Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
Blue Peg, Pink Peg Gaming Podcast
mbmbmbmbmb
Its time to welcome you tooooooo........your reroll. This time around we are rerolling Altiplano. What are your thoughts on this game? Remember if you leave comments also leave your rating! I imagine lots of people will have thoughts on this one. As usual I will pick a couple to read on air.

Poll
1. Have you played Altiplano?
Yes
No, but want to.
No, but would if someone brought it out to try.
No and no desire to.
2. What is your BPPP rating of Altiplano?
6- Collection Essential
3- average game.
0-the worst.
      150 answers
Poll created by rookenoble

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Treebeard
United States
DFW Area
Texas
flag msg tools
I Design Broken Token Game Inserts
badge
I Design Broken Token Game Inserts
mbmbmbmbmb
I have Orléans and have played Altiplano a handful of times. I personally prefer Orléans but can see the merits of Altiplano, 5 pegs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vorpal Greatsword
United States
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would like to play Orleans to get a comparison, but as it is, Altiplano is pretty great. The only negative that I keep coming back to is the overall play time is a little too long. I have yet to try it with the Traveler expansion though, and I have heard that it helps speed up the game so it's definitely getting added in next play.

Some people may mention the quality of the cardboard. I fixed that early on by brushing the edges of the tokens and the boxes with a little glue. I've had no issues because of it, though I am patiently awaiting for BGG to release some GeekUp tokens in the near future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Goodman
United States
King of Prussia
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Altiplano was okay, I wanted to like it more than I did. I'd play it again, but given the choice I'd much rather play Orleans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Light
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like Altiplano but I need a few more plays of it. I like it more than Orleans but it is worth it to own both.

5 pegs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gregus48 wrote:
Altiplano was okay, I wanted to like it more than I did. I'd play it again, but given the choice I'd much rather play Orleans.

My exact thoughts exactly. The game felt much more prone to A.P. with our group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oskar Arnason
Iceland
Reykjavík
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I was hyped about it after a couple of plays, but it quickly wore off as it became same-y fast and went to the trade-pile after an overly extended 4p game. Orléans with the Trade&Intrigue expansion holds the slot in my collection with easier simultaneous play, and the worker movement in Altiplano didn't do much for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Orleans a few times before selling it. It just felt way too vanilla for my taste. No tough decisions, no tension. Just draw, place, add it all up at the end.

Then along came Altiplano and completely raised the stakes. The movement mechanism restricting what actions you can take, buying that juicy special action tile or grabbing that all important bonus card before your opponent does, deciding between holding on to a token to keep churning your little engine a few more rounds or throwing it in your storehouse to go for end game bonus points....There are always tough decisions to make each round. This game just clicks in so many ways that Orleans did not. Yeah, it can run a bit long especially with new players, but that doesn't really matter when you're having fun!

A solid 5 out of 6 Alpacas for me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Miller
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I like Orleans, bot I prefer Altiplano. I like that you have to be in the location to do the action, which is an extra condition to doing the action selected. I also like that you must go thru ALL your tokens before they go back in the bag to be drawn out again.

It's a heavy game, with so many paths to victory. It's a bit long for my taste, but I still quite like it and am willing to play it whenever.

I have some mixed feelings about the expansion. I've only played with it once, and most players tended to ignore the new mechanic. It seemed, kinda fiddly, in a game that's already pretty fiddly.

I think Altiplano does offer some interesting choices and decisions. When to store tokens in the warehouse, when to invest in buildings for special actions, and how to distribute your tokens. Are you waiting for that ONE to come around so you can do this powerful action, or do you use the other token you need to do something else in the meantime?

I don't think I have a coherent strategy for the game, but I do quite enjoy it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
Blue Peg, Pink Peg Gaming Podcast
mbmbmbmbmb
pulling these soon...get your thoughts in soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Creaking Shelves
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
I liked Altiplano, a given turn of it was very enjoyable, but it always went on 2-3 turns longer than I felt it should. That just left me feeling glad it was over, instead of excited to play again. 3 pegs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Cornelison
United States
Richland
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played it only once. It's got a Emperor's New Groove vibe. I Liked it enough to add it to my collection. It was in shrink for months, gave it away as a wedding present to a gamer friend. Currently looking for another copy. I like Orleans better. Altiplano is a 4 for me, Orleans is a 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.