Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
657 Posts
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [27] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades

Subject: Origins 2019 No Ship Math Trade (Columbus, OH: June 15) - Complete! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nate
United States
Dayton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Origins 2019 No Ship Math Trade (Columbus, OH: June 15) - Open for submissions!
I have another question for all of you trade veterans out there. If the situation arises where someone has offered money equal to or greater than the minimum value I set for the game but that same game is also able to be traded for a game a have on my want list, which one takes precedence? I'd prefer to just trade for games 1:1, but if that's not possible I'm fine with selling. Do I get to choose or does the algorithm just do its best to match it and I have no say once I set my values and trade lists? Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicole Y
msg tools
mb
Re: Origins 2019 No Ship Math Trade (Columbus, OH: June 15) - Open for submissions!
Sterling_Archer wrote:
I have another question for all of you trade veterans out there. If the situation arises where someone has offered money equal to or greater than the minimum value I set for the game but that same game is also able to be traded for a game a have on my want list, which one takes precedence? I'd prefer to just trade for games 1:1, but if that's not possible I'm fine with selling. Do I get to choose or does the algorithm just do its best to match it and I have no say once I set my values and trade lists? Thanks!

Related question to this: how do cash offers work with duplicate protection?

There are two copies of game x available for trade. I really only want one copy of game x,but am willing to offer different cash offers for each one. (Maybe copy 1 is in better condition, includes an expansion, etc.) Is there a way to set a different value for each one AND have it duplicate protected? When I started duplicate protecting my list, it seemed to erase the values I had entered and I had to redo it, but it looked like I could only set one value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm.. my head is spinning.

What's the deal with the Queue? Right now my queue has a bunch of items in it, and I can click the + 'I want this'. There are multiple listings for some of the games. I can also dismiss them.

Is it required to deal with these? If I say 'I want this' I don't understand what that will mean. Does that mean I'm initiating a direct trade? Does it mean I want that specific one, and if so, does that pull me out of the running for other copies if it turns out I can't get this one? Or does it mean that I can now add that into my graph and try to get it via the clicking of the boxes part? Is this why I don't have anything on my matrix? Because I haven't actually done anything with the Queue? My matrix is empty other than boxes for the games that I'm offering.

Hm, in short, I'm not really picky. I just want to get rid of some games and I'm open to get some other games. Does the Queue need to be addressed before I can do anything in the matrix?

Thanks again.

edit: Okay, tried one 'i want this' + buttons, and it seems to be just for cash offers. So I guess I just need to wait until my matrix becomes active?

edit2: Something happened! Okay, so even if you fill nothing out in the cash field, the item is added to your graph. Hm... I need to read up on this shield again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pk2317 wrote:
Polioliolio wrote:
So, I have about 10 things, and I guess I should add about the same number of wants? Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by anticipating a lot of haves and wants. For me or for people wanting an item I have? I don't really know about the graph/matrix yet.

Right now I've hearted a few things I want, and I've uploaded listings for the things I have. As for things I want, I see you can request a specific person's item, but I figured I'd have better chances by just doing a heart... or is it eventually necessary to pick a specific one?

Thanks for your help and suggestions.

You can "want" every single thing on there. You won't be able to *get* more than the number of items you put in, because each trade is (ultimately) 1-to-1.

Let's say I have a $5 game (A), a $20 game (B), and a $50 game (C). Let's say that I want 5 different games that are around $5-15 (group X), 5 games around $20-40 (group Y), and 5 games from $50-100 (group Z). So 3 games I'm offering, and 15 games that I want.

I would go through and say that I "want" every game from groups X, Y, and Z. I would offer game A for all of these (hey, you never know, someone might randomly want my $5 game and give me a $100 game for it!). I would offer game B for every game in groups Y and Z. And game C I would offer for everything in group Z.

Ultimately, I will probably end up getting one game in group Z for game C, one game in group Y for game B, and one game in group X for game A. Or maybe no one will want my game B and I'll just get one of the "good" games for my game C and one of the "cheap" games for my game A. But maybe the trade gods will be in my favor and all three of my games will trade for something in my group Z.

Again, if I'm only offering 3 games, I won't possibly get more than 3 games (and potentially less if one or more of my games doesn't trade).

Your matrix will look something like this. Remember that values are very subjective. Maybe I think game Z1 is $70, but that person only values it at $50, and they think my game C is worth $60. So from my perspective, I'm trading my $50 game for a $70 and getting a great deal, and he's trading a $50 game for a $60 game and also getting a good deal.

C B A
$50 $20 $5

Game Z1 ($70) X X X
Game Z2 ($65) X X X
Game Z3 ($60) X X X
Game Z4 ($55) X X X
Game Z5 ($50) X X X
Game Y1 ($40) X X
Game Y2 ($35) X X
Game Y3 ($30) X X
Game Y4 ($25) X X
Game Y5 ($20) X X
Game X1 ($15) X
Game X2 ($13) X
Game X3 ($10) X
Game X4 ($8) X
Game X5 ($5) X

Then after the trade, your results may be:

You give game A to Mary and get game X4 from Bob.
You give game C to Fred and get game Z1 from Sue.

Okay, I'm picking some things up from this, thank you. I've managed to duplicate all the like offers of which I only want one of those things, and I've appropriately checked what I want, and what I'm willing to give for it. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stephenson
United States
Everett
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sterling_Archer wrote:
...If the situation arises where someone has offered money equal to or greater than the minimum value I set for the game but that same game is also able to be traded for a game a have on my want list, which one takes precedence?... Do I get to choose or does the algorithm just do its best to match it and I have no say once I set my values and trade lists? Thanks!

The algorithm is looking to create the largest number of trades, for it's calculations there are no differences between a cash offer or a game offer.

Once you set your trade list, make sure you'd be happy with any possible outcome you've selected. Generally, a higher valued thing will trade for a lower valued thing if you've selected it. For example if you offer to trade your $50 game for a $35 game but you also ask for $45 for your game, you'll more likely get the $35 game in trade instead of the $45.

NekahRae wrote:
Related question to this: how do cash offers work with duplicate protection?

There are two copies of game x available for trade. I really only want one copy of game x,but am willing to offer different cash offers for each one. (Maybe copy 1 is in better condition, includes an expansion, etc.) Is there a way to set a different value for each one AND have it duplicate protected? When I started duplicate protecting my list, it seemed to erase the values I had entered and I had to redo it, but it looked like I could only set one value.

Once you create a duplicate protected item, the system considers it a new thing. Since you may have had different value/cash offers on the games you duplicate protected, the system requires you put in a new value/cash entry for the newly created DP item. If you delete the duplicate protected entry later, the games that made it up will reappear in your matrix with the old individual values assigned to it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Boss

Laurel
Maryland
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, it looks like part of the consolidated view grouping games together, is that games only show up when the first copy is added to the trade (in the recent or chronological views). Is there a way to filter so that they show up last edited? Or last copy of game added?

Maybe not a huge deal, but I am used to going through all new games added (in case a particular copy of a game has sweeteners, or whatever) -- and at this point, if I haven't 'hearted' a game, it looks like I won't see new copies of it as they are added.. is there something I'm missing?

Should I just be far more liberal with the heart button?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stephenson
United States
Everett
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
djboss wrote:
So, it looks like part of the consolidated view grouping games together, is that games only show up when the first copy is added to the trade (in the recent or chronological views). Is there a way to filter so that they show up last edited? Or last copy of game added?

Maybe not a huge deal, but I am used to going through all new games added (in case a particular copy of a game has sweeteners, or whatever) -- and at this point, if I haven't 'hearted' a game, it looks like I won't see new copies of it as they are added.. is there something I'm missing?

Should I just be far more liberal with the heart button?

We added the "New" label back to games that have been listed since the last time you logged on. However, it would be best to be more liberal with using the heart button. If you think you might be even moderately interested in a game, heart the game and all future added games will be added to your queue (under make trades). That way you won't risk ever missing a new game getting added rather than search the list manually.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Norton
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ben,

I've got a question. I have been hitting the plus sign symbol and not hitting the heart on games I want. Mostly because my want list isn't up to date. I've just been mining the Browse for games I want and adding them that way. Without a game "heart'd" is there any interaction there that will have unsavory results (ie, screw up my trade)?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stephenson
United States
Everett
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nathertater wrote:
Ben,

I've got a question. I have been hitting the plus sign symbol and not hitting the heart on games I want. Mostly because my want list isn't up to date. I've just been mining the Browse for games I want and adding them that way. Without a game "heart'd" is there any interaction there that will have unsavory results (ie, screw up my trade)?

Hitting the green plus symbol will also want (heart) the game you've added to your graph/matrix.

The system is dynamic, so if your BGG list isn't up to date, abecorn will still keep track of your have/wants details beyond the end of the trade.

Think of the heart as just a flag to tell the system you want it to pay attention and show you those games. It won't affect results.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So the more things I put on my want list, as long as I check appropriately, the more likely I'll be able to get rid of my offerings yes? So the more boxes checked, the better, really, as long as at least one person wants it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul K.
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Polioliolio wrote:
So the more things I put on my want list, as long as I check appropriately, the more likely I'll be able to get rid of my offerings yes? So the more boxes checked, the better, really, as long as at least one person wants it.

Correct. Another thing to keep in mind is how “tight” or “loose” you want to be with your trades. If you only select things that you really really want and value higher than your item, you’re more likely to be happy with what you get, but you’re also more likely to not make a trade at all. Whereas if you are more “loose” with your wants and include more things (maybe with equal or even slightly lower “value”), you might get something that you’re just “meh” about, but you’re much more likely to actually make a trade at all.

So it depends on which you value more: getting rid of stuff, or getting something “better”.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So now, as far as the auto math trade part goes (not direct trades), that happens at the end right? I'm not going to be signing off on anything for this kind of trade right? I just set up my graph and at the end the computer will do the rest yes?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stephenson
United States
Everett
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Polioliolio wrote:

You can see how many people want your game. You won't be able to see who/what though until the end of the trade.

Polioliolio wrote:
So now, as far as the auto math trade part goes (not direct trades), that happens at the end right? I'm not going to be signing off on anything for this kind of trade right? I just set up my graph and at the end the computer will do the rest yes?

The timer runs out, the trade gets processed, the results spit out, geekmails get automatically sent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aah, okay, thank you!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
Bien wrote:
Polioliolio wrote:

You can see how many people want your game. You won't be able to see who/what though until the end of the trade.

Polioliolio wrote:

The timer runs out, the trade gets processed, the results spit out, geekmails get automatically sent.

Thanks for hanging around here and answering questions. This is the first abecorn trade for a lot of people here, or it's the first one in a long time for people like myself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sterling_Archer wrote:
New to math trades and Abecorn. Think I have everything setup correctly but have a question. Once I select all the games I'm willing to trade for another game/s I clicked on "Summary" and confirmed. Is that all I need to do or is there something else I need to do to lock everything in for trade consideration? I also noticed the "Auto Complete" button. Wanted to check before clicking on that. I wasn't sure what the difference was between Auto Complete and confirming my selections in Summary. Thanks!

This will be the third math trade I have participated in and the fourth math trade meetup I have attended. The very first math trade meetup I attended I was actually just picking up an auction purchase, so I only had my cash and the phone number & username of the person I was picking up the game from.

I walked into the math trade area and it was a scene of chaos. There were hundreds of people milling around, some carrying signs, some just carrying games and I had no idea what the person I was looking for looked like or exactly what time he was showing up beyond "At the math trade meetup". I eventually managed to get some cell service, called him, and we used landmarks in the hallway to meet up and finish the transaction.

Since that experience I have taken to being much more organized going into the math trade. The last few math trades multiple of my items have traded, and for each item you have traded you need to find 2 people. So 3 items traded suddenly means finding 6 people in a crowded room.

I usually prepare for the math trade in the following way:

During Math Trade Offers // Trading
I try to list on my trades if I have any restrictions for when I am going to be at the convention (Ex: I am only going to be there on Saturday this year).
I also try to pay attention to if the items I am 'wanting' have any date // time restrictions listed on them (Ex: The person is only going to be there on Sunday)

After Math Trade does its magic & I (hopefully) have trades
I send a Board Game Geek PM to each person I am paired with sending them the following information:
1. My name & phone number
2. Confirmation that I am going to be at the math trade meetup
3. Request for confirmation that they will be at the math trade meetup
4. Request for their phone number

I also send the people I am giving games too a BGG trade proposal so we both get BGG trade feedback.

Before heading to the convention
I make a checklist that has the list of people I need to meet up with. The list includes their their phone numbers, where I was planning on meeting them, and what game I am receiving or giving. As I complete trades I cross people off the list.

I make a large(ish) sign that at the top in large bold letters has my BoardGameGeek username and under it has a table of the usernames I am looking for and the games I am looking for // giving them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am BGG User: Ryodoan
My real name is: Paul

Looking for <Username> Looking for <Username>
- I have <Game1> for you - I am receiving <Game2>

Looking for <Username> Looking for <Username>
- I have <Game3> for you - I am receiving <Game4>

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Again, as I complete trades I use a sharpy to cross people off my sign.

Convention Meetup Day
I try to get their early, and I try to con my wife into coming with me. As I arrive I walk past the other people that are already there checking to see if I have any matches, then stake off a spot and watch for people arriving that I can trade with.

I chat with my neighbors then while we wait for our trade partners to arrive.

About 15 minutes into the trade meetup I will check with my neighbor to see if they will watch my games. I then walk around the meetup area to see if I missed anyone arriving. If I managed to con my wife to coming with me, we trade off staying with the games & walking around. After I walk around I will offer the other my neighbor the chance to walk around while I watch their stuff.

After it is clear the crowd is starting to thin out I start texting people to try and figure out where people are in the crowd.

So far I have been rather lucky and managed to wrap up all my trades in about 20-30 minutes at the meetups.

After the convention
I wrap up filling out BGG trades & give trade feedback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay. Maybe I am just being dense here, but is there anyway to comment / ask questions publicly about an item on Abecorn?

I see a couple games listed with no version, language, or condition information that I MIGHT be interested in based on the details of those three things.

It's just my stance, but if you leave this info blank, your games aren't going on my want list.

Which is also deviating from the trade rules:

Quote:
Submission Format

All listed items must include the following information so it is clearly defined what is being traded:

Condition: This should be described as accurately as possible. If games are not in shrink, please inventory to ensure all pieces are there or list out which ones are missing. Do not assume all pieces are there!
Version: The language and edition and/or publisher of the game
(Optional) Comments: Any misc comments on it.
(Optional) Sweetener: Any extra games/promos/items that are bundled with this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean Peterson

Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JBMoby wrote:
Okay. Maybe I am just being dense here, but is there anyway to comment / ask questions publicly about an item on Abecorn?

I see a couple games listed with no version, language, or condition information that I MIGHT be interested in based on the details of those three things.

It's just my stance, but if you leave this info blank, your games aren't going on my want list.

Quote:
Submission Format

All listed items must include the following information so it is clearly defined what is being traded:

Condition: This should be described as accurately as possible. If games are not in shrink, please inventory to ensure all pieces are there or list out which ones are missing. Do not assume all pieces are there!
(Optional) Sweetener: Any extra games/promos/items that are bundled with this game.

Click on a game in the search results. You will see all the available options for that game. At the very bottom you will see a link "Start Discussion". Click that. When replying, call out the person specifically that has the item you want using @<username>. We are still working on improving this feature. After combining items into one listing, we combined comments for all listings of a specific title too. Hence, the need to use the @ symbol in your reply to get a specific user's attention. If there is only one person that has a game, you don't necessarily have to use the @ symbol combined with the username, but it won't hurt either.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
depeters wrote:
JBMoby wrote:

Quote:
Submission Format

Click on a game in the search results. You will see all the available options for that game. At the very bottom you will see a link "Start Discussion". Click that. When replying, call out the person specifically that has the item you want using @<username>. We are still working on improving this feature. After combining items into one listing, we combined comments for all listings of a specific title too. Hence, the need to use the @ symbol in your reply to get a specific user's attention. If there is only one person that has a game, you don't necessarily have to use the @ symbol combined with the username, but it won't hurt either.

Okay. It's strange this isn't accessible on the specific page for a specific listing (like from the queue) since the heart system seems to be there to let you skip going through the search/browse and cut to the games you want and they are listed individually, not in a group.

So if something shows up in my queue I have a question about, I have to back out to browse, search, open tab of item options, open discussion tab, go back to item options window, copy item owner's user name, tab back over discussion tab, paste, write, post.

Hopefully this can get tightened up at some point so that the discussion / posting can be contained on the general item page (if not on the specific item page for the individual listing that you get linked to from the queue).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Dayton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever I click on Trade Summary I see the games I am offering and then all the games I'm willing to trade my game for under it. The games I'm willing to trade for all have numbers by them. This may be a dumb question, but what do those numbers signify?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Am I the only one who watches this and thinks "no ship math trade"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Liolio
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sterling_Archer wrote:
Whenever I click on Trade Summary I see the games I am offering and then all the games I'm willing to trade my game for under it. The games I'm willing to trade for all have numbers by them. This may be a dumb question, but what do those numbers signify?

I think that means that there are that many people currently interested in the game you're trading.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate
United States
Dayton
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Polioliolio wrote:
Sterling_Archer wrote:

I think that means that there are that many people currently interested in the game you're trading.

This may something different - maybe the number of times that game has been selected for potential trade, although the numbers I'm seeing seem kind of high for that.

When you go to the "Make Trades" tab, under "Queue" or "Graph and Trade Matrix" you can click on the "Summary" button. When you do so it lists all the games you are willing to trade and then underneath of them all the games you are willing to receive for that particular game. The games I'm willing to receive all have numbers by them. The numbers seem to coincide with the values I'm willing to sell my games for (I did not enter a value to assist with trade, only a value for what I will sell them for). Just trying to figure out exactly how those numbers next to the games are being derived/work. For example, it will say:

Willing to trade Game A for:
You have entered a minimimum dollar value and will accept any dollar amount equal or more than: $25.0 for this item.
18. Game XYZ
46. Game ABC
107. Game JKL

What do the numbers 18, 46, and 107 signify? Before I entered sell values for my games I believe the numbers were just 1, 2, and 3 for all the games I wanted in trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stephenson
United States
Everett
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sterling_Archer wrote:
When you go to the "Make Trades" tab, under "Queue" or "Graph and Trade Matrix" you can click on the "Summary" button. When you do so it lists all the games you are willing to trade and then underneath of them all the games you are willing to receive for that particular game. The games I'm willing to receive all have numbers by them. The numbers seem to coincide with the values I'm willing to sell my games for (I did not enter a value to assist with trade, only a value for what I will sell them for). Just trying to figure out exactly how those numbers next to the games are being derived/work. For example, it will say:

Willing to trade Game A for:
You have entered a minimimum dollar value and will accept any dollar amount equal or more than: $25.0 for this item.
18. Game XYZ
46. Game ABC
107. Game JKL

What do the numbers 18, 46, and 107 signify? Before I entered sell values for my games I believe the numbers were just 1, 2, and 3 for all the games I wanted in trade.

It should list in chronological order. It is purely a visual bug, the numbering system got out of wack when we switched over to the consolidated game listings. I've put it on the to-do list to fix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noreen
United States
flag msg tools
Fall in the Midwest
badge
Welcome to fall in the Midwest and a property with a lot of mature trees!
mbmbmbmbmb
So according to the rules, I can post non-game items. How would I handle that through the marketplace, since the item field looks for the item in BGG? I’d like to trade/cash offer a book.

Thanks!

Noreen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
[1]  Prev «  3 , 4 , 5 , 6 , 7  Next »  [27] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.