Might not be the most engaging or the "best" games, but the ones I really just want to play. Hot 10 for me is which of my shelf-of-shame/unplayed games do I want to hit the table the most.

My top 10:

Mutant Chronicles: Siege of the Citadel
- Yeah, this one is a bit of nostalgia - but it's the game that got me into gaming.
Roll for the Galaxy - I love dice. I love tableau building games. I love San Juan.
Mechs vs. Minions - replaced Roborally as my favorite programmed movement game. Great gameplay mechanism + amazing components + semi-legacy aspect.
Gloomhaven- Just a great dungeon crawler that I plan to play for years as it is months between sessions. And that's ok. Also helps that Isaac was a roomie in the Cabalist house.
Escape: The Curse of the Temple - Favorite real time coop. Just simple. 5 Minute Marvel is nipping at its heels though.
Xia: Legends of a Drift System - Particularly with the expansion. A true sandbox game.
Blue Moon City- Just elegant. So happy to see that it is going to be released again.
Mysterium - I've got the polish edition withour the wierdness of the american edition end game. Dixit meets clue. Love it to death. Rarely manage to win.
Flip Ships - Pure stupid dexterity fun of the highest caliber.
Custom Heroes- Can't even define exactly why, but I just *adore* this game.

As for this week. . well, going to Cancun. Which traditionally means a TON of Martian Dice played on a float in the resort pool. Maybe some Sprawlopolis or Twin Stars: Adventure Series I. Probably bring along a copy of The Mind in case we make resort friends.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The order may fluctuate from time to time, but these games are generally among the top 10 for me.

Chicago Express
Agricola
Arboretum
Cosmic Encounter
The Castles of Burgundy
Istanbul
Glass Road
Bruxelles 1893
Dune
Three Kingdoms Redux

Played through a 6 round solo Grand Tour in Flamme Rouge and really enjoyed it. The solo gameplay may not be particularly amazing, but simply watching the cyclists run through the tracks was entertaining. My team finished second to the Peloton team.

Picked up The Fox in the Forest and Caverna: Cave vs Cave. Played CvC tonight and really enjoyed it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D&D Friday turned into board game night again (always awesome). I brought Lords of Hellas to get off my unplayed list (damn, this is going to be a fun game to play!), but we ended up playing another new to me game called Monster Slaughter. It is as Ameritrash as you can get: dice rolling, random everything, lucky/unlucky everything else...but I love Ameritrash, so it's okay. It's a cool twist where you play a monster family trying to kill typical horror movie characters in a cabin. Your turn is fun, attacking and scaring the "guests", but what's even more fun is screwing with the other monster players on their turn by playing various cards which mess up their plans or help the "victims" fight back. As per usual with this group, we role played up our monsters and the victims and laughed all night.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
I like to make lists, and have gone a bit crazy with the game-tracking lists this year. Loving it.

I do refresh my top 50 every other year or so. Feels like I should do it more often than that.

My greatest aspiration is to start doing a Rahdo-style super rating in which I rate every game in a comprehensive list, but it's too much work.

This was a week of travel, but I got a lot of gaming in anyway:

Tabletop:
Yggdrasil (in Iceland, with a native Icelander teaching!)
Friday x3
Onirim x7
Oceans
Carpe Diem
Tiny Towns
Qwixx x4
Concordia
Monikers
K2 x2

Apps:
Ganz Schon Clever x9
Potion Explosion x2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Nye
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmb
I do have my top 10 and hot 10 here on BGG that I went and looked at after reading the question for this week. Have to say I am not very good at keeping it up to date (been a few years) so I fixed that quick, shout out to
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
for helping me stay on task. I do love seeing others tops list but when looking at mine own it feels lacking. I just don't play a lot of different games so my lists just are not based on a very large selection. It is kind of like saying these are my favorite games but if I get the chance I know this, this and this would be better. Oh well all in due time.

Through the week I got to sprinkle in a few games of Carcassonne and Gold Fever

Then this weekend was Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle – The Monster Box of Monsters Expansion the third box with not a win at the end, then Dragon Castle and Survive: Escape from Atlantis! with some peghead friends up from Cincinnati.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Update: on Friday night, Ping and I hosted a friend for dinner and games. I taught Glass Road, which everyone loved. While I cooked the Shrimp Scampi pasta dish, Ping and Priya played 7 Wonders Duel. After dinner, we played Castles of Burgundy, with Priya and I scoring 211!

On Saturday, Ping and I played Glass Road again, with her winning by one point, 15-14.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last week was a celebration of some new hotness - the arrival of Escape Plan! We played it twice over the weekend and are really enjoying it (our 2-player games have only taken ~70 minutes, not including setup). I also got some lunchtime gaming in at work, teaching Herbaceous and Codenames: Duet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.