Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Eric Sokolowsky
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a no-shipping math trade held at the Congress of Gamers at Rockville, Maryland, on Saturday June 22, 2019.

Follow this link to post your own games that you might want to trade.
Discuss and ask questions about this trade here. The full rules are also here.
Follow this link to get details about the trade at the convention.
There will not be a separate request list for this trade. Just use the discussion thread for such requests.

Timeline (all times Eastern Time):

Open for posting games: Now
Deadline for posting games: Monday, June 10, 2019, 10:00 pm Eastern
Deadline for want list submissions: Monday, June 17, 2019, 10:00 pm Eastern
Results will be posted shortly thereafter.

We will use the OLWLG for conducting the trade.

The thread you are reading is for discussion of the math trade, including complete rules. Please subscribe to this thread so you can be notified of any changes that may occur. I put the rules in this discussion thread instead of the main trade list because they are not repeated on each page (as they would be with a geeklist), making the geeklist more streamlined to browse.

The actual trade will take place at the convention. If you or your proxy are not present and you do not make other arrangements, you will be responsible for all shipping costs to send and receive the games you traded. You will drop off your games on Saturday any time before 2pm. You will pick up your games at the same location any time after 2pm on Saturday. If you cannot be there on Saturday please make other arrangements with your trading partners. Any changes to this schedule or procedure will be posted in this thread. Games not picked up will be donated to the game library unless other arrangments are made in advance.

Rules:

1. You must subscribe to this thread to be informed of changes.

2. The Online Want List Generator (OLWLG) will be used for this trade since it reduces errors and makes generating want lists so much easier. However I will also accept manual submissions by geekmail if you cannot use the OLWLG. Please plan ahead and work with me if you need to exercise this option. One of the benefits of using the OLWLG is that it makes adding games from your BGG "Trade List" very easy. I am available to answer questions and there are guides on how to use it here on the geek. Please remember to tip JeffyJeff some GG for his support.

3. Board games, Video Games, RPG items, gift cards and/or certificates, geek gold, and cash are allowed. Use the game item "Outside the Scope of BGG" for geekgold or gift certificates, and include an alternate title such as "+altname+250 geek gold-altname-" or "+altname+$50 gift certificate-altname-" in the description. These special tags make it easier to handle in the OLWLG.
4. Accepting a cash offering (or cash equivalent like a gift card or gift certificate) in this or any other Math Trade constitutes a sale, with the person accepting the cash as the "seller". This sale must go through the BGG Market (person offering cash is the buyer and person accepting cash is the seller). The seller is responsible for paying the standard 3% commissions on those sales.

5. Please describe your items as fully as possible, including publisher, edition, language, completeness and condition of the game. It is NOT enough to include a picture and say "as pictured," because this does not provide enough information for your fellow traders. Remember that you want people to pick your items, and the more information they have the more likely they will put your items on their want lists.

6. All items in an offering are to be listed using either the GAMEID formatting (Power Grid) or a link to the game's page (http://www.boardgamegeek.com/game/2651). Do NOT include links to other games in your entry unless you are actually including them as a sweetener, as this is displayed in a misleading manner by the OLWLG. All items in a single geeklist item will trade as a single unit for all items in another geeklist item.

7. If you've been reported as a bad trader, you should contact me before you participate. I will remove any entries from bad traders.

8. It is ok (and actually preferred) to remove items that are errors or that have been traded away, until the deadline for submitting games has passed. After this deadline, the trade list will be locked and no further changes will be possible. However, you can always submit a blank want list for an entry if you've changed your mind or traded it away elsewhere.

9. Only errors by the moderator will invalidate the results. Use of the OLWLG will hopefully reduce any such errors. In the case of problems after the results are posted, they will at most invalidate only the affected trade chain(s) and not the entire result set. In addition if a problem can be resolved by the most directly affected party or parties, then that will be the preferred course of action.

10. Software Used: TradeMaximizer 1.4 with duplicate protection. SEED=74951, ITERATIONS=30, METRIC=USERS-TRADING

If you are new to math trades, check out the following links for a primer on how they work. Feel free to ask specific questions after you have a sense of what they are about. To get started, just add the games that you want to trade as items in this geeklist, one game per item. If you want to offer multiple games as one item (trading it as a bundle) you should add all of the game links to the same geeklist item.

These two cover the same material, but in different learning styles:
The Math Trade wiki page
Math Trades for Dummies

If you need to learn about the online want list generator (OLWLG):
The OLWLG wiki page
Chris' geeklist on How to use Duplicate Protection with the OLWLG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
Congress of Gamers conventions
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm happy to add any of the 1000+ games in my BGG Marketplace to the math trade on request. I normally add only the most popular items to the trade list, to avoid clutter.

Here's what I have:
https://boardgamegeek.com/geekmarket/user/Eric%20Engelmann

PM me to add any you might like to trade for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe White
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
Collector
badge
Collector
mbmbmbmbmb
You're welcome to advertise the math trade on the central maryland virtual flea market: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/244376/central-maryland-v...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sokolowsky
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bulkoth wrote:
You're welcome to advertise the math trade on the central maryland virtual flea market

Thanks for the suggestion! I will do that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sokolowsky
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When I set up the trade, I forgot to request the trade being listed in the OLWLG. I have now corrected this oversight, but it may take a couple of days for it to show up. Until then, you can use the following link to add games from your collection or past trades to this list: http://bgg.activityclub.org/olwlg/addmygames.cgi?listid=2563...

You can always manually add entries to the geeklist to have them considered for inclusion in the trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kuchling
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I added a number of games to the list on Tuesday, but they haven't yet appeared in the version of the list on the OLWLG. Having not done a math trade before, I don't know if this is expected -- does it sometimes take several days for the list to update, or is something subtly incorrect with my additions?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe White
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
Collector
badge
Collector
mbmbmbmbmb
With a small math trade like this the people running it probably don't bother to sync every day, you probably did it just fine as long as you mentioned any times your games had defects, they'll 100% do a sync once submissions are closed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kuchling
United States
Bowie
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Ah, that makes sense; thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sokolowsky
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this far out I'll just do a sync occasionally. I just did one so your games should be there now. When it gets closer I'll sync more often.

Thanks for participating!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrés Pérez
United States
Germantown
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Adding my excellent copy of Alhambra: Big Box hoping to downsize it to a regular version of Alhambra. So if you have Alhambra, add it to the list!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Admire
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I've added several games (and will have more to add later this week) for trade, but am not quite sure I've done it right. Also, I'm having trouble adding items I want - the link for Step 4 on the OLWLG only seems to take me to a style page. (EDIT: Never mind, I figured it out. I guess I'll have to ask someone to add items I'm interested in so I can add them to my OLWLG want list once the list re-syncs with my own adds.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe White
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
Collector
badge
Collector
mbmbmbmbmb
The list is not synced automatically, you need to wait a few days for those running the trade to re-sync before your items will appear in the OLWLG. If they appear in the geeklist and you included the condition of your items you're good to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sokolowsky
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just synced again, so everything added to the list should be in the OLWLG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Admire
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
So, I'm perplexed about something else. (I'm a newbie to this! ) How does it work to request games that you'd like to trade for if they're not already on the list? I have a fairly extensive BGG wishlist of which about 80 are games I'm willing to trade for, but I don't see any way to add games from that list so that people know what I'm looking for. Or what am I missing here?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe White
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
Collector
badge
Collector
mbmbmbmbmb
joea64 wrote:
So, I'm perplexed about something else. (I'm a newbie to this! ) How does it work to request games that you'd like to trade for if they're not already on the list? I have a fairly extensive BGG wishlist of which about 80 are games I'm willing to trade for, but I don't see any way to add games from that list so that people know what I'm looking for. Or what am I missing here?

The way it works is that everyone posts what they HAVE to trade, then once all the initial period is over we all have some time to submit what we WANT (would trade in exchange for the items we listed, for example you'd trade Game A for my Game B) then the algorithms go to work. It finds large circles of items to trade to maximize how many games get traded. For example: I didn't want your Game A, but I did want someone else's $20 cash for Game B, and they wanted to pay $20 cash for your Game A so we get a chain, I ship to you, you ship to him and he pays me $20.

Your wishlist only really plays into the equation in that after the list is synced, and you sync your collection with OLWLG, you can use the magnifying glass at the top of OLWLG to filter only to your wishlist/wantlist.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Sokolowsky
United States
Laurel
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also list some of your wants here (as a reply to this thread). In particular, if Eric Engelmann has any of the games you list, he'll put it in the trade. Others may do the same.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Admire
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Will do. Eric's for-sale list seems to be currently unavailable (at least it was last night), but I still have my wants from April so I'll put these and others up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Admire
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Here are some games (not an exhaustive list - please check my current wishlist at https://boardgamegeek.com/wishlist/joea64) that I'm currently looking for:

Command Magazine #4 (Lion of Ethiopia)
Command Magazine #29 (Proud Monster)
Command Magazine #34 (Death and Destruction)
Strategy & Tactics #43 (American Civil War, original edition - or the SPI flatpack version)
Strategy & Tactics #54 (Dixie, or folio version)
Strategy & Tactics #55 (Breitenfeld)
Strategy & Tactics #74 (Ney vs. Wellington)
Modern War #19 (Red Dragon Falling)
Modern War #28 (Objective Havana)
Modern War #42 (The Dragon that Engulfed the Sun)
Imperium (GDW)
Federation and Empire
The Korean War (VG)
Vietnam 1965-1975 (VG)
Central America (VG)
Air & Armor (West End)
MechWar '77 (SPI)
Fulda Gap (SPI)
NATO Division Commander (SPI)
MechWar 2 (SPI)
Minuteman: The Second American Revolution (SPI)
La Grande Armee (SPI 1972 edition)
Normandy '44 (GMT)
Triumph and Glory (GMT)
Fading Glory (GMT)
The Three Days of Gettysburg (GMT)
The Battles of Waterloo (GMT)
Drive on Frankfurt (Counterattack issue #1)
No Trumpets, No Drums (2016 OSS reissue)

(from Eric Engelmann's games-for-sale list, updated as of 6/8/19) (highlighted items are ones I particularly want)

The American Revolution: Decision in North America
Black Gold (XTR)
Chancellorsville: Pinnacle of Victory (S&T)
Firefight (SPI tray edition)
Fortress America (MB first edition)
Here Come the Rebels! (AH)
MBT (first edition) (AH)
Mississippi Banzai (XTR)
North Wind Rain (ATO)
Red Star Falling
Stonewall in the Valley (AH)

The Struggle of Nations (AH)
Thirty Years War 1618-1648 (GMT)
A World at War (GMT)

If anyone reading this who's participating in the CoG math trade has any of the above or any other games on my complete wishlist and is willing to trade, please post 'em!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
joea64 wrote:
Will do. Eric's for-sale list seems to be currently unavailable (at least it was last night), but I still have my wants from April so I'll put these and others up.

Oops! I changed my Marketplace status to "On Vacation" which makes my listings temporarily disappear. My list will be back online tomorrow evening.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Admire
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Eric Engelmann wrote:
joea64 wrote:

Oops! I changed my Marketplace status to "On Vacation" which makes my listings temporarily disappear. My list will be back online tomorrow evening.

Can you double-check? I looked again but your list hasn't come back up yet; just in case, I posted a list of games that I'm particularly looking for right now which includes several from your list that I recorded back in April when we were working on the boxful of goodies I bought from you at the last session (Updated this morning to add several more titles). I'd particularly be interested in Here Come The Rebels!, Mississippi Banzai, Black Gold (Texas Tea), Red Star Falling and Firefight. Still waiting on the next sync to update with values for the games I posted after the last sync.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Engelmann
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
Eric's actual photo!
mbmbmbmbmb
My marketplace list of over 1000 games is back online. Given the primitive computing environment here in the mountains, I won't be able to add any more games to the trade list by tomorrow's deadline, but could still add some to the auction store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Admire
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Eric Engelmann wrote:
My marketplace list of over 1000 games is back online. Given the primitive computing environment here in the mountains, I won't be able to add any more games to the trade list by tomorrow's deadline, but could still add some to the auction store.

OK - I'm a bit concerned that nobody else seems to be posting any wargames to the list so I could end up with a bunch of games being offered that nobody's interested in. What happens then?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe White
United States
Elkridge
Maryland
flag msg tools
Collector
badge
Collector
mbmbmbmbmb
Sometimes you just don't get any trades, the algorithm will typically do it's best to get everyone at least one trade but it will prioritize moving the most games. Just fill out the olwlg with the trades you would be happy making and see how it goes. Desperately trying to exchanged stuff to ensure you have a trade is the best way to get a trade you didn't want
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Perreault
United States
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Will the games be synced today? I’m not seeing the ones I listed on OLWLG and just wanted to double check that I did it right
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Admire
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Bulkoth wrote:
Sometimes you just don't get any trades, the algorithm will typically do it's best to get everyone at least one trade but it will prioritize moving the most games. Just fill out the olwlg with the trades you would be happy making and see how it goes. Desperately trying to exchanged stuff to ensure you have a trade is the best way to get a trade you didn't want

Got it. I guess the real problem is...nobody seems to be offering anything I want. I was hoping to swap some of my excess wargames for new wargames, but I'm the only person who seems to be offering wargames for trade this time around. I saw some people referring to a "bring and buy" table which might be an alternative but I don't know what that is (this is only my 2nd time at a CoG session).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.