United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
I'm happy to announce a new feature that we've recently added to our Convention Preview system. You may now pre-order games direct from participating publishers for pickup at their booth. Origins Game Fair 2019 is the first test run of this new system.

W. Eric Martin has written up more details on his blog post.

Or you can just head to the convention preview itself and try it out. We appreciate any feedback you have for us, as this will be a regular service for more upcoming conventions (Gen Con, SPIEL, and BGG.CON).

Origins 2019 Preview

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
greyfedora
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
I love this feature. Hope it works out well for everyone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Per Glöde
Sweden
Svitjod
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I remember the bad old days when such things were "handled" by follow-ups in a regular bogged-down super-thread: "Is there a pre-order and pickup option?", "Is there an English version?", "Which booth?", ...
Why did I bother to follow the threads then? Among the silly-to-me annoying posts there were actual valuable information regarding the new future high-ranked games that top the ranking lists today.
Thanks for the effort to do this more effectively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antonio B-D
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
This could be such an improvement for Essen and its credit card problematic
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Meyer
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Any chance this will include the BGG Store in the future? I would love to put in a pre-order for some stuff from the BGG store and pick it up at BGG Spring!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
n8meyer wrote:
Any chance this will include the BGG Store in the future? I would love to put in a pre-order for some stuff from the BGG store and pick it up at BGG Spring!

We’ve talked about having this in place for BGG.CON in November, but not for BGG.Spring. The Origins 2019 Preview is our test run of this preorder system, and I’m not sure that we want to run two (or more) such tests at once. Assuming all goes well with this, and we’ve already changed a few things behind the scenes, then we’ll roll this out for the Gen Con 2019 Preview and subsequent convention previews.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
abendoso wrote:
This could be such an improvement for Essen and its credit card problematic

That’s the hope!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
greyfedora
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
W Eric Martin wrote:
n8meyer wrote:

We’ve talked about having this in place for BGG.CON in November, but not for BGG.Spring. The Origins 2019 Preview is our test run of this preorder system, and I’m not sure that we want to run two (or more) such tests at once. Assuming all goes well with this, and we’ve already changed a few things behind the scenes, then we’ll roll this out for the Gen Con 2019 Preview and subsequent convention previews.

I'd definitely utilize this in the future for the BGG store, especially if it included inventory that they wouldn't normally take to the con. Save a little on shipping means I can buy one more item...whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kymmie Meeple
United States
Houston
TX
flag msg tools
badge
... May you find hearts full of Meeples
mbmbmbmbmb
I would use this at BGG!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Sessoms
United States
Butler
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
I'm a Super Genius, but not in the style of Mark Madden, Local sports idiot.
mbmbmbmbmb
Not a huge issue, but I wish there was a PayPal option.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Greyfedora wrote:
W Eric Martin wrote:
n8meyer wrote:

I'd definitely utilize this in the future for the BGG store, especially if it included inventory that they wouldn't normally take to the con. Save a little on shipping means I can buy one more item...whistle

Yep - having stood in the huge queue for the BGG shop at Essen last year, and then found out that half the things I wanted weren't there, and then spent ages holding everyone else up while I tried to work out what I wanted (i.e. probably the same reason as the people in front of me had been slowing things down), this is an ABSOLUTE MUST!

Susie_Cat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
Would be WONDERFUL to have this for BGGcon.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
lightnng wrote:
Would be WONDERFUL to have this for BGGcon.

We will! For Essen pickup.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Galietta III
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LordJunon wrote:
Not a huge issue, but I wish there was a PayPal option.

One thing I've done for both Paypal and Venmo is pick up their free "debit" card. it gives you a credit card that pulls from your account balance. Easier for me than constantly moving money to the bank and avoids just this problem. Granted it doesn't give you the ease of just logging into paypal though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Galietta III
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This could just be my own brain fart, but is there anywhere to subscribe to be notified when new Con Preorder systems go up?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Alden
United States
Dallas
Texas
flag msg tools
admin
badge
Aldie's Full of Love!
mbmbmb
I updated the OP with a video showing the system (and here too)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Susie_Cat wrote:
Greyfedora wrote:
W Eric Martin wrote:
n8meyer wrote:

Yep - having stood in the huge queue for the BGG shop at Essen last year, and then found out that half the things I wanted weren't there, and then spent ages holding everyone else up while I tried to work out what I wanted (i.e. probably the same reason as the people in front of me had been slowing things down), this is an ABSOLUTE MUST!

I've addressed this topic in this BGG News post. Scroll down to the SPIEL logo to jump to that section.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Susie_Cat
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

W Eric Martin wrote:
Susie_Cat wrote:

I've addressed this topic in this BGG News post. Scroll down to the SPIEL logo to jump to that section.

W Eric Martin wrote:
In a thread posted by BGG owner Scott Alden about this preorder system, people asked whether we would use this system for items sold through the BGG Store, especially for items being sold at SPIEL '19. The answer right now is maybe.

Just "maybe" has made my day, really it has! I had such an awful time in the BGG stand queue last time round I sent an email to the store and several others asking for a "pick up at Essen" feature, so even the possibility of this is awesome, thanks!

Susie_Cat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Stevenson

Apex
North Carolina
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is such a great feature. Kudos to BGG staff on putting this together!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I juggle cats.
United States
Indianapolis
IN
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Plan B Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Rodgers
United States
Londonderry
NH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds great. Is there any chance of implementing this for PAX Unplugged?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Urtho wrote:
This sounds great. Is there any chance of implementing this for PAX Unplugged?

Possibly! We first need to get through Origins to find out whether publishers and users have feedback on how the system worked through delivery of the games at that show.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Hipp
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome! I am hoping this is working by Gen Con! I spent a lot of time racing from booth to booth - which was part of the excitement, but I would rather take my time and enjoy myself!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Stutzman
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
Will RIO Grande Games have Underwater Cities for sale at Origins?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
bbqdantheman wrote:
Will RIO Grande Games have Underwater Cities for sale at Origins?

I'm afraid that I don't know. The RGG representative mentioned only a couple of upcoming games that they'll be demoing at the show, not everything available for purchase. Note that RGG doesn't sell games directly at Origins or other conventions; instead, RGG titles are sold by retailers, so those retailers would be the ones determining what's in stock.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.