Recommend
2 
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

Commands & Colors: Ancients» Forums » General

Subject: The C&C: Medieval dice... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
GMT ordered extra sets of the pretty C&C: Medieval dice for people to buy to use in C&C: Ancients, and they were made available yesterday. So, who else besides me couldn't help themselves?

Poll
Did you buy a set of Medieval dice to use with Ancients?
Yup.
Nope, but I want to.
Nope, I'm getting CCM so I'll just switch the dice between the two.
Nope, because I already have different special dice for CCA.
Nope. Y'all are suckers, the original CCA dice are fine.
      85 answers
Poll created by Mashpotassium
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.
Avatar
mb

I like these.


5 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought I couldn’t help myself, but apparently they sold out before I placed my order, so I’m out of luck. soblue

Edit: They’ll put it on the P500 later this summer, so eventually I’ll get it...
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
We've been using a tablet based dice app for a while now. No more fiddling with a dice tower. And, nobody is happy with the die rolls. Which means it must be working to eliminate bias.

I'll either scan the new dice to create, or download from here, a set for use with the app.

We've worn away the symbols from both the CCA and CCN sets so, it's been really handy to offload this task to an app.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
Brazil
Interior de São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Stayed wrote:
We've been using a tablet based dice app for a while now. No more fiddling with a dice tower. And, nobody is happy with the die rolls. Which means it must be working to eliminate bias.

I'll either scan the new dice to create, or download from here, a set for use with the app.

We've worn away the symbols from both the CCA and CCN sets so, it's been really handy to offload this task to an app.

What is "C&C: Medieval dice" ?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.
Avatar
mb
tequila_j wrote:
What is "C&C: Medieval dice" ?

3 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
tequila_j wrote:


What is "C&C: Medieval dice" ?

The dice that are included with the game Commands & Colors: Medieval. They are compatible with C&C: Ancients, but much nicer, and so some people have bought the dice to use You can see the dice here: https://www.gmtgames.com/p-771-set-of-dice-for-commands-colo...
3 
 Thumb up
1.00
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark K.
Austria
Vienna
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I hope they will offer sets with Ancients symbology as well.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If the picture John posted just above yours are C&C:M, then they appear to be exactly the same symbology as C&C:A. I have my copy, just haven't had time to break the shrink yet. I also have a set of fancy C&C:A dice I got a while ago and they are very nice.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
claudermilk wrote:
If the picture John posted just above yours are C&C:M, then they appear to be exactly the same symbology as C&C:A. I have my copy, just haven't had time to break the shrink yet. I also have a set of fancy C&C:A dice I got a while ago and they are very nice.
Same symbols, but I suppose the helmet shape (and maybe flags, can't remember off the top of my head) are a bit different. Definitely close enough for my purposes, though
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
From the images I've seen the symbols are identical and ready for use in CCA. The banner/flag, crossed swords, and helmet are more refined and appear not as pronounced (thinner).

The important thing is that it is a one-one match.

Whereas, if one wanted to use them for CCN - you'd need to remember to count any helmets as Infantry and count green, blue, red as INF, CAV, ART. Leaving only the banner/flag and crossed swords (sabres) unchanged.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark K.
Austria
Vienna
Vienna
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I would love to have the exact same flags and helmets on the dice. The C&C:M dice will do in a pinch of course
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
Orleans
Ontario
flag msg tools
der_mandarin wrote:
Well, I would love to have the exact same flags and helmets on the dice. The C&C:M dice will do in a pinch of course
All good. While I prefer the more refined look of the CCM symbols, I understand others may have different considerations.

FWIW, you can already custom order your own set from a number of makers. They only need the images (which you can already download here) as specification. I think some have already done this and were quite satisfied with the result.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Just got my copy of C&C:M in today. I have to say they look like cubes with images silk-screened on them. Experience with other (vanity) dice says that that tends to wear off pretty fast. I don't suppose anyone knows how these are produced? Because at the moment I'm planning on a couple layers of clear coat to protect them.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rindis wrote:
Just got my copy of C&C:M in today. I have to say they look like cubes with images silk-screened on them. Experience with other (vanity) dice says that that tends to wear off pretty fast.
Ah really? Shoot, I thought they were engraved
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.
Avatar
mb
Rindis wrote:
Experience with other (vanity) dice says that that tends to wear off pretty fast.

My custom dice have made it through 40+ plays so far (plus my boys randomly rolling them for fun) and no issues yet.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler Morgan
United States
Mission Viejo
California
flag msg tools
John Rogers wrote:
Rindis wrote:
Experience with other (vanity) dice says that that tends to wear off pretty fast.

My custom dice have made it through 40+ plays so far (plus my boys randomly rolling them for fun) and no issues yet.

If it's the same dice you posted earlier in this thread, that's because they are laser engraved and not printed on. The dice you have would take 100's of thousands of rolls and start turning into spheres before the laser engraving fades.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.
Avatar
mb
TLR6843 wrote:
John Rogers wrote:
Rindis wrote:
Experience with other (vanity) dice says that that tends to wear off pretty fast.

My custom dice have made it through 40+ plays so far (plus my boys randomly rolling them for fun) and no issues yet.

If it's the same dice you posted earlier in this thread, that's because they are laser engraved and not printed on. The dice you have would take 100's of thousands of rolls and start turning into spheres before the laser engraving fades.

They are indeed. I had the VG dice once upon a time (nice looking set) and they faded pretty quickly. But these laser engraved dice have been great; I highly recommend them.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
John Rogers wrote:
Rindis wrote:
Experience with other (vanity) dice says that that tends to wear off pretty fast.

My custom dice have made it through 40+ plays so far (plus my boys randomly rolling them for fun) and no issues yet.
And I'm not talking about your custom dice, I'm talking about the CC:M dice that were also on sale separately from GMT (before the spares ran out).
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Rogers
United States
Yakima
WA
flag msg tools
badge
Receive with simplicity everything that happens to you.
Avatar
mb
Rindis wrote:
John Rogers wrote:
Rindis wrote:
Experience with other (vanity) dice says that that tends to wear off pretty fast.

My custom dice have made it through 40+ plays so far (plus my boys randomly rolling them for fun) and no issues yet.
And I'm not talking about your custom dice, I'm talking about the CC:M dice that were also on sale separately from GMT (before the spares ran out).

I read it as a reference and experience on vanity dice in general.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Laudermilk
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Mashpotassium wrote:
Rindis wrote:
Just got my copy of C&C:M in today. I have to say they look like cubes with images silk-screened on them. Experience with other (vanity) dice says that that tends to wear off pretty fast.
Ah really? Shoot, I thought they were engraved
Nope, printed on smooth surface. I cracked open the box last night so I could take a quick look. The symbology is basically the same as C&C:A, just some minor detail differences in the rendering. But the symbols are the same, so these are interchangeable between C&C:A and C&C:M. Which also means the 3rd party custom laser engraved C&C:A dice available are usable here as well.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
John Rogers wrote:
I read it as a reference and experience on vanity dice in general.
No, just silkscreened vanity dice....
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marina SC
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
claudermilk wrote:
Mashpotassium wrote:
Rindis wrote:
Just got my copy of C&C:M in today. I have to say they look like cubes with images silk-screened on them. Experience with other (vanity) dice says that that tends to wear off pretty fast.
Ah really? Shoot, I thought they were engraved
Nope, printed on smooth surface. I cracked open the box last night so I could take a quick look. The symbology is basically the same as C&C:A, just some minor detail differences in the rendering. But the symbols are the same, so these are interchangeable between C&C:A and C&C:M. Which also means the 3rd party custom laser engraved C&C:A dice available are usable here as well.

Realistically speaking I doubt I'll ever wear out the dice, but I am a little disappointed since after shipping and conversion I'll be paying about $2.50CAD per die. That said, I'm not so disappointed that I've cancelled my order
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Factor
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
I am Volko Ruhnke's medulla oblongata....
Avatar
mbmbmb
Well... I didn't pick up the GMT/Medieval dice because I'm looking forward to these custom etched dice being produced again. They're about to go on sale again and I've heard nothing but praise for them. I'm also ordering dice for Churchill, Labyrinth, Twilight Struggle, et. al. from the same GeekList.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viktor Karlsson Mantel
Sweden
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I would love to have these dice for ancient. But sadly, no retail-store in Sweden dident order them
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls