Subject: Haunt 50 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
repousser

Oakland
California
msg tools
mbmbmb
Hi everyone, rule clarification question about haunt 50.

The rule says « Jonah gets bored easily, so you can’t play the game that was played on the previous turn ».

Player 1: plays show and tell
Player 2: cannot play a game, so attempts to catch the die on the back of the hand.

Question: can player 3 then play show and tell? As the rules are written, no game was played on the previous turn, so could the next player then choose show and tell as the game to play? My interpretation of the rules suggests yes, as no game was played on the previous turn. Or are the rules written so that you cannot play the same game twice even though there was a turn between the two games.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
repousser

Oakland
California
msg tools
mbmbmb
(Yes, I know that after the die throw player one should go again, but the real question is about what “the previous turn” means.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It seems pretty clear that you can choose any game at that point. The previous turn would be the turn when the player did the "catch a die" bit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Correct. No interpretation is necessary: if it says you can't play the game played on "the previous turn" and "the previous turn" did not have a game, you can choose any game and it was not played on "the previous turn." For it to work like you suggest, it would use the words "can't choose the last game played."

Also, the correct way to play this Haunt is to pull the page out of the book, set it on fire, and go to next scenario shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In case it is not clear, Seth really disliked this haunt.
Spoiler (click to reveal)
So did I

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
repousser

Oakland
California
msg tools
mbmbmb
Ha! Thank you both. My BIL is a lawyer and I work in books, so we got into a very spirited debate about the meaning of "the" in that sentence.

It also seems to be the most widely disliked haunt based on all of my searching last night. It was definitely a weird one, looking forward to getting back into more traditional haunts next session.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin DeWitt
msg tools
Wow, this was my family's second favorite haunt, mechanically. They liked how much it broke the game's expectations and traditional sequence of turns. My son and wife still compete to catch dice on the backs of their hands.

Their favorite haunt was the one with the Nightmare and pushing over the dice stacks, for the great combination of story and flavor.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seth
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
repousser wrote:
Ha! Thank you both. My BIL is a lawyer and I work in books, so we got into a very spirited debate about the meaning of "the" in that sentence.

"The" is just an article; it has essentially no meaning, it just serves to reference a particular thing. It has no impact on the meaning of the words around it, aside from making the sentence grammatically incorrect if you were to omit it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.