Popular Tags: [View All]
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Something I recently realized over last weekend is that I haven't played many 2019 games yet. Granted, it is still pretty early in the year, but so far I'm rocking 2 titles (Escape Plan, which I technically got to play last year, and Vadoran Gardens). Have you played a lot of 2019 new hotness yet? I have found I've been trying a lot more older titles that are new-to-me. Any new-to-you favorites from the past so far this year?

But what the Pegheads really want to know is...what are you playing this week?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Smith
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wait...it's 2019?!?!

wowsurpriseblush
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
2019 arrivals I have played include Gùgōng and Wingspan, and I enjoyed both games very much. That's not saying much, because I like almost everything. My most recent favorite game play is probably The Castles of Burgundy...take that "The Hotness". I recently also got to play my current #1 of all time game, 1754: Conquest – The French and Indian War, and had a blast with that even though my team got beat up.

This week should be super busy for gaming. Having learned Lords of Hellas, but not getting to play it, has my interest peaked. I KNOW I am going to love this game and secretly hope my D&D game turns into game night again. Either way, I'm going to try and figure out how to play it this week.

Saturday will be family game night. We'll continue the Near and Far campaign if both my kids come, or I'll play Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases with my daughter. Super excited to play that with her for when we need a two player option. I know I can get a game together for Sunday, but may want to have a mini painting day. We'll see.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Hickman
United States
St. Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Unplugged since... 2016
mbmbmbmbmb
2019?

I've played Wingspan, Gugong and a whole heck of a lot of q4 2018 games.

This week:

Underwater Cities x2 (Tonight and Tomorrow)

Blood Rage (Thursday)

KeyForge: Call of the Archons (Friday)

and hopefully over the weekend I can get in some Viticulture EE w/ Tuscany and Azul with the wife.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Paul
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Gugong about a month ago; I liked it, but I'm not chomping at the bit to play it again. 4 player count.

Played Dinogenics last week, and enjoyed it a lot. 3 players - the other 2 had played Dinosaur Island before - I hadn't - and they both said they liked Dinogenics much more.

End of this week - Nashville Tabletop Day on Saturday, 12 hour event. Hoping to get in a play of Teotihuacan, and maybe teaching Euphoria with the expansion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a lot of Wingspan with already a dozen games played.

This week, my gaming shall be confined to digital versions of Troyes and the solo title Black Sonata for a few days. As I didn't run into any Pegs while in Barcelona, Paris, and Amsterdam a few weeks ago, as I just landed in Malta, I don't expect to find any on this island either. Shame I missed rando by...that much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
2019 games, huh? Well, I've played Wingspan, Fleet: The Dice Game and Euphoria: Ignorance Is Bliss, but technically I played those a year or more ago during playtesting so I won't count those.

I've played a lot of prototypes that will be releasing this year, or even next year, as well, but I won't count those either.

Actual published games that came out in 2019 that I've played only in 2019...:
- Resident Evil 2: The Board Game - played with a local group, in a darkened themed room with Resident Evil 2 on the Playstation playing in the background, and smoke machine and sound effects playing - great silly fun;
- The Quacks of Quedlinburg: The Herb Witches - I'll count expansions to previously released games as a valid answer. This was a good expansion to the already great fun base game.

This week: I'm hoping to go to a new game group on Thursday (new to me, that is - the group's been running for about 6 months, but I've just kept not being free on Thursdays!). It's run in a local bakery shop, so also hoping for some scrummy treats to munch on whilst playing!...

Also on the cards (pun certainly intended) is more prototype testing; some great games coming along, peeps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Vannoy
United States
Shreve
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2019 games... well kind of for the states in Underwater Cities. Just came out from Rio Grande Games here a month ago or so and love it. I don't play solo games but played it once to learn it solo which led to 3 more times solo over the next day and a half.

As far as recently played games. A lot of War Chest. I just cannot get enough of this game which I picked up at the same time as Underwater Cities. Dinosaur Island hit the table while we had to feed the table in a Feast for Odin. Oh, I did get to play Quacks of Quidlinburg this past weekend for the first time and really enjoyed it. Also gave Space Base and Villainous another go. Space base is so much fun. I really enjoy that. That led to my wife and I bringing out the new deluxe version of Machi Koro and playing a couple of the variants that we had never played before. And that was my easter weekend which was all mostly played on Saturday with Machi Koro and Villainous being the only Sunday games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Like Joe, I've played a lot of Wingspan (12 plays).
Like Kris, I've played a lot of late 2018 games (Underwater Cities, Architects of the West Kingdom, Newton, Carpe Diem)

The two other 2019 games I played were both during the game night at Labyrinth Games last week:
- Oceans, the new stand alone game from the Evolution series by North Star Games
- Tiny Towns, a really interesting new building game coming out from AEG next month.

This week:
Underwater Cities tonight
No other firm plans, but I'd love to play the introductory mission for Hellboy, which showed up yesterday. Check out the size of this beast, placed next to K2 for scale:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I have just signed myself up for a huge task: Lisboa on Sunday. Invites have been confirmed, a time has been selected, and this game is going to hit my table. I started casually watching Paul Grogan's rules video last night, and the set up just kept going on and on and on...like one of those "medication" commercials where the announcer keeps listing the potential side effects. It was almost comical.

Not only will this game come off my un-played list, but it will be the first play of my 5x5 for this game. I am just going to put it on the table, and learn it super casually over the next week until Sunday game time. I love having an understanding wife who doesn't mind the dining room table always having my game junk and nerd stuff on it.

Really looking forward to playing this game!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Got out to a new (to me) game group last night. Over half the people there were playing in a Magic tournament, so only left 3 other people who I could play with. So we broke out A Game of Thrones: Catan – Brotherhood of the Watch. It's not something I'd have chosen to play, but the changes to theme it to Game of Thrones made it a welcome tweak to the standard Catan formula. Enjoyed playing (despite coming last on 7vp). Didn't solve any of the standard Catan issues though (if no one trades with you, you're pretty screwed; if someone lucks out on getting development cards having VPs when you've bought 6 and had none, there's nothing you can do; if enough other players happen to block your potential pathways, you can be blocked out of essential resources, etc).

What was interesting was having the semi-coop-style building guards on the Wall to protect from Wildlings breaches. Unfortunately, we all pretty much ignored the Wall for half the game as we were playing the Wildling spawning rules wrong, so by the time the Wildlings had built up enough to have an effect, we were woefully underguarded. But one player pretty much sacrificed any possibility of winning to man the wall to protect us all (because, if the wall is breached too many times, EVERYONE loses).

So, nice twist on Catan. Can't say I'd be eager to play again though.

We then played a few rounds of Coup. I was reminded again never to play this with players who know the game so well they basically just meta-game the entire thing. I fumbled through all three rounds, and did manage to bluff a few times, but I didn't really know when to challenge and when to bluff. Clever game, but one to play with a group on the same level as you.

Finally, a few of the regular members of the other game group turned up, and I taught them The Builders: Antiquity. Great fun little card game. I was only teaching, not playing, as they started before I'd finished Catan, so I just sat in on their second game (and corrected all the rules errors I'd forgotten to mention during my quick 3 minute teach!). But they enjoyed it enough that one guy went straight onto Amazon and picked up a copy! Huzzah.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgueni K
Canada
flag msg tools
I got Getaway Driver and Burgle Bros. yesterday, so planning to get these out. Already had the fun of adding all those stickers yesterday and we're ready to play them now. And if there's enough time in the evening, then I'd love to add Escape Plan in between for a heist themed night for 2. Now, I just need to get Fugitive for the full experience!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Edge

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
2019 games played: Passing Through Petra (apparently that's 2018, ok), Gùgōng (BGG also says this is 2018 ... But I know I had a long wait to get my copy in February of 2019), Wingspan, Euphoria: Ignorance Is Bliss, and GoodCritters (another late 2018), Skull King with the Legendary Expansion (that is the "new" stuff, late 2018), and Just One (might be late 2018 ... at least I didn't look for it until 2019).

So looks like mostly 2018 games in the new-to-me category. I also limited what I'm buying this year as far as games are concerned. The 2019 games I'm most looking forward to playing are Futuropia (why is that 2018?) and Century: A New World. I'm really just waiting for Futuropia to drop in price, mainly because I don't want to buy online right now. I'll probably acquire it next month.

Haven't played anything this week beyond a couple of games of Skull King, but will probably get a quick game of Azul, Notre Dame, or First Class in today. Sunday I taught Just One and house ruled it to make it work for 8 players. Turned out ok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Vannoy
United States
Shreve
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
weirdlaugh wrote:
Sunday I taught Just One and house ruled it to make it work for 8 players. Turned out ok.

Any special house rules?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Edge

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrBungle333 wrote:
weirdlaugh wrote:
Sunday I taught Just One and house ruled it to make it work for 8 players. Turned out ok.

Any special house rules?

Because there are 7 stands, the person guessing would not have a stand in front of them and the card would be passed around the table after the number was said (which tends to happen anyway). Standard guessing rules apply (a lot more flipping can happen with more players). Then, when the guesser changes, they exchanged the deck of cards for the stand with the person to their left.

Worst part about this is that non one keeps their favorite color the entire time (and that all colors, even those that are harder to read, are used). But, everyone was still engaged. I also put 16 cards into the deck so that all players got to be guesser twice (which should alter the scoring, but I didn't mess with that).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Vannoy
United States
Shreve
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
weirdlaugh wrote:
MrBungle333 wrote:
weirdlaugh wrote:

Any special house rules?

Because there are 7 stands, the person guessing would not have a stand in front of them and the card would be passed around the table after the number was said (which tends to happen anyway). Standard guessing rules apply (a lot more flipping can happen with more players). Then, when the guesser changes, they exchanged the deck of cards for the stand with the person to their left.

Worst part about this is that non one keeps their favorite color the entire time (and that all colors, even those that are harder to read, are used). But, everyone was still engaged. I also put 16 cards into the deck so that all players got to be guesser twice (which should alter the scoring, but I didn't mess with that).

Just played for the first time this weekend and really enjoyed it at 6 but we are having a huge family vacation in June and will be playing it there. Thought about just making a new game out of it with index cards and we can have many play but more clues cancelled out more likely. I will go somewhat prepared and wing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Managed to get in a nice game of Carcassonne over the weekend with my 10yo. She's played before (as she remembered all the rules), but I don't recall playing it with her for months, if not years. She got right into it though [she'd requested to play it].

We played with the Ferries mini-expansion and the Halflings promo tiles, just to add a little variety but not much extra play time. Even so, we ended up splitting the game over two days, half the game on Saturday evening and the rest on Sunday afternoon. So nice to get to play this; despite being a gateway-level game, it's still one of my favourites of all time. Lovely game. And uncharacteristically, I managed to beat my daughter, 193 to 165.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Paul
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I attended Nashville Tabletop Day on Saturday. I played:

Euphoria: Build a Better Dystopia - I was the teacher; 4 players, everyone liked it!
Welcome To... - 1st ever play, another solid R&W.
Spell Smashers - 2nd play for me, and I was the teacher. I won, but I'm not sure if I want to rush to play again soon.
Deception: Murder in Hong Kong - 1st ever play, lost as an investigator.
Istanbul: The Dice Game - 1st ever play - very fun. Didn't realize how quick this game plays, though.
Teotihuacan: City of Gods - Absolute hit of the night. Definitely my favorite 2018 release, and already looking forward to the expansion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Weekend Update:

Ended up with only two players on Friday, so instead of D&D, I learned Mechs vs. Minions. Got it off my unplayed list, and it was one I have been very excited to try. Played through (and beat) 3/10 modules, and this is a very fun game. It made me feel like I do at the start of every Gloomhaven scenario: there is no way we can beat this. While I played it at two, I think I'd really like to see how it plays with three and four players. While your character wouldn't level up as fast, you'd have more mechs to share the objectives with and help alleviate some of the stress (maybe?).

The kids came over Saturday and we played another map for Near and Far. I think our overall enthusiasm is waning, and I don't know if we'll play many more (if any) of these adventures. I dig the game, but we are all settling into playing the same way each time. Then we got our butts kicked by a 4/5 difficulty Mansions of Madness: Second Edition scenario. The game just had it in for us this time and nobody had an ability to heal horror or damage. We also couldn't find the correct things and got "red herringed" to death. As usual, we had a blast playing this one. So far, it's may daughter's very favorite game.

Finally, Lisboa was a no go. This game is a beast and I am going to need to spend more time learning it. Soon I hope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.