Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
671 Posts
[1]  Prev «  23 , 24 , 25 , 26 , 27  | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades

Subject: Origins 2019 No Ship Math Trade (Columbus, OH: June 15) - Complete! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Kris Fields
United States
Cincinnati (I only do in person trades)
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
JBMoby wrote:
tpgrove wrote:
This was my first Origins and Math Trade, I was 15-20 minutes late b/c of Pride traffic.

Why does Origins schedule on Pride weekend? That's going to be difficult to grow as one of the best board game conventions if you choose to go up against a festival that's more important to Columbus, attended stronger, and directly adjacent.

Origins has grown every year since 2017, so I don't think they are too worried about it.

2006-2013 - Attendance was relatively static hovering between 11,852 and 10,030 unique attendees over that period.

Year -- Dates -- Unique atendees - Pride Week?
2014 - June 11-15 - 12,902
2015 - June 3 - 7 - 15,938
2016 - June 15-19 - 15,480 ------- mb
2017 - June 14-18 - 17,001 ------- mb
2018 - June 13-17 - 18,648 ------- mb
2019 - June 12-16 - ??,??? ------- mb

There is plenty overlap between the two events and I don't think this is some sort of "pick one or the other" situation. You can do both.

As far as traffic, I did put up a big warning post in this very thread (https://boardgamegeek.com/article/32091217#32091217).

I knew the pride parade would be an issue but I still have no idea how to plan around it. Like a number of people, I drive in from Cincinnati that morning and I can only leave so early without completing ruining my convention experience as well as the experience for anyone riding with me.
And I still have no idea where the best place is to park and still be able to get to the convention center through the parade while toting 30+ games. Or alternatively, where I can have someone drop me off/pick me up that is close to where the actual trade is happening.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Turner
United States
Bexley
Ohio
flag msg tools
BGG has paid for itself by saving me from buying crappy games!
badge
Come on people! Donate! nothing in life is free!
mbmbmbmbmb
There really is very limited options. You want it to happen when school is out so that eliminates the first week of June. The second weekend is the Art Festival (one of the biggest in the midwest) which causes havoc on traffic because some streets are closed all weekend. Then you have pride weekend (which other than the parade, the events are all away from the CC), the last weekend is always Comm fest which is a huge event that happens pretty close to the convention center which means the parking lots will be jammed again. The weekend after that is fourth of July weekend. So there are just two weekends in the middle that you could play with.

I am not sure which one gets scheduled first, Pride or Origins. But from being involved in conventions, i know that big ones like Origins are probably planned three years out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danni Loe
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
publisher
Communications Manager
badge
Game Manufacturers Association
mbmbmbmbmb
Avalaunch wrote:
I knew the pride parade would be an issue but I still have no idea how to plan around it. Like a number of people, I drive in from Cincinnati that morning and I can only leave so early without completing ruining my convention experience as well as the experience for anyone riding with me.
And I still have no idea where the best place is to park and still be able to get to the convention center through the parade while toting 30+ games. Or alternatively, where I can have someone drop me off/pick me up that is close to where the actual trade is happening.

We got a lot of feedback about providing more logistical information about navigating the Pride traffic. I'll make a guide for next year about best places to park, how to get across the street, and which times are the busiest outside the convention center!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
Saltone wrote:
There really is very limited options. You want it to happen when school is out so that eliminates the first week of June. The second weekend is the Art Festival (one of the biggest in the midwest) which causes havoc on traffic because some streets are closed all weekend. Then you have pride weekend (which other than the parade, the events are all away from the CC), the last weekend is always Comm fest which is a huge event that happens pretty close to the convention center which means the parking lots will be jammed again. The weekend after that is fourth of July weekend. So there are just two weekends in the middle that you could play with.

I am not sure which one gets scheduled first, Pride or Origins. But from being involved in conventions, i know that big ones like Origins are probably planned three years out.

Origins already has their dates up for next year, but I think pride is just "third weekend in June", so its a tie?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
Avalaunch wrote:

My recommendations:

1) Reserved parking. I think Origins did send an email about this at some point. Several garages now offer reserved parking for events. Some are for the whole event, some will do by the day. This is the best way to know where you are going and know that you can park when you get there.

2) Figure out an alternative. I have reserved parking in the Chestnut Garage (south of Crown Plaza Hotel). It is a trek at around a half mile to the trade site (and 4 elevator rides this year), BUT the entire walk is covered/enclosed and a lot of it is air conditioned. With a cart, you can get 60+ games to the trade in about 15 minutes (personal experience, one man, one cart). The garage was about 15-20% full on Saturday, so I'd recommend that as a solid, although distant, second if you don't have a reservation and your first or second choices are already full. I doubt it will somehow become the hot garage next year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh C.
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
The Pendragon
mbmbmbmbmb
JBMoby wrote:
Avalaunch wrote:

My recommendations:

1) Reserved parking. I think Origins did send an email about this at some point. Several garages now offer reserved parking for events. Some are for the whole event, some will do by the day. This is the best way to know where you are going and know that you can park when you get there.

2) Figure out an alternative. I have reserved parking in the Chestnut Garage (south of Crown Plaza Hotel). It is a trek at around a half mile to the trade site (and 4 elevator rides this year), BUT the entire walk is covered/enclosed and a lot of it is air conditioned. With a cart, you can get 60+ games to the trade in about 15 minutes (personal experience, one man, one cart). The garage was about 15-20% full on Saturday, so I'd recommend that as a solid, although distant, second if you don't have a reservation and your first or second choices are already full. I doubt it will somehow become the hot garage next year.

I have used the Vine Street Garage for the last 5 years and it has been great. $15 to park, but close to the Convention Center. I get there around 9:00 so there is no problem getting in, but on the way back to my car after the trade I have to cross the parade (but I usually have a cart and just politely push my way through ).

https://goo.gl/maps/Y6HxdSpm7Qo57pL49
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
daloester wrote:
Avalaunch wrote:

We got a lot of feedback about providing more logistical information about navigating the Pride traffic. I'll make a guide for next year about best places to park, how to get across the street, and which times are the busiest outside the convention center!

AS always... you're awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
PeteVasi wrote:
I'm organizing too many things in my life now, so I think it's time I retired as the Origins Math Trade organizer. I had trouble keeping up with conversations and timely communication this year and would like that to be better. I've been running it for about 6 7 years now, and it's gotten so much bigger over that time. Admin-wise, Abecorn definitely helps out on that side, and Bien's help there was great and much appreciated. I've met many wonderful people along the way and every year I'm impressed by some new clever sign or family of game-runners. A definite thanks to all of you.

So, if you're up to the task of running future Origins Math Trades, let me know.

A reminder to anyone interested: if you're interested in running the trade or helping out in an official capacity, lemme know. I'll hand it off this weekend.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Friedberg
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Pete, I'm up for running it unless someone is super-stoked about taking things over.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Ehlers
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
I love you!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I left Cleveland Saturday morning with the goal of getting into the Goodale parking garage 8-8:30am. When I pulled in (about 8:20) they were down to about 80 spots. I've always had the expectation that I need to be in early to find decent parking. Even years where I've stayed at a hotel downtown, I try to keep my car over there for the math trade. It's the shortest walk and you don't have to deal with Pride at all to get in and out (including leaving the convention).

I'd reevaluate this plan if the MT switches what side of the convention they're on, but it's served me well for the past 5 years or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stephenson
United States
Everett
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
benfriedberg1981 wrote:
Hey Pete, I'm up for running it unless someone is super-stoked about taking things over.

Ben, I'd be interested in helping/hosting as well if you'd like a hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madelyn C
United States
Locust Grove
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bien wrote:
benfriedberg1981 wrote:

Bien - are you still working through the geekmail for those of us that did not get the games we were supposed to from you at the Math Trade? I know you had a box that get sent to the wrong place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stephenson
United States
Everett
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
madax66 wrote:
Bien wrote:
benfriedberg1981 wrote:

Bien - are you still working through the geekmail for those of us that did not get the games we were supposed to from you at the Math Trade? I know you had a box that get sent to the wrong place.

Yes, I sent a few out this morning(the mis-shipped box arrived late Wednesday). I'll send the rest out tomorrow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Madelyn C
United States
Locust Grove
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bien wrote:
madax66 wrote:
Bien wrote:
benfriedberg1981 wrote:

Yes, I sent a few out this morning(the mis-shipped box arrived late Wednesday). I'll send the rest out tomorrow.

Awesome thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sokolowsky
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't make it to Origins this year but I really want to go back next year. The math trade is one of my highlights at Origins when I can go. I'm willing to run the math trade but I would prefer to use the OLWLG. I have run many smaller math trades at local conventions and feel very comfortable with it. However, if I am not able to go to Origins someone else would have to run things onsite.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Norton
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
esok wrote:
I didn't make it to Origins this year but I really want to go back next year. The math trade is one of my highlights at Origins when I can go. I'm willing to run the math trade but I would prefer to use the OLWLG. I have run many smaller math trades at local conventions and feel very comfortable with it. However, if I am not able to go to Origins someone else would have to run things onsite.

You're a braver man than I for willing to run the trade. I would suggest, though, that the organizer be available onsite. If you are unable to attend Origins 2020, then I think it would be wise not to organize the trade. Just my two cents.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nathertater wrote:
esok wrote:

You're a braver man than I for willing to run the trade. I would suggest, though, that the organizer be available onsite. If you are unable to attend Origins 2020, then I think it would be wise not to organize the trade. Just my two cents.

What does an organizer need to do on site?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Friedberg
United States
Warsaw
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryodoan wrote:
Nathertater wrote:
esok wrote:

What does an organizer need to do on site?

Aside from being a reassuring figurehead, the organizer can settle onsite disputes, interface w/ the Con mgmt (GAMA), set up the sign-in sheet, and generally just have a 'feeling' for how the trade goes. For instance, awareness of the volume of people (and the 50-person line) should definitely inform the choice of location for next year...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Turner
United States
Bexley
Ohio
flag msg tools
BGG has paid for itself by saving me from buying crappy games!
badge
Come on people! Donate! nothing in life is free!
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestion,

Any trader that has maybe 20 items and is going to be a setter and not a walker should set up in the hall way heading toward the parking garage closer to the garage for parking, there is definitely more room to get through. A couple of the large traders (not just Bien) in the main area really clogged the place up.

Just a suggestion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
esok wrote:

Honestly if you have a figurehead that will act in your stead I have no problem with you running it next year. In fact that would be great with me. I'd rather use the olwlg myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Monaghan
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Saltone wrote:

And a big no thanks to belligerent gamer guy who jumped in front of the line while others were waiting on Bien. It was barely 10:30, there was a line and you walk around yelling and give your games to someone while yelling "I am not waiting in this line to just give games" (you were so belligerent you did not even realize that you just gave your games to some random guy who I hope took them)Yes, Bien was late and overwhelmed, but a lot of us were waiting to try to get through the process (thanks to everyone else). You know who else was only giving games? Me! And you basically just made me wait longer. The situation sucked, but there were others like myself who were trying to get to events or other places they needed to be and you feeling it was your right to just jump the line and be an A** was really uncalled for. You weren't screwing Bien, you were screwing all the other people that are waiting. You were my worst experience of the con, Thanks!

Couldn't agree more. I was about 5 people from the front of the line when this jagoff spouted off and threw a hissy fit. I hope some rando took his games, too.

All in all, the math trade was a good experience. I moved 25 games I never play, got 5 I hope to play, and some gas / food money for the weekend. Win all the way around. Thanks for those who organized the event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  23 , 24 , 25 , 26 , 27  | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.