BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades

Subject: Benelux Math Trade May 2019 Discussion Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: mirrorshipping [+] [View All]
Nancy M.
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the discussion thread for the Benelux Math Trade May 2019.

Trade Geeklist: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/255977
Request list: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/255978

List closes: Friday, May 17th, 6:00 PM CET
Deadline for submitting lists: Friday, May 24th, 6:00 PM CET

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D P
Belgium
flag msg tools
mbmb
While completing my trade list, I noticed some comments (again) on the topic of shipping costs.

I quote (translated):
Quote:
Ik zet idd niet in op loten die kosten aanrekenen. Echter, op mijn wijze wil ik de personen die wél kosten aanrekenen, zoveel mogelijk ontmoedigen om ook op mijn spellen in te zetten. Doen ze't toch, krijgen ze een koekje van eigen deeg ?.

I don't trade with people who charge for shipping. By using 'mirror shipping' I'm trying to demotivate those people from trading with me - and if they do, they get back what they're offering.

In previous math trades, this has also been discussed and similar remarks were made. First and foremost: I absolutely have no issue with the specific user I'm quoting; and obviously everyone is perfectly entitled to their opinion - and my opinion is only that: an opinion.

However, in those discussions some people seem to imply that the opinion/preference I share (that is, to put a limit on shipping offered) to be selfish / not good for the community / ..

I actually consider the ambiance and community of the geek a very important part of why I'm here, and it's certainly the main reason why I participate and trust a system like the Math Trade itself (which would never work consistently without a good community).

So, hence, a final attempt to explain why I (and possibly others) do this. I spend quite a bit of money on board games as it is, though money in itself is not that important - I love boardgaming and any money I spend on it, I do so gladly. However, whenever I buy something, anything, it feels extremely weird to me if I don't know exactly how much I'll be paying for it; same when I sell something. I tried not using the shipping rate limiting twice and in both cases, I had to send the majority of my items to the Netherlands and it cost me about 8 or 10EUR more than if it had been Belgium. I don't care about 10EUR - I make a decent living and losing 10EUR does not mean anything to me. But I felt annoyed, because a game that I traded which I considered to be valued at about 11EUR was now actually sold for 8.5EUR. I'll gladly treat anyone here for a coffee or beer, it's not about the money at all. It's about the predictability of the price at which I buy or sell - and the fact that people like me feel annoyed when the predictability is not there.

Funnily enough, the same user that I quoted above, replied to a money offer of someone else, requesting where they live to better estimate the true value after his shipping cost. (Nancy correctly replied that this does not matter, as you might have to send to someone completely different.) I put that shipping rate limit in place, precisely not to be surprised and be able to calculate the exact value of the trade.

I appreciate people who don't put shipping rate limits, in a way I wish I myself "could let this go" more easily. However, I tried and I felt annoyed. This is a hobby for fun, I don't want to feel annoyed. Using the shipping rate limit, I can perfectly predict the value (as perceived by me) of each trade I might make. (And, very important, while doing so, I don't stop others from doing the same! If you trade one of my items, and you live in Belgium, you know you won't pay for shipping. If you live in NL, you'll pay 2.5EUR. So you can easily adapt your own trade to match this.)

Quite a rant, sorry for that. I don't want to spark a lengthy debate (this topic has been debated several times), I just want to clarify why I set shipping rate limits and hope that others can understand and not be frustrated/annoyed by it.

Final note: I quoted the same user twice (but others have made similar remarks in this or previous math trades) - this is absolutely nothing against that user. In fact, I think his solution is perfect and I advise anyone who does feel annoyed by users like me to implement it too.

edit: only slightly related, who here does not get irritated when buying an airplane ticket and at screen 5 you have to pay 20EUR for administration (which is not much compared to the 500EUR ticket, and even the 520EUR ticket is cheaper than the other 7 alternatives you looked at that were at least 600EUR)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.