Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good morning, Pegheads!

I'm currently sitting in my office waiting for a new game delivery (Die Tavernen im Tiefen Thal to be specific). I'm refreshing the delivery company's webpage parcel tracking, which shows me how close the delivery driver is to my office. It's like a game in itself, which is push-your-luck as to how long it'll be before they're here, and will they get here before the end of the working day! Gah!

That's an aside though. We've done some top 10 lists of recent in these weekly posts. And I'm enjoying all the lists of great games! But now comes for the other end of the spectrum. Do you have a list of the bottom 5 games you own? Not your "most hated" games ever necessarily, as I'm guessing you probably don't own them. But what games from your collections are what you would consider a "bottom 5" (or 10 if you want)? And why are they still in your collection? And what would make you sell / trade them on?

But arguably more importantly, because it's what the pegheads really want to know, is: What are you playing this week?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very quick update: Just as I hit the "Submit" button on the thread, my game arrived! Woohoo! So much for "your driver is 12 stops away from you"!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
And now to answer my own question.

My "Bottom 5" games *that I own*:
d10-1 Shave a Sheep - As a LEGO game goes, it's not too bad. But it's not really that interesting either, and the dice roll means there's very little strategic decisions to be made. I keep it because my kids enjoyed it when they were younger. They've not played it in probably 2+ years now, so it might well leave the collection soon...

d10-2 Musical Dominoes - My wife bought them for me as a birthday present one year, as she thought they looked fun. And they're clever - the numbers on each domino are made up of notes & rests - but they're a bit of a pain too, as you can't just glance at what you have and what's been played and go "ah, that fits nicely"; you're having to re-add-up all the note/rest values every time. So: Clever, but hard to play. I keep it mainly for sentimental value.

d10-3 The Power Game - I picked this up in a charity shop for a whole 99p. It's a pretty simple 2-player abstract about placing cogs, and once both players' coloured cogs connect together, the player who placed the connecting cog gets to turn their master cog and see if it moves their opponent's master cog in the correct direction. The game is basically "who will mess up first". I keep it only because it's really small and slots nicely on the shelf.

d10-4 Princess - A very simple kids' co-op. Technically I guess this is the kids' game, not mine, but it takes up game shelf space, so I count it. It's meant to encourage story telling, which it does the first couple of plays, but after that you can easily sway the story to get a win every time. Kept mainly because the kids like to pull it out once in a while.

d10-5 The Golden Compass DVD Adventure Board Game - It's a DVD-driven boardgame. Not much more you need to know! But incase you do: the game is ok, though rather repetitive, but is entirely co-op until the very last part, where there's a stupid pointless "oh, we should probably decide a winner" mechanic which is entirely a memory sub-game unrelated to the whole of the rest of the game. So you all work together as Lyra or her Daemon or one of the other kids' Daemons, to beat Mrs Coultier, and then have to do a memory game to decide who "wins". Great storytelling there - work together, then whoever has the best memory wins. Stupid! I keep it because it cost me 99p in an OFLGS sale, it comes in a nice tin with a REALLY nice insert which has moulded parts for all the components, and I used the 3 minis it comes with as player pawns for playtesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Habel
United States
Butler
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
So I'm in the middle of another Legacy Week. Not sure why, but all my legacy game plays tend to clump up. Just played Pandemic Legacy S2 yesterday. We lost the second attempt at April, and it's the first time we completely lost a month across both campaigns. Probably because we won January through March on our first tries.

Thursday we're playing Mysterium at our local FLGS (Highlander Games in Boonton, NJ. Maybe you've heard of it.). This week's bake is a apple cider layer cake with marshmallow buttercream frosting. Yes, I bake something for every week's game night, these days entirely from Stella Parks's Bravetart.

Back to the campaign games for the weekend. We're close to the end of Seafall and we're trying to figure out how to wrap the campaign up. Then Sunday we're starting up Rise of Queensdale finally, since I was waiting until we finished the Near and Far campaign.

As for my bottom five, that's easy: Burn in Hell, Loaded Questions Adult, Fluxx, Chez Geek, and several versions of Munchkin. The reason I still have them is simple: I never get rid of anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mohamad Sobh
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Looking forward to hearing what you think about it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bottom 5 games (I currently own):
5. Pixel Tactics 4: This is a newer game we got to try out and after a few plays I'm still not sure about it. There's a gamer garage sale this weekend and this one is on the maybe pile.
4. Oh My Goods!: Definitely a good game! I guess I just like a lot of other games better.
3. The Climbers: It's a little too cutthroat to play with just anyone and just doesn't come out with the heavier gamers very much. It also only really plays well with 4 or 5.
2. Codenames: I prefer the Duet version and play it more. I hold onto this one for the few large-group games I get in when it is a blast.
1. Fuji Flush: Not a stellar game design, but it's stupid fun and perfect for downtime with just about anyone.

We have a gaming day with our group scheduled for Sunday and this weekend is a gamer garage sale, so potentially lots of gaming this weekend coming up. I predict Escape Plan will be the new hotness people want to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Hickman
United States
St. Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Unplugged since... 2016
mbmbmbmbmb
Bottom 5 Games that I own?

Pretty easy I think.

Pass the Pigs
Monopoly
Sorry
The Game of Life
Aggravation

This week we are looking to play Underwater Cities, Brass: Lancashire, Root and Notre Dame!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bottom games I own (in alphabetical order ):

1 Abyss: Played once and it was alright. Beautiful artwork, but I wish the game was as good as the art. Never had the urge to play again.

2 Dragon Island: Got this for like $9 or $10 when FunAgain did their warehouse closure blowout. Have had no reason or desire to learn it.

3 Geek Out!: A party game (strike one, for me), with topics my family aren't very knowledgeable about (strike two), and a game my regular group wouldn't want to play (strike three).

4 Immortals: I was super interested in Shogun as well as that cool, gimmicky cube tower. This reimplementation has a cool theme but the reviews are not very good and I understand the rulebook is really bad.

5 Tobruk: Tank Battles in North Africa 1942: A game I always asked my Dad to play when I was little. He always said it was too complicated. He gave it to me as an adult for sentimental reasons, but I don't know if the 8,000,000 chits are even in it and I have no desire to play this extra crusty war game.

1-4 (and several other games) were at a board game garage sale this weekend. I'll find out tomorrow how many sold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Schippa
United States
Sun Prairie
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kind of a slow week as I have a few items on this weeks Common Council agenda...which falls on game night cry. Did manage to sneak in a game of The Fox in the Forest with my wife. Before starting she stated that she doesn't really like card games and isn't that good at them...she won 24 to 5. Uh huh. shake

Bottom 5 games in our collection (I don't dislike any of them, they all are good, just not special for me)
5. Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective: The Thames Murders & Other Cases - I like what the game was going for, and I even like the 'experience' of the game. But was burned by too many times by visiting someone being certain we'd get a particular bit of information only to hit a odd dead end. Then, the end of the game is where all the fun comes crashing down and you end up in a sad pit of self loathing.

4. Viticulture Essential Edition - Not a bad game, but also not a particularly engaging game. A little too solitaire, and feels like it's missing that one hook. Wouldn't mind replacing this with Agricola.

3. Sheriff of Nottingham - An enjoyable game that can have it's moments...but for the experience it offers, I wish it would take half the time. One go around the table seems a bit too short; two turns around the table feels like two trips around the sun.

2. Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Card Game - Maybe unfair to say as we've only played this at two players...but I think i'd rather just draw cards and tell a story than try to make a game up about telling a story. Felt a little forced.

1. Paperback - We own Hardback, I much prefer Hardback as (to me) it fixes all the issues with paperback. In paperback there's not much deckbuilding that goes on, you just kind of randomly grab letters into your deck and hope you can spell words. Hardback fixes that by adding in the genre mechanic and allows you to flip any card into a wild letter for no bonuses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Following a fairly gameless week (21-27 Apr), Ping visited this weekend, staying with me until this morning. We had a chance to play two games of Glass Road on Sunday night (with each of us winning a game), and upon my return home from work yesterday, before heading out to dinner with friends, another two games of Glass Road (splitting the wins, once again). After dinner, we returned home and played Wingspan...with Ping winning with a commanding score of 65 to 55.

As for the rest of this week, tonight is D&D 5th Ed., DM'd by my friend in the panhandle of FL; tomorrow, I'm hosting a small gathering of a few friends for dinner and gaming; and Thursday, I'll host my weekly Game Night, which has grown in the recent months. This week, among the titles, I'll have Stellar Leap, Coimbra, and Game of Thrones 2nd Ed.

The question you raised is quite interesting, as I keep a fairly small collection (<100 titles), but admittedly there are some that date back a number of years, and I keep them really out of nostalgia more than anything else, as they're not going to come out at Game Night, but something my family might play when visiting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Started the week off with an impromptu game night, playing Mottainai, Notre Dame, and Lords of Waterdeep. Won zero of them, but had a great time!

Played a solo game of Reykholt (won with 11 points) and tried out a game from my shelf of shame, PENTAGO, only to discover that this game was never added to my shelf of shame. So I didn't reduce my unplayed list because the game was never on it. ARGH. Going to add it and mark it played immediately.

Missing my usual game night tonight for my daughter's band concert.

As to Nick's question, it's difficult. There's some dreck in there, for sure.

In no particular order:

thumbsdown Zombie-opoly - A Monopoly clone with a zombie theme. I study zombies so I've kept this partly out of a desire to keep lots of zombie-themed things, and partly because a family member gave it to me during the period where the family figured out I was into board games but before they figured out they shouldn't try to buy them for me.

thumbsdown Shark Island - Theme carries this game very far for me. It has little yellow barrels. It's not good. But it's goofy as hell.

thumbsdown Marrying Mr. Darcy - I hold on to this game as a reminder of how theme can carry you really far. It's an interesting theme and the first three quarters of the game are pretty fun, but the end is literally a die roll (which may be thematic, perhaps) and there's almost nothing you can do to mitigate it.

thumbsdown Once Upon a Time: The Storytelling Game - A good example, for me, of a game with a fundamental error in its premise. It's a storytelling game, a game about weaving a fairy tale. But instead of being cooperative, where you WANT to build off one another, it has a competitive element where you are trying to get rid of your cards. It completely undermines the interesting storytelling part of the game if you try to win, but the mechanisms and instructions tell you to try and win.

thumbsdown Tower of the Wizard King This is a huge box game that looks neat on my shelf, but it isn't very interesting AND the eponymous gizmo at the center of the game (both from gameplay and attractiveness) is broken, so we have to stick our fingers in to make the tower rotate. Oh well, I keep it around because the box looks cool.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
To figure out my answer to this question, I used the collection-filtering tools here on BGG. I still have many games in my collection that I have not rated, so those were not part of my decision process, but if I haven't rated a game yet it probably means I don't feel like I've played it enough to form a solid opinion.

I learned something interesting--my lowest rated game is at 4.75, and all the other games on this list I rated exactly 5. But many of these were rated back in 2015 and I've probably changed the way I rate games since then... I probably need to re-evaluate many of these. Still, this helped me come to a list for this question fairly quickly.

5. Monopoly

Believe it or not, I'd rather play Monopoly than any of the other four on this list. Now, I own four different sets and have sort of lumped them all under the original for purposes of this list... when I play it, it's probably going to either be my Lord of the Rings edition (which Rob Daviau had a hand in designing) or the Star Wars edition.

4. Catan Dice Game

I bought this for my wife, and played it once or twice. It's kind of boring. She still enjoys it occasionally as a solo game, but never asks to play it with any one else... it mostly collects dust.

3. Carcassonne: The Dice Game

I also bought this for Amy... she does typically enjoy dice games quite a lot... but this one was just "mark of meh" all the way. We might have played it twice? Another dust-collector.

2. Skip-Bo

Do I detect a theme? The only reason this game is still in our collection is my wife's nostalgic fondness for it. She played this a lot as a child, and it was one of the first games we played together in college when we were dating. The boys always groan when she pulls it out and wants to play, but we humor her. It's usually over pretty quickly.

1. Faux-Cabulary

Amy picked this up, either at a garage sale or a thrift store. I think it cost her less than a dollar, but it's still probably more than she should have paid for it. This was a one-and-done, and the only reason it's still in the collection is that we haven't had a yard sale in a while. It's probably either going to wind up back at the thrift store or in a landfill.

Had a good "Chudyk Night" last night at the comic store. Played a 3-player game of Impulse followed by a five-player session of Glory to Rome. Next gaming will probably be Friday night, since we have tickets to see Endgame on Thursday and that's going to be the whole evening. Will report back, spoiler free, this weekend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So, from my list of games above, Abyss and Dragon Island sold at the board game garage sale, as well as Munchkin Pathfinder and Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition). Since it was store credit, I turned those into Troyes and Arkham Horror (Third Edition).

Saturday, I am going to have my daughter over and 1-2 more friends and we'll bust out my new copy of Arkham Horror (Third Edition). If there is enough time, I am going to also teach/play Discoveries: The Journals of Lewis and Clark. Looks like a fun dice manipulation game that will be a good cool down, and it will come off my unplayed list!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
voodoochyl wrote:
If there is enough time, I am going to also teach/play Discoveries: The Journals of Lewis and Clark. Looks like a fun dice manipulation game that will be a good cool down, and it will come off my unplayed list!

I really like Discoveries. Note: It's worth playing a few practice hands first (at least by yourself in prep for teaching) as the way dice are used isn't immediately logical. (Once you get it though, it's plain sailing, and yes it's a good 30-45 min cooldown game).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
njshaw2 wrote:
I really like Discoveries. Note: It's worth playing a few practice hands first (at least by yourself in prep for teaching) as the way dice are used isn't immediately logical. (Once you get it though, it's plain sailing, and yes it's a good 30-45 min cooldown game).

Thank you for the tip. I watched a couple vids, including Rhado, and I can see how it could take a couple rounds to sink in, but it does make sense to me. I will try a solo round or two, still.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Final Update: Got Arkham Horror (Third Edition) to the Table Saturday night. WE PLAYED FOR SIX HOURS surprise. Granted, we were learning, had to dig for rules clarification several times, and we had dinner in there as well. The turns and phases took some getting used to, and the rounds started to go efficiently after a few rounds. I had fun playing this game, but am concerned that it will need more scenarios to keep it interesting. I have NO DOUBT FF will oblige soon enough. I don't know if my kids like this as much as Mansion of Madness, but I certainly want to try another scenario. We beat our first game, but it sounds like the other story lines in the game may be harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
Grishny wrote:
Will report back, spoiler free, this weekend!

... or perhaps in the middle of next week?

Not a whole lot of gaming last weekend, but I did get in a long-overdue play of Colony with the family on Friday night. It's one of those games that we all enjoy, and think about playing again, and sometimes even talk about playing again, and sometimes it even makes it downstairs in a stack of options, yet never seems to get picked. Finally got picked! It had been almost 2 years since my last play.

Saturday it was just me and my sons, and we got two games back into our Near and Far campaign, again after a long hiatus. We all had side quests but forgot how they worked, so did a bunch of the regular ones in our first game before remembering we were supposed to do our sides first. Ah well, it wasn't like we remembered the stories we were investigating after more than a year away from the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Grishny wrote:
Grishny wrote:
Will report back, spoiler free, this weekend!

... or perhaps in the middle of next week?

Not a whole lot of gaming last weekend, but I did get in a long-overdue play of Colony with the family on Friday night. It's one of those games that we all enjoy, and think about playing again, and sometimes even talk about playing again, and sometimes it even makes it downstairs in a stack of options, yet never seems to get picked. Finally got picked! It had been almost 2 years since my last play.

Saturday it was just me and my sons, and we got two games back into our Near and Far campaign, again after a long hiatus. We all had side quests but forgot how they worked, so did a bunch of the regular ones in our first game before remembering we were supposed to do our sides first. Ah well, it wasn't like we remembered the stories we were investigating after more than a year away from the game!

I like Colony and Favor of the Pharaoh both as nice, light, chatty games. Meaning you can chat while you're playing. That said, I'm not sure I still need both in my collection. One may move onto the dust pile soon. But I do love rolling a BUNCH of dice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
wombat929 wrote:
I like Colony and Favor of the Pharaoh both as nice, light, chatty games. Meaning you can chat while you're playing. That said, I'm not sure I still need both in my collection. One may move onto the dust pile soon. But I do love rolling a BUNCH of dice.

Rolling a bunch of dice is always nice. And as Geoff Engelstein teaches us, the more dice you roll, the less random the outcome.

Man, now I want to play Titan again....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.