Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
Blue Peg, Pink Peg Gaming Podcast
mbmbmbmbmb
Its time to welcome you tooooooo........your reroll. This time around we are rerolling Trajan. What are your thoughts on this classic game? Remember if you leave comments also leave your rating! I imagine lots of people will have thoughts on this one. As usual I will pick a couple to read on air.

Poll
1. Have you played Trajan?
Yes.
No, but want to.
No, but would if someone brought it out to try.
No and no desire to.
2. What is your BPPP rating of Trajan?
6- Collection Essential
3- Average Game.
0- The Worst
      154 answers
Poll created by rookenoble
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Daulton
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Trajan a very good game. It is one of my wife’s absolute favorites. I Like it quite a bit myself, although I prefer other Feld games more. Has absolutely zero theme. However the way you get points in the game, whether from military or from the Senate, just intrigues me. I especially like the Mancala mechanic. Though, it is very susceptible to analysis paralysis. This game has been a consistent Lee played one in my collection for years and I expect that to continue. 4 peg rating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
This has been on my "gotta try that sometime" list for a really long time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Ogden
United States
Huntington
Indiana
flag msg tools
"I like it when they say bumper to bumper."
badge
"Hairy BABY!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Trajan is probably my second-favorite Feld behind Castles, and honestly it is very close. The mancala/rondel mechanic for your action selection is so satisfying and challenging to manage all at the same time. The point salad is real in this game, and I love it. A collection essential for sure!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Morris
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I quite enjoy Trajan, but my physical copy hasn’t hit the table in a few years. The set-up is fiddly enough to keep all of my plays online these days. Definitely the most dry of the Felds I own, but it’s still a keeper...for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Huang
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Pretty great euro game. Back then, this was my first game with the "many mini games" in one game feel. Still like it, but like most Felds, not hitting the table much with folks I game with.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore del Popolo
msg tools
mb
Trajan would have to be one of my favourite Feld games and it will likely never leave my collection. I like how it is essentially a collection of mini-games that are somewhat interconnected, but on its own that wouldn't be enough. The action selection mechanism of using your personal mancala to trigger the action that you want whilst trying to get the right coloured pegs in the best spots to activate your trajan tiles is deliciously brain-burning. It can be frustrating when you just can't line things up in order to do what you want to do, but oh-so-satisfying when you can. I think this is where the game truly shines and also gives players something to think about when it isn't their turn so downtime doesn't seem to be much of an issue with this game.

Having said that, it is rather dry (no surprises there) and is a nightmare for colour-blind players like myself. I've had to stick stickers on some of the meeples and pegs to help distinguish them from eachother. This is the only game in my collection that I've had to do that for.

It also happens to be the only game in my entire collection that has blue pegs and pink pegs in it.

A solid 5-pegs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm. I feel like I need to give Trajan a split rating.

I recognise that it's a mechanically good game, but I've only played it once and while I wouldn't mind playing it again if someone else really wanted to, I'm also OK if I never do get to play it again. There are many other eurogames that I enjoy equally well or more, and I'd pick so many over Trajan. In that sense it's super average.

I clicked 4 in the poll, but it could easily have been a 3.

Edit: I think when it came out, it probably stood out in a way, but in today's field of games, not so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brandon from BB was just talking about this one on their latest episode. I played Castles of Burgundy for the first time about six months ago(??), and absolutely fell in love. It is soooooo good. Brandon mentioned this was his favorite Feld besides that one, and it prompted me to get a copy. Ordered last night and should have it in a few days. Probably won't play it in time for this re-roll, though. Can't wait to try it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destrio Dai
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
5 pegs. I enjoy the mancala action selection puzzle immensely but have some reservations on strategic choices. The game seems to lean towards maximizing tactical actions given how the pieces of the mancala move but I look forward to trying different strategies in future plays.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
Blue Peg, Pink Peg Gaming Podcast
mbmbmbmbmb
pulling these soon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.