Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
5 Posts

Winsome Games» Forums » News

Subject: About the current state and future of the Winsome Games' Essen Collection rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ingo Griebsch
Germany
Bochum
North Rhine-Westphalia
flag msg tools
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
badge
Coding Architect | Husband and father | Boardgame addict | Loves Clutch as well as Tricky
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

as you maybe have seen here on BGG I'm the one who collected information about the Winsome Games' Essen Collection during the last years. I also created a bunch of geek lists to give you all a quick and simple overview of all the games included. You can find more details about all this here and here. During the communication with John Bohrer regarding the Winsome Games' Essen Collection for 2019 he asked me to let you all, who are fans of Winsome Games and interested in their games, know about the following:

The 2019 Essen Set consists of two games, 'Pennsylvania Railroad' and '1836'
This is probably the last Essen Set we will produce, and we can not produce
as many as last year. That means that some existing customers will be shut
out of this year's set and I am very sorry for that.

Existing customers are being contacted in order of seniority, with the German
and other European customers being contacted first, as they have been getting
our games since 1994, 25 years ago.

There will be no Public Announcement, we will only accept requests from existing
customers. Existing customers who will just die if they do not get the 2019
Essen Set are invited to email me about getting an Essen Set. I always respond
within 24 hours.

I remind gmail users to check their SPAM folder. If I send someone an email and
they do not respond, it is not my fault that they have a problematic 'free' email
service. To quote my very wise Paternal Grandmother, who received a BS degree
in 1911, 'Anything free is worth what you paid for it'.

I am 63 years old and retired. Making all these Essen Sets is more difficult than
many seem to think. I will still create games and they might be licensed. There
are 6 existing Winsome Games licensed to big firms that have not yet been announced
by the licensees.

I thank all of our Customers. Winsome customers are the cream of the crop,
smart, savvy enough to look beyond our crap components, with only rare exceptions
fully comprehending our rules correctly on the first play. Some of my local
non-gaming friends say that I create games for geniuses. Perhaps they are right.

John

Even though I do not expect any more sets, I'll let you know if there are more to come. Personally, I find it very sad that there will probably be no more sets. Many of the games are something special in my opinion and above all have something fascinating about them that you can not find in many games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
skippen
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
admin
Cary Grant, 1904 - 1986
badge
How old Cary Grant? Old Cary Grant fine. How you?
Well I hope my number comes up in this one. We will see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris K
United States
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is sad news indeed but at least many more will be exposed to the wonderful contributions made by Winsome, it's designers, and John.

d0gb0t wrote:
I will still create games and they might be licensed. There are 6 existing Winsome Games licensed to big firms that have not yet been announced by the licensees.[/i]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Smith
United States
Jackson
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those who care about such things, I sent an email as indicated above and received my set yesterday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Yeung
United States
Paradise Valley
Arizona
flag msg tools
GO IRISH!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John Bohrer wrote:

We have managed to get 2019 Essen Sets to all the folks who have continuously acquired our Essen Sets from 1994 to 2018, 1995 to 2018, etc, up to all the folks who have continuously acquired our Essen Sets from 2010 to 2018. At that point, we did not have enough 2019 Essen Sets for everyone in the 2011-2018 group, so we addressed another group: Those existing customers who proactively emailed me saying they just *had* to have the 2019 Essen Set. We don't have enough sets for all those folks, either, but we are helping as many as we can. Do not now email me that you will just die if you don't get a 2019 Essen Set, folks, the line is too long. Do not offer to produce sets for us. I am in constant communication with Real Game Publishers about licensing our games, we will see what eventually makes it out there. It is not the end of Winsome, just the end of the Essen Sets.

The last of the 2019 Essen Sets should be out the door this week. Again, I am sorry that I could not help everyone, but making these sets is a bear and I am getting too old.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.