Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
640 Posts
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [26] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades

Subject: Origins 2019 No Ship Math Trade (Columbus, OH: June 15) - Complete! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Origins 2019 No Ship Math Trade (Columbus, OH: June 15) - Open for submissions!
StandSure wrote:
JBMoby wrote:

The South Marketplace is the food court, which will probably be busy.

I stayed at the Drury last year (my first Origins) and so walked through that food court a lot. I seem to recall it being fairly large and open and not super busy in the morning, except for people waiting to get breakfast at the couple open places. Maybe a more seasoned veteran could weigh in on that, since I can't be sure my memory is accurate.

I see a few issues.

1) Tables and Chairs. Lots of stuff to maneuver around

2) Businesses may not take too kindly to 100 screaming people for an hour and half taking up the space their customers are supposed to be able to sit.

My recommendation would be the space behind the ramp (decorated the past two years with Dragonfire ads) going up to the connecting hall going over to the Convention Center proper from the Hyatt. There is usually someone performing there later in the day, but not in the mornings. There are a few tables and chairs under the balcony there, but if we stick to the area behind the furthest pillars and close-ish to that balcony area, we would be out of the way of foot traffic.

Around the escalator that is under of "Nursing Mothers" on this map:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony A.
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Re: Origins 2019 No Ship Math Trade (Columbus, OH: June 15) - Open for submissions!
How large is the mezzanine on the second floor of the North Atrium? I recall it being spacious, but not sure if it's big enough to fit everybody.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Hudak
United States
North Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dinasemrys wrote:
How large is the mezzanine on the second floor of the North Atrium? I recall it being spacious, but not sure if it's big enough to fit everybody.

probably not spacious enough. Plus there are usually events up there on Saturday.

I was thinking about suggesting the area next to the union ballrooms, as its pretty big and there usually isn't anything there. However, its also next to the stairs and doors, and too many people might cause a fire hazard that the con might not like.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Norton
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Can we just use the same space as before? I mean, Saturday morning, very little will be happening at registration, right? It's not like we're trading on Wednesday during peak hours, or when the con is wrapping up...right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony A.
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mb
Saturday is probably the busiest day of the convention. A lot of people show up with the one-day passes. Also, we have no idea how the registration booths will be set up in the North Atrium. It could be that they'll take up only a small part near the walls and escalator, or it could be that they'll take up the entire atrium.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
dinasemrys wrote:
Saturday is probably the busiest day of the convention. A lot of people show up with the one-day passes. Also, we have no idea how the registration booths will be set up in the North Atrium. It could be that they'll take up only a small part near the walls and escalator, or it could be that they'll take up the entire atrium.

Also I don't want to explain every 30s that "no, this isn't the line for registration. The robots told us to give eachother games, move along".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Dayton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New to math trades and Abecorn. Think I have everything setup correctly but have a question. Once I select all the games I'm willing to trade for another game/s I clicked on "Summary" and confirmed. Is that all I need to do or is there something else I need to do to lock everything in for trade consideration? I also noticed the "Auto Complete" button. Wanted to check before clicking on that. I wasn't sure what the difference was between Auto Complete and confirming my selections in Summary. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So how does it work once we all show up?

In my head, it was something like a private room set up, some tables, some volunteers collecting all the games, then when the games are accounted for, on the last day or so, you could pick up any confirmed trades.

But it seems it might be more like getting off an airplane and seeing a sign with your name on it?

Will there be a microphone and someone calling off the trades, or is it more like the airport method?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
Polioliolio wrote:

In my head, it was something like a private room set up, some tables, some volunteers collecting all the games, then when the games are accounted for, on the last day or so, you could pick up any confirmed trades.

But it seems it might be more like getting off an airplane and seeing a sign with your name on it?

Will there be a microphone and someone calling off the trades, or is it more like the airport method?

You are responsible for your trades. Most of them get done at the Meetup. But you can do them at any time during the convention.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Hudak
United States
North Canton
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Polioliolio wrote:

Here's how it typically goes (based on official start time):

Minute -60 - 0: The early birds show up and stake their spot around the room, eagerly looking for anyone else on their list to show up in the hopes they can trade and get out of there.

Minute 0 - 5: 2/3 of the rest of the people show up. Half stand in the room holding a sign with their user ID. The rest wander the room looking at said signs.

Minute 6: PeteVasi stands on a chair and welcomes everyone. He is largely ignored due to everyone looking for their trading buddies.

Minute 7-20: Most trades get done. Have you ever seen the floor of the NY stock exchange in the middle of trading? Something like that. Except for the 20 people waiting for the one person to show up. That one person. We're always waiting for that one person.

Minute 21: Said person shows up and gets mauled by a flood of people looking to trade their games.

Minute 22-45: 3 or 4 poor traders stare desperately at each other as they are all waiting for one person to receive games from or trade to. By minute 45 one of the lonely takes the others names and says they will try to get in contact with said person and tell them to contact everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha thanks guys.

Okay, so, about the trades, how do the trades work? Are you finding the one person who you are trading with, you give, and you take, with that one person? Or does the 'math' part mean that it's calculated among all the people, that you give something to one guy who will not give anything to you, but he gives to another guy, who gives to another guy, who gives to another guy, and eventually down the line, someone gives something to you?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Polioliolio wrote:
Haha thanks guys.

Okay, so, about the trades, how do the trades work? Are you finding the one person who you are trading with, you give, and you take, with that one person? Or does the 'math' part mean that it's calculated among all the people, that you give something to one guy who will not give anything to you, but he gives to another guy, who gives to another guy, who gives to another guy, and eventually down the line, someone gives something to you?

The second one.

Assume you’ll have list A of people you’re giving games to, and list B of people you’re receiving games from. On rare occasions (and usually by coincidence), some names may appear on both lists.

trevlix wrote:

This is 100% accurate.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pk2317 wrote:
Polioliolio wrote:
Haha thanks guys.

The second one.

Assume you’ll have list A of people you’re giving games to, and list B of people you’re receiving games from. On rare occasions (and usually by coincidence), some names may appear on both lists.

trevlix wrote:

This is 100% accurate.

Okay great, that clears things up. I need to take some pictures of my games, and I'll be posting them soon. Yahoo. Looking forward to my first trade.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Martin
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not 100% sure my 'outside the scope of BGG' items listed correctly. This year should be interstring!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Van De Sande
United States
Batavia
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry if this is answered elsewhere - If I'm interested in game A, but I don't care if it comes from person X, Y, or Z, how do I do that?

And if I'm positing I have $25 to trade - does the system know I have only one instance of that?

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heather Van De Sande
United States
Batavia
OH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're able to meet your party before Saturday, it's much simpler. I was able to do all my trades one-on-one last year before the Saturday event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stephenson
United States
Everett
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sterling_Archer wrote:
New to math trades and Abecorn. Think I have everything setup correctly but have a question. Once I select all the games I'm willing to trade for another game/s I clicked on "Summary" and confirmed. Is that all I need to do or is there something else I need to do to lock everything in for trade consideration? I also noticed the "Auto Complete" button. Wanted to check before clicking on that. I wasn't sure what the difference was between Auto Complete and confirming my selections in Summary. Thanks!

Yes, you setup everything correctly. Summary is just a text version of what you've setup to trade (sanity check). That's all you have to do, the system will take care of the rest when the timer runs out.

Auto Complete is for if you've assigned numeric values to your haves/wants. When you click the auto-complete button, it will have you confirm, then it will compare all of the assigned have/want trade values and fill in your matrix/graph accordingly. If you don't have values assigned, you're have blanks in your matrix for that entry.

Just to be clear for how the value assignments work, if you've assigned a Want1 = 5 and Want2 = 3 and Have1 = 4, Have2= 5, and Have3 = 6 then click/accept Auto Complete, the system will automatically assign Have1 and Have2 to trade for Want1 and nothing for Want2. This feature is useful when you start getting a giant have/wants list and go cross-eyed looking at your matrix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stephenson
United States
Everett
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pazuzu42 wrote:
Sorry if this is answered elsewhere - If I'm interested in game A, but I don't care if it comes from person X, Y, or Z, how do I do that?

And if I'm positing I have $25 to trade - does the system know I have only one instance of that?

Thanks.

If you want game A and only one copy of it from any one person, you'll want to duplicate protect it. To do that click the gray shield icon next to the game you only want one copy of. Hovering over the icon will also say "Duplicate Protect". *See the shield at the bottom half of the screen*

Yes, if you've manually posted a $25 listing, it knows you're only trading one copy of it. You can also use the automated cash listing by assigning individual cash entries to the games you want. That way you're not dependent on people seeing you're $25 listing, wanting it, and filling in their matrix for it. *See top half of image*

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stephenson
United States
Everett
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zorch wrote:
Not 100% sure my 'outside the scope of BGG' items listed correctly. This year should be interstring!

Yes, you set them up correctly, but you're no longer dependent on listing 'Outside of scope of BGG' for non-standard listings.

You can give them a specific universal description and tag them for filtering. Then when you click "Next" you can enter in condition information, specific to your listing description, and upload photos of your custom product. Using custom items, also allows you users to do specific searches for them based on the assigned name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathieu Martin
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Neat! That is a really handy system.

Bien wrote:
Zorch wrote:

Yes, you set them up correctly, but you're no longer dependent on listing 'Outside of scope of BGG' for non-standard listings.

You can give them a specific universal description and tag them for filtering. Then when you click "Next" you can enter in condition information, specific to your listing description, and upload photos of your custom product. Using custom items, also allows you users to do specific searches for them based on the assigned name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I need some help.

So I'm adding games, some of which include expansions.

If I'm trading something, like, Boss Monster 1+2 and some expansions as one item, what's the best way to list this?

I went ahead and made a custom item, but it seems like it could just be buried and not noticed.

Any recommendations?, I have a couple more games that are including expansions.

edit:

Also, how recommended is it to add a minimum dollar amount for trade, and an estimated value?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stephenson
United States
Everett
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Polioliolio wrote:
I think I need some help.

So I'm adding games, some of which include expansions.

If I'm trading something, like, Boss Monster 1+2 and some expansions as one item, what's the best way to list this?

I went ahead and made a custom item, but it seems like it could just be buried and not noticed.

Any recommendations?, I have a couple more games that are including expansions.

List the game as the primary Boss Monster game, then enter each expansion under the "Sweeteners" (it's a predictive search bar at the bottom of Add Item *see photo*). That way you maximize your listings trade value, the game gets lumped under the Boss Monster master listing, and all of the sweeteners are searchable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stephenson
United States
Everett
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Polioliolio wrote:
Also, how recommended is it to add a minimum dollar amount for trade, and an estimated value?

A min dollar amount is recommended if you are willing/wanting to sell your game. If you prefer trade only, don't assign a min dollar amount.

The estimated value is if you anticipate a lot of haves and wants. Your graph/matrix can get very large and require lots of clicking. If you put in a personal value for your haves/wants it's used for populating the "Auto Complete" graph/matrix function.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, I have about 10 things, and I guess I should add about the same number of wants? Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by anticipating a lot of haves and wants. For me or for people wanting an item I have? I don't really know about the graph/matrix yet.

Right now I've hearted a few things I want, and I've uploaded listings for the things I have. As for things I want, I see you can request a specific person's item, but I figured I'd have better chances by just doing a heart... or is it eventually necessary to pick a specific one?

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Polioliolio wrote:
So, I have about 10 things, and I guess I should add about the same number of wants? Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by anticipating a lot of haves and wants. For me or for people wanting an item I have? I don't really know about the graph/matrix yet.

Right now I've hearted a few things I want, and I've uploaded listings for the things I have. As for things I want, I see you can request a specific person's item, but I figured I'd have better chances by just doing a heart... or is it eventually necessary to pick a specific one?

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

You can "want" every single thing on there. You won't be able to *get* more than the number of items you put in, because each trade is (ultimately) 1-to-1.

Let's say I have a $5 game (A), a $20 game (B), and a $50 game (C). Let's say that I want 5 different games that are around $5-15 (group X), 5 games around $20-40 (group Y), and 5 games from $50-100 (group Z). So 3 games I'm offering, and 15 games that I want.

I would go through and say that I "want" every game from groups X, Y, and Z. I would offer game A for all of these (hey, you never know, someone might randomly want my $5 game and give me a $100 game for it!). I would offer game B for every game in groups Y and Z. And game C I would offer for everything in group Z.

Ultimately, I will probably end up getting one game in group Z for game C, one game in group Y for game B, and one game in group X for game A. Or maybe no one will want my game B and I'll just get one of the "good" games for my game C and one of the "cheap" games for my game A. But maybe the trade gods will be in my favor and all three of my games will trade for something in my group Z.

Again, if I'm only offering 3 games, I won't possibly get more than 3 games (and potentially less if one or more of my games doesn't trade).

Your matrix will look something like this. Remember that values are very subjective. Maybe I think game Z1 is $70, but that person only values it at $50, and they think my game C is worth $60. So from my perspective, I'm trading my $50 game for a $70 and getting a great deal, and he's trading a $50 game for a $60 game and also getting a good deal.

C B A
$50 $20 $5

Game Z1 ($70) X X X
Game Z2 ($65) X X X
Game Z3 ($60) X X X
Game Z4 ($55) X X X
Game Z5 ($50) X X X
Game Y1 ($40) X X
Game Y2 ($35) X X
Game Y3 ($30) X X
Game Y4 ($25) X X
Game Y5 ($20) X X
Game X1 ($15) X
Game X2 ($13) X
Game X3 ($10) X
Game X4 ($8) X
Game X5 ($5) X

Then after the trade, your results may be:

You give game A to Mary and get game X4 from Bob.
You give game C to Fred and get game Z1 from Sue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6  Next »  [26] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.