Subject: Gen Con Math Trade 2019 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: gencon2019 [+] [View All]
Daryl Janisch
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
https://www.gencon.com/events/153165

Hello all,

The GenCon math trade using Abecorn will take place on Friday morning (8 - 930ish). We are announcing this now so you can get a ticket and have it on your GenCon schedule. We are in the same room as last year.

You don't need a ticket to attend but the beancounters determine if we deserve the space we get by looking at how many tickets we gather. We had 108 tickets last year but 180+ attendees. To persuade you further, we will have raffle prizes drawn from the ticket pool. No ticket, no raffle.

I'm also looking for suggestions. What did you like, what didn't you like from previous years? Post it here, I won't take any of it personally but I will take it to heart.

For example, this year I want to stand at the door and check off names as you come into the room. It should be quicker than everyone trying to check on a single list.

Daryl Janisch
a.k.a. the guy yelling out names last year...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Turner
United States
Bexley
Ohio
flag msg tools
BGG has paid for itself by saving me from buying crappy games!
badge
Come on people! Donate! nothing in life is free!
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure if this would work, but what about putting the alphabet around the room. This way, the "standers" could stand in one spot near the first initial of their BGG name. It would make it easier for the seekers to find them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Maule
United States
Johnston
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad we have an official spot again, and that it's the large ballroom. That was much better than the old hallway days, getting yelled at by staff or having to clear out to make way for the werewolf games.

I was surprised at how quickly we filled the room up (though I really shouldn't have been). Organizing the room by username would be useful but that's probably unmanageable with the number of people involved. I think that was the intent last year in the beginning but then it broke down.

Are the rules going to require everyone to show up in the first half hour or so of the trade? An hour and a half is a while to be sitting around waiting for that one person that inconveniences everyone else because they don't think they need to show up until 9:30.

Checking people at the door will probably help keep the sign in list better up to date, but didn't that room have some side entrances? Also, are you going to have a big board where you can mark people off like you did 2 years ago, or just a printout like last year?

And the yelling helped, maybe with some tweaks it won't be as necessary this year. Hopefully you have someone to help you with your own trades.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Reagan
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthmaule wrote:
Are the rules going to require everyone to show up in the first half hour or so of the trade? An hour and a half is a while to be sitting around waiting for that one person that inconveniences everyone else because they don't think they need to show up until 9:30.

Agreed. This was the worst thing about last year...it went on so long. I would advocate for the meetup time being shorter. (It may be too late for that this year) Participants should also treat this like any other event. You would not get a warm welcome if you showed up for a game halfway through.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Maybe having the room divided by alphabet just in quadrants? Having 4 general areas for parts of the alphabet to hunker down might be better than no organization or trying (and failing) to enforce a strict alphabetizing.

That said, in 2017, we just had a big room in the Westin without ballroom tables in the way so the organizers could show up 45 minutes early, make a chair snake and ask people to follow the path upon entry, looking for their trade partners, and setting up shop at the first available space at the end. It mostly worked except for people who didn’t read, blew past everyone, end ended up walking in a circle at the end of the line.

Really the biggest problem last year was people with tiny signs (or none at all). And that one guy who didn’t wake up in time and didn’t show up until 9:45 or however late I had to stick around there playing Kingdomino to pass the time.

For 2020, I’d suggest making the event no longer than an hour and making it later in the day.

For 2019, I feel like the best thing is to scare people ahead of time that if they make life crap for people, they won’t be allowed to participate, or you’ll take their candy bars or something else menacing.

Cool idea with the raffle. Last year I think people just didn’t get that you were supposed to have a ticket.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My suggestions:

GET RID OF THE TABLES AND/OR CHAIRS IN THE MIDDLE OF THE ROOM
There were far too many tables and chairs packed into the room and it made navigating very difficult, especially with so many people sitting at them. There was barely enough space for one person to squeeze between most of them, much less multiple people trying to pass each other.

If moving/removing them isn't an option, would it be possible to move the chairs to the outside ring of the room? Anything to make it easier to navigate the room would help speed up the entire process.

PROVIDE BASIC SIGN MAKING MATERIALS
It might be helpful providing just a stack of paper and some broad tip markers for those that forgot a sign to quickly make one.
There were far too many people without signs, or tiny signs that were impossible to read because they were written in pen.

POST ALPHABET SIGNS AROUND THE ROOM
As others have suggested, even the most basic of grouping would have helped to speed up the process of locating people.

These things always feel a bit like organized chaos so even the slightest bit of visual direction would help. I think something like the following would motivate people to self organize better:
usernames
beginning with
A

POST BASIC INSTRUCTIONS
To further help alleviate some of the organized chaos, and help direct newbies, a poster board with basic instructions posted at the main table would probably help alleviate having to constantly direct people coming in. Something large and simple like:

MARK YOUR NAME OFF THE LIST WHEN YOU ARRIVE

FIND YOUR SECTION

(GROUPED ALPHABETICALLY BY USERNAME)

DISPLAY YOUR USERNAME

Supplies at the table if you need them

I also agree that the posted time should be shortened to an hour. Obviously it'll last longer if needed, but I think there's probably a contingent that sees 8:00-9:30 and assume it's perfectly okay showing up at 8:30-9:00.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Janisch
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to make sure we have time to set up this year. Last year the facility was locked until about 7:50.

I have help to move stuff this year. If we could move the tables to the outer edge of the room and clear out the center that would help.

Sign making items: check!

Alphabet signs: check!

Bigger sign in sheet: check!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
To play is human; to win, divine.
badge
There is no shame in losing, if you remain unafraid to play again. -Losers
mbmbmbmbmb
I would shorten the meeting time to just 30 minutes. 8:00 to 8:30

Stated expectation: Be there by 8:00, get your trading done by 8:30.

This leaves a buffer for the few who are chronically late and for those who run into some unexpected turbulence that morning. We could hopefully still be done by 9:00.

I have an event at 9:00, so I could not get a ticket. I suggest changing the official time of the event on the Gen Con ticket from 8:00 to 9:00. Gen Con will still reserve the room until 9:30, but the change would allow those of us with 9:00 events to get Math Trade tickets.

Thank you to Bien and Qwaserity for doing all the legwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Schleicher
United States
GOLDEN VALLEY
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe have the raffle drawing at 8:15 for those in attendance?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lam I Am
United States
Highland
UT
flag msg tools
To play is human; to win, divine.
badge
There is no shame in losing, if you remain unafraid to play again. -Losers
mbmbmbmbmb
dschleicher wrote:

I wish I could give this idea more than one thumb.

Small tweak: stop giving out raffle tickets at 8:15, hold the drawing at 8:30, so the raffle interferes less with the trading frenzy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stephenson
United States
Everett
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
darthmaule wrote:
...Are the rules going to require everyone to show up in the first half hour or so of the trade? An hour and a half is a while to be sitting around waiting for that one person that inconveniences everyone else because they don't think they need to show up until 9:30.

Yes, we'll make it clear in the write-ups to show up in the first half hour or else call/text/email your trade partners for your delay.

I had set it to 9:30am because they rushed us out of there at the end of the last trade and that made things a bit frustrating for everyone exchanging with the token one late person who came at the last minute.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron R
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
samlamiam wrote:
dschleicher wrote:

I wish I could give this idea more than one thumb.

Small tweak: stop giving out raffle tickets at 8:15, hold the drawing at 8:30, so the raffle interferes less with the trading frenzy.

How about handing out tickets as people sign in. That way to be eligible you need to show up before a certain time and be signed in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wood
United States
Davis
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh bastet, abecorn again. Guess it can't be helped, but really prefer the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Future Wolfie
United States
West Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think my biggest problem last year was that I got confused about which Usernames to use - BGG or Abecorn. So used to the OLWLG that I brought a nice big sign with BGG usernames and then realized people were probably looking for Abecorn usernames. And I don't think I'm the only one.

So maybe explicitly saying which username to use on your signs - and having some big markers / paper on site in face people forget or don't have signs in general.

Aside from just not knowing if the person you're looking for is there, the thing that helps the most is big, clear signs

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Reagan
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In most cases it will be the bgg username. Abecorn allows you to create a trade in bgg for all of your matched items. Those trades are all setup and created under the bgg names.
I realize that currently not everyone takes advantage of this and creates a trade. If your abecorn name is radically different you may want to do this (so that your fellow trader is looking for a bgg name) as well as put both names on your sign as a fallback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack
United States
Champaign
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
creagan wrote:
In most cases it will be the bgg username. Abecorn allows you to create a trade in bgg for all of your matched items. Those trades are all setup and created under the bgg names.
I realize that currently not everyone takes advantage of this and creates a trade. If your abecorn name is radically different you may want to do this (so that your fellow trader is looking for a bgg name) as well as put both names on your sign as a fallback.

Yes, I think we should go as far as requiring everyone to use their BGG username for purposes of finding each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron R
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thorphin wrote:

Yes, I think we should go as far as requiring everyone to use their BGG username for purposes of finding each other.

A BGG account isn't required to participate though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Reagan
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AaronR wrote:
thorphin wrote:

No, but I believe those without a bgg account will be few, if any.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stephenson
United States
Everett
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
creagan wrote:
AaronR wrote:
thorphin wrote:

It's required to have a BGG account, you link it when you sign in for the first time. It also helps with tracking people down.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Future Wolfie
United States
West Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So yeah, there's the confusion. It requires a BGG account to be linked, but your Abecorn username doesn't necessarily match. So some clarification/direction on that would be good.

But this year i'll definitely be including both on my sign.

Bien wrote:
creagan wrote:
AaronR wrote:
thorphin wrote:

It's required to have a BGG account, you link it when you sign in for the first time. It also helps with tracking people down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Washkuhn
United States
MILWAUKEE
WI
flag msg tools
Just to clarify, the Hosted Trade hasn't been created on Abecorn yet, right? I went there to look and couldn't find it. When should we expect to get started?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Stephenson
United States
Everett
WA - Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Willwashkuhn wrote:
Just to clarify, the Hosted Trade hasn't been created on Abecorn yet, right? I went there to look and couldn't find it. When should we expect to get started?

We were looking at the first or second week of June to start and having it end at about two weeks before the event.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Reagan
United States
Carmel
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any reason to delay getting started?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Janisch
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We counted the week to Gen Con to pick the date. June 17th is the Monday after Origins and it is 6 weeks and 2 or 3 days before GenCon.

That will give us 4 weeks to run the math trade online then 2 weeks to panic over other things Gen Con related.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rhonda Rettig
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for putting this together. I'm looking forward to my first math trade. Outside of being on time to this event, are there any tips for a newbie? I saw there are some pinned guides I'm going to read through but didn't know if there was anything else I should be doing to prepare.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.