Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » United States » West

Subject: OPTTACON 2019: Sequim, Washington August 16th and 17th rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jeff Tingelstad
msg tools
I am helping to organize our 2nd tabletop boardgame, RPG, CCG gaming convention in Sequim this summer. We just launched our kickstarter
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/opttacon/opttacon-2019

We will have a number of games to win in our play-to-win library. Also feel free to bring your own games. There will also be multiple vendors selling art, games, etc. Last year we filled up the convention center and had about 160 people show up. We also gave away close to 100 games. Looking forward to be able to do the same this year.

If you have any questions please ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Richards
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Too bad this is the same weekend as Dragonflight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Tingelstad
msg tools
August is a crazy month. Will work on scheduling for a better time next year. I wanted to schedule first weekend in August (gencant) just didn't work out this year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
This is one of my potential retirement ideas so I'm curious how the con went? Also is there a weekly/monthly gaming scene in Sequim?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Richards
United States
Ellensburg
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmb
Sequim is a great small Washington community. Although I do not live in that part of the state, I have two close friends that do. They started a weekly (maybe bi-weekly) board game group that meets at the library and they were involved in the 1st OptaCon last year. I helped fund last years convention even though I was unable to attend and would have gone this year, but I was already set to attend Dragonflight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank B
United States
Eagan
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnb4bgg wrote:
This is one of my potential retirement ideas so I'm curious how the con went? Also is there a weekly/monthly gaming scene in Sequim?

The con went very well, I think (I was an attendee, not one of the organizers). Last year apparently had a larger turnout, but this was a busy weekend with a big con in Seattle and a couple other things going on in town.

The wife and I are also new here (moved from Minnesota about two months ago) and have been happy to meet some really friendly, active gamers out here. There is a weekly public game meet in Sequim (well, almost weekly; one is skipped now and then) with a consistently good turnout. There are two decent (for the size of the area) game shops in Port Angeles, and another shop in Port Townsend that I believe has a weekly BG meetup (though I haven't been to that, as it is on the same day as Sequim currently is).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Britten
msg tools
Wow - I should really do better about keeping up with things! Andy is the one who pointed this thread out to me - so thank you Andy! Also thank you Frank and Jeff for adding in information about gaming in Sequim!

Yes, I am one of the founders of Meeples of Sequim and helped Jeff out last year with OPTTACON. I would say that there is a good number of gamers out this way, but our group seems to be one of the bigger (and more consistent) groups in the area. We have been almost weekly for the last two years (missing only a week here and there for holidays or vacation), but we may be cancelling our second Wednesday of the month due to not having the public library's meeting room.

In the past we also held a game day on the third Saturday of each month, but our turnout at this event was low (sometimes only one or two people other than my wife and I). So, this too may be getting cancelled.

But, we do have a good showing - as high as 21 people, but consistently 14 or more. We have typically brought in the majority of games played, but with recent additions like Frank and a couple others, more games are being brought in and it's not just my wife and I teaching. (This is a huge help, by the way!)

Anyway, you can find more on the Meeples of Sequim Facebook page. I try and keep a three-month schedule up as well as making weekly game events with a list of games that will be available. We always enjoy seeing new faces!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John B
United States
Mountain view
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks to all with informative replies. Looking forward to visiting if it finally makes the short list.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls