Popular Tags: [View All]
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The SdJ nominations are out!!! What are your recommendations from their lists? Who are you betting on for the big win? Which ones are you anxious to try? Time for the pegheads to weigh in!

If you're not playing the games from the recommended or nominated lists, what are you playing this week?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
What I'd like to win SdJ: Werewords; it's the only one from the list I know.

What I'd like to win KSdJ: Wingspan. Could go to any of the 3 though. I'd also love to play Carpe Diem some time, being a Feld.

This week: A new prototype freshly arrived in my inbox that needs testing, so I'll be on that. Possibly more Welcome to DinoWorld if the kids want to play more. And my daughter has asked for a game of Wingspan (independent of its KSdJ nomination), so hopefully we'll have time for that over the weekend...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Kennerspiel list is interesting. I feel like it's between Detective and Wingspan (sorry Feld), but leaning towards Wingspan. I think that may have more of a mass appeal.

This week will be a good one with lots of gaming. Saturday I am going to a friend's house whom I game with every few months. They like more aggressive, direct conflict, so I am bringing and teaching Lords of Hellas. Not sure what else the day will hold, but he has a large library and we'll play one or two more. Sunday I'll be getting together with my core group (plus), and we'll have two tables going. I am learning Troyes specifically. I'll probably play one or two additional games. Likely candidates: Wingspan, The Manhattan Project: Energy Empire, Coldwater Crown, and something Feld.

EDIT: Going to have a friend showing up on Sunday who is a huge beer fan. He brews beer and his cousin owns a local brewery in my town, so...I'm learning Brew Crafters specifically to play with him. It is probably the oldest unplayed game I own right now, and I know is has the Naxer seal of approval.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Carpe Diem once and Wingspan twice; I think I'd like to see the win go to Wingspan. Of the two, Wingspan is the one I want to own and play again. Detective is decidedly not my style of game and isn't one I have any interest at all in.

I think Just One is probably going to win the SDJ. It seems to get a lot of comparisons to Codenames, and I know I've been having a blast with it over and over again.

Tonight, we return to an old classic: Carcassonne is planned to hit the table at our weekly game night. Nothing is planned for the rest of the week, but I have a game day on Saturday set up and I know we are starting with Scythe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't played enough of the SDJ games to make a call. I like Werewords, but have heard very very good things about Just One.

I think Carpe Diem is slightly better as a game than Wingspan, but I think Wingspan will win -- its components are nicer and the gameplay has a broader appeal, I think. Detective was good, but not Spiel-worthy, IMO.

I do feel a little braggy that one of the recommended games was a series of 3 mystery solving games released under the title SHERLOCK. I picked these up in Iceland when I was there a couple months ago, so that's fun. We've played one so far and thought it was pretty good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristopher Hickman
United States
St. Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Gaming Unplugged since... 2016
mbmbmbmbmb
Just One is my SDJ recommendation.

This week, we are playing Great Western Trail, Assault of the Giants, and Lords of Waterdeep!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm rooting for Wingspan as it's a game I've taught and played nearly two dozen times. It's got great replayability; it's beautiful on the table; and it plays in under an hour (for 2-player games).

This week, I'm taking it easy tonight, but the rest of the week will be gaming:

Tue: D&D 3.5 Edition, as a player...a Dwarven Cleric/Paladin

Wed: I'm hosting friends for a small Game Night

Thu: My hosted Game Night at the Glen Echo Irish Pub

Fri: Off to Philly for the long weekend, during which my girlfriend will ak to play Bruges, Concordia, and Glass Road.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richmond Bramblet
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SdJ: Just One
KSdJ: Haven't played any of them. But, I did just get Wingspan in the mail yesterday, so hoping to break that out this week.

People should really tell you before you have a kid, that it's probably going to be a while before you get some good gaming in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Bast
United States
Henrietta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just small things so far: Filler and Jump Drive with my daughter. We'll probably play Zombicide: Green Horde this afternoon though.

Of the nominees, I've only played Wingspan, which is excellent, but not recently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Peebles
United Kingdom
Chatham
Kent
flag msg tools
Board Game Club runner at my School
badge
Computer science teacher
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have been playing Charterstone this week and a couple of plays of other games (Ticket to ride - Europe and Villianous)

We need to get Detective back to the table, we played it last time at the end of a gaming weekend and didn't get on with it - we sucked! So hoping to get it to the table before we get to Essen this year.

Oh and hi guys i'm new to the guild - I'm a UK gamer just outside London in Kent.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Update:

Merchants & Marauders at the pub with these nefarious rascals

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Turner
United States
Glen Allen
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kind of a slow week this week. Got in a play of Viticulture at my meetup group and just ran a game of Mothership for my kids and some friends today. Only one of them died. I wasn't doing my job all that well obviously. In reality, I'm just counting down the days until Origins. 2 1/2 weeks to go!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Paul
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Memorial Day Weekend meetup today (Saturday) - got in plays of Tiny Towns, Lotus, Clans of Caledonia, Fantasy Realms, and Lanterns: The Harvest Festival.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
wonko101010 wrote:
Kind of a slow week this week.

Same here. My wife wanted to play a game on Friday night but both tables were covered with junk and I am ashamed to admit that I just didn't feel like tidying up.

Yesterday though the boys and I had a game day at my coworker's place. Got in a game of Scythe (with Lon!) and then played Machi Koro, Anachrony, and Terraforming Mars before heading home at 11:30 PM.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Update #2

Friends from Pittsburgh are visiting Philly and while the ladies went shopping and the guys cleaned the apartment, I was taught Tokaido by an exceptionally precocious group of girls (ages 7-11, with the 5-year old on my team; she was Keeper of the Purse).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Some solid gaming this week.

This week saw a bunch of games from Board Game Arena end, including Eminent Domain, Through the Ages (they finally have the new game, yay!), and Not Alone.

Played Hostage Negotiator solo on Monday, got to try out Great Western Trail and High Society on Tuesday. Great Western Trail lives up to the hype. I don't see myself buying it because it will never get played at my house, but it was great.

Wednesday Jenny (my wife) and I played a round of Welcome To... with the Doomsday map again. I had a great game of that one. I think it skews scores higher by default, though.

Friday and Saturday we tackled the remaining two SHERLOCK Q-System games. These are neat little puzzlers, and we scored really well. Perhaps they're a little too easy?

Saturday brought my third play of Transatlantic, which I'm really enjoying. It's a bit like "Concordia" light. I doubt it will have the long term depth Concordia has because it doesn't have a map so it can't have expansion maps.

Finally, we wrapped up the week with a play of Betrayal Legacy (6 of 13) in which I once again was on the winning team (3rd time) and yet (very minor spoiler ahead)

Spoiler (click to reveal)
FAILED TO GET THE DEED TO THE HOUSE.

ARGH.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.