Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
670 Posts
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [27] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades

Subject: Origins 2019 No Ship Math Trade (Columbus, OH: June 15) - Complete! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jim Leitzel
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Origins 2019 No Ship Math Trade (Columbus, OH: June 15) - Open for submissions!
Quote:
It will be a trade for those who refuse to learn Abecorn AND those who don't see the point of learning Abecorn since there is now an OLWLG option.

I did not think there was a second trade using the OLWLG for Origins.. I thought this year the Abecorn variant was being used.

Am I missing something concrete?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Anderson
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Let the sleeping dog lie!
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Origins 2019 No Ship Math Trade (Columbus, OH: June 15) - Open for submissions!
porkuslime wrote:
Quote:
It will be a trade for those who refuse to learn Abecorn AND those who don't see the point of learning Abecorn since there is now an OLWLG option.

I did not think there was a second trade using the OLWLG for Origins.. I thought this year the Abecorn variant was being used.

You're not missing anything...there is one trade and it is using Abecorn this year.

I hadn't used it before but learned it pretty quickly. The interface is a little wonky to get from one section to another, but if you stay in the "Origins 2019 No-Ship Math Trade" section and just use the three tabs below it (Browse/Add Items/Make Trades), you can get to all the stuff you need to see and manage. Just ignore the left-hand menu bar, that way leads to madness.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
porkuslime wrote:
Quote:

No you are not. I went back and modified the language of my post to better illustrate I am/was working in the hypothetical in reply to corkyrsu's assertion no harm comes from a second math trade and that to argue otherwise is dishonest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Fields
United States
Cincinnati (I only do in person trades)
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
benfriedberg1981 wrote:

2. The 'wanted' filter doesn't seem to do much. I would have expected for it to filter down to games that I had flagged as 'wanted' or that I wanted for trade on my bgg collection. Anyone find a use for that?

I messaged abecorn... I'm pretty sure that's just broken. In the past Ben (who built abecorn) has been great about fixing bugs quickly once they're brought to his attention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
So, about 24 hours in and we're up to 750 items!

For comparison, last year's total was 4074 items. That trade still ranks as the largest no-ship trade on record.

It did however include a bunch of items like "$10 cash", which Abecorn handles internally, without needing to make items for each value for each person. So, I'd say we're up to 20%-25% of last year's total already.

In just one day.

I look forward to how the next month fills in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
windfarms wrote:
Solution, we calculate the math trade live by hand with a chalkboard.

PS

Thank you for running the trade year after year Pete!

That sounds simultaneously very interesting and absolutely terrifying
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Anderson
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
PeteVasi wrote:
It did however include a bunch of items like "$10 cash", which Abecorn handles internally, without needing to make items for each value for each person.

If I'm willing to take cash or gift cards in trade, do I need to add those items to my want list, or will Abecorn automatically pair these based on the values I assigned to my items for trade?
I'm guessing I have to add gift cards, but what's up with cash?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Leitzel
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a feature in Abecorn like in OLWLG where you can just view the new items since you last looked at the list? Or will I need to go thru the whole list every time I want to see what is newly added?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Anderson
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
porkuslime wrote:
Is there a feature in Abecorn like in OLWLG where you can just view the new items since you last looked at the list? Or will I need to go thru the whole list every time I want to see what is newly added?

When you are looking at the "browse" section, right below the search tab there are some filter options. You can set one to "Most Recent" (I think the default) so the newest stuff is at the top. So, you just scroll down until you think you've seen something already. It's not exactly what you are asking for, but the closest I've found.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Peterson

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
porkuslime wrote:

We recently switched to a consolidated view that improved some things but temporarily disabled some features we already had. There used to be a new item indicator that was smart enough to know what items you already viewed and it would go away 30 minutes after viewing. I will bring that back for the consolidated view we have now.

Still, it is easier to not miss out on subsequent posts of an item you have already hearted. Even in other trades outside of origins. The games you have hearted automatically appear in your queue in any trade you want to participate in. Don’t forget after clicking the plus in your queue to go to the detailed matrix tab and either fill in your graph or your matrix.

Kris also noticed sweetener search is a little worse now. When you search for a game by name we do in fact include sweeteners in that search but due to the new consolidated view only the first post of that game becomes the master and it’s sweeteners are included. I will be able to fix it quickly to include displaying even if the item with the sweetener is not the master.

Yes, the wanted checkbox filter has a small bug I will fix today.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know this will depend on how many items you're trading and/or how difficult it is to find people, so answers will obviously vary. But as a noob to the Origins Math Trade, I call on your expertise.

Based on your experience, how long does it take to complete your math trades at the show? If I schedule a game 1 hour after the meet-up time, will that be pushing things too close? Should I wait 2 hours afterwards?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Norton
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cubbo wrote:
I know this will depend on how many items you're trading and/or how difficult it is to find people, so answers will obviously vary. But as a noob to the Origins Math Trade, I call on your expertise.

Based on your experience, how long does it take to complete your math trades at the show? If I schedule a game 1 hour after the meet-up time, will that be pushing things too close? Should I wait 2 hours afterwards?

It's highly dependent on your trade partners. And the more games you have, the longer it'll take. In my personal experience, an hour for making about 7-8 trades is a reasonable assumption. But ymmv.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Leitzel
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Based on last year.. 15 minutes of yelling, pushing, and frantic waving generally ends things
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
Cubbo wrote:

No guarantees, but people start showing up 30m to 1hr early to stake out a spot and start swapping. Usually, the majority of trading is done 30m after the posted "start".

But there is always one person who doesn't show up on time.

And they always seem to have 20 trades, meaning 40 some people looking to give them something or get something from them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Hunt
United States
Oregonia
OH
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cubbo wrote:

You'll be fine
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fix
United States
Sterling Hts
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JBMoby wrote:
Cubbo wrote:

No guarantees, but people start showing up 30m to 1hr early to stake out a spot and start swapping. Usually, the majority of trading is done 30m after the posted "start".

And they always seem to have 20 trades, meaning 40 some people looking to give them something or get something from them.

Agree.

I would say 1 hour would be pushing it. If you have a fair number of games to trade, you'd have to put them somewhere after you are done. I usually figure at least an hour, between hunting down the people you need and the occasional late shower-upper.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
rlfix wrote:
JBMoby wrote:
Cubbo wrote:

Agree.

I would say 1 hour would be pushing it. If you have a fair number of games to trade, you'd have to put them somewhere after you are done. I usually figure at least an hour, between hunting down the people you need and the occasional late shower-upper.

If the trade time is 9:50 then I will be there at about 9:50.

If you want people to come early STATE AN EARLIER TIME. lol.

Hell I would love tosee this later in the day but I understand why it can't be.... but when you game until 4 or 6 in the morning 10AM comes SO EARLY.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Morch
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I go to the website it won't allow me to add items. I can browse the items but when my cursor goes over the add items button a red circle with a slash comes out and won't let me. Anyone know why?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dmorchredwing5 wrote:
When I go to the website it won't allow me to add items. I can browse the items but when my cursor goes over the add items button a red circle with a slash comes out and won't let me. Anyone know why?

Are you logged in? Sometimes it gets weird for me and I think I'm logged in but I'm not.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you granted abecorn access to your BGG account? I remember doing that before I was able to list items.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Anderson
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another question: is there a way to prioritize trades? Like I am willing to trade my game A for X, Y, and $25, but I'd prefer to trade for Y if I can, and only take cash as last resort?

Edit:
Maybe I figured this out. I see you can assign values to the items on your want list. I'm guessing it uses those for priority.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cubbo wrote:

As a general rule of thumb, I think an hour is enough time to complete your trades, but as everyone else has stated, it largely depends on your trading partners. My first math trade was at Origins last year and sure enough there was a guy that was over an hour late to arrive, and there were at least 25-30 people waiting on him.

That said, if you have an event planned, you can always contact all of your trade partners once matches have been made to inform them to work out alternative times to meet if they can't be there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StandSure wrote:
Another question: is there a way to prioritize trades? Like I am willing to trade my game A for X, Y, and $25, but I'd prefer to trade for Y if I can, and only take cash as last resort?

Edit:
Maybe I figured this out. I see you can assign values to the items on your want list. I'm guessing it uses those for priority.

IIRC,prioritization is something that is handled in the Trade Maximizer (which i think is still used in Abecorn trades, but I could be wrong), but it always comes after finding the greatest number of possible trades. Most mods will opt to maximize the number of participants over accounting for prioritization as well.

In other words, prioritization is the third banana, if it is even included in the bunch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Anderson
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JBMoby wrote:
StandSure wrote:

Edit:

IIRC,prioritization is something that is handled in the Trade Maximizer (which i think is still used in Abecorn trades, but I could be wrong), but it always comes after finding the greatest number of possible trades. Most mods will opt to maximize the number of participants over accounting for prioritization as well.

In other words, prioritization is the third banana, if it is even included in the bunch.

Thanks. After playing around with assigning values, it doesn't seem like I had a real affect on my trade list, unless it is behind the scenes. Sounds like it will be luck of the draw.

In a related question, if I assign minimum dollar values to my offerings, does that only limit the CASH offers I would accept, or does that look at assigned values of other games and restrict those trades too? For example, I might be willing to trade Game A for a $10 value Game B that I really like, but would want $20 if all I can get is cash. If I say I will only accept $20 for Game A, will Abecorn nix a trade for Game B? Or is this moot because I would have to add cash offers to my grid?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StandSure wrote:
JBMoby wrote:
StandSure wrote:

Edit:

Thanks. After playing around with assigning values, it doesn't seem like I had a real affect on my trade list, unless it is behind the scenes. Sounds like it will be luck of the draw.

In a related question, if I assign minimum dollar values to my offerings, does that only limit the CASH offers I would accept, or does that look at assigned values of other games and restrict those trades too? For example, I might be willing to trade Game A for a $10 value Game B that I really like, but would want $20 if all I can get is cash. If I say I will only accept $20 for Game A, will Abecorn nix a trade for Game B? Or is this moot because I would have to add cash offers to my grid?

No clue. Abecorn as it is now is new to me. I haven't read up on that feature. It was added after I got out of the Abecorn game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [27] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.