BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Trades

Subject: Swiss Math Trade - May 2019 - Discussion Thread rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ruben Cabezon
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is the discussion thread for the Swiss Math Trade - May 2019.

Here you can release your karma!

Geeklist: Swiss Math Trade - May 2019
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabien Conus
Switzerland
Geneva
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi there,

I've never done a math trade, so this is still a bit obscur to me, but I need to make some space on my shelves and I have a bunch of games (some a bit old and some fairly new) to sell.

Would that be a good place to list those games ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FabienC wrote:
Hi there,

I've never done a math trade, so this is still a bit obscur to me, but I need to make some space on my shelves and I have a bunch of games (some a bit old and some fairly new) to sell.

Haven't participated yet in one neither. Do list your games, but you won't "sell" them.
Instead in a math trade you exchange games. Easy example: You have game a game A you're willing to trade for game B. I do have game B, but would like game C for it. And a third person is willing trande game C for game A. I'll give you game B, you give that other person game A and that person gives me game C. The math trade does organize such an exchange, which would get quiet complicated with more then a few participants.

So in the end you won't have less games then before, except if you bundle some games.

I was planning to wait till Essen, but probably I'm going to list some games as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Taylor
Switzerland
Uster
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
never done one of these before, so willing to give it a go! Will submit some games over the next few days
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FabienC wrote:
Hi there,

Sometimes, people put of things like CHF 10 or CHF 20 so you could trade your games for money, but it's rather rare. It's really meant as a trade. Timo explained it fairly well.

If you want to sell, ricardo or another auction site might be the best bet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rosewater
Switzerland
Zürich
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I added some games to the list, but it still feels empty. Please tell your friends about the Swiss math trade...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Math trades are tough, since they have a positive feedback loop (more and better games bring more and better games to it). Particularly difficult in a small country.

Off-topic perhaps, but an alternative would be to create a permanent "Swiss games for sale" list like the Greeks have done. See it here. All sales go through the geek store, and it's an easy way to find games with cheap shipping and no taxes (for the Greeks). People delete their entries if a game is sold, and a moderator cleans it up every year or so.

Would there be interest to create such a list?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I added some games as well now.

For anyone who isn't aware, also a short advertising: There is a BGG Guild for Switzerland. Not to many people in there yet, but still a good possibility to reach fellow geeks in Switzerland (e.g. to organize a permanent "swiss games for sale" list).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually didnt know. Thank you.
It only has 26 members though, hardly a big participation, even given the size of CH...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coralsaw wrote:
It only has 26 members though, hardly a big participation, even given the size of CH...

If you have any idea on how to reach more people, I'm all ears
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Yani
Switzerland
Zürich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sp1r0u wrote:
coralsaw wrote:

If you have any idea on how to reach more people, I'm all ears

IMO it´s all about the content. Hence my suggestion to pitch in with a for sale geeklist that can hopefully grow in time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Is there any tea on this spaceship?"
mb
Anybody know the rates for shipping by Post? For a standard 30x30 game for example

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Huter
Switzerland
Basel
Basel-Stadt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Normally is CHF 7.00

https://apps.post.ch/vsc/#/?country=CH&format=PARCEL&weight=...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ozan
Switzerland
Zurich
Kanton Zurich
flag msg tools
designer
badge
"Is there any tea on this spaceship?"
mb
Squeezel wrote:

That is quite reasonable nice. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Rosewater
Switzerland
Zürich
Switzerland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly I am a bit disappointed about the low partizipation rate. I find math trades to be always be a great thing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Goodsound wrote:
Honestly I am a bit disappointed about the low partizipation rate. I find math trades to be always be a great thing.

I couldn't make it this year...

A thought: I think it would be cool if there was one close to a convention of sorts, like the Suisse Toy or the SPIEL. This way, there would be the possibility for some to meet up and exchange the games directly. Shipping kills a lot of the incentive to trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
emptyset wrote:
A thought: I think it would be cool if there was one close to a convention of sorts, like the Suisse Toy or the SPIEL. This way, there would be the possibility for some to meet up and exchange the games directly. Shipping kills a lot of the incentive to trade.

I agree. For Spiel a math trade allready exists. Suisse Toy unfortunatly doesn't exist anymore in its classic form. And I don't know what other events in Switzerland would be fitting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Cabezon
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sp1r0u wrote:
emptyset wrote:

I agree. For Spiel a math trade allready exists. Suisse Toy unfortunatly doesn't exist anymore in its classic form. And I don't know what other events in Switzerland would be fitting.

Well, you are all should know about the (arguably) best board game convention in Switzerland, the one that we organize... BasGame (https://basgame.ch)
This year will be the 6th edition and it will take place in Basel (Sep. 28th). If there is interest, I'm happy to organize a second MT in mid September, so that you have the chance come to BasGame and do the exchange directly there.
It would be also a nice opportunity to meet you all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Schaub
Switzerland
Thun
Bern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
realnewton wrote:
Well, you are all should know about the (arguably) best board game convention in Switzerland, the one that we organize... BasGame (https://basgame.ch)
This year will be the 6th edition and it will take place in Basel (Sep. 28th). If there is interest, I'm happy to organize a second MT in mid September, so that you have the chance come to BasGame and do the exchange directly there.
It would be also a nice opportunity to meet you all.

This would be a great idea, but I'm going on vacation on that exact date...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Cabezon
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Results already uploaded in OLWLG and are definitive.
You can start shipping and enjoying your new games!

Thanks for participating!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
realnewton wrote:

One trade for me, I'm happy with the result

Thank you for organizing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George I.
Switzerland
Zurich
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
realnewton wrote:

Thanks a lot for organizing it! Two trades for me, I couldn't possibly be happier.

Based on the results, I am to send money for a trade. Does the sender or the receiver have to initiate a trade proposal or marketplace entry for this purpose?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ruben Cabezon
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Picon wrote:
realnewton wrote:

Thanks a lot for organizing it! Two trades for me, I couldn't possibly be happier.

Based on the results, I am to send money for a trade. Does the sender or the receiver have to initiate a trade proposal or marketplace entry for this purpose?

Yes. The trader (i.e. money receiver) is effectively making a sale through BGG, therefore the 3% fee should apply according to the General Terms of the website. Here there is a step-by-step guideline on how to do this:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1483987/cash-value-trades-m...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.