Subject: This needs an app for the timer! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Will Jones
United States
Greenville
SC
flag msg tools
This game looks great, but a sand timer seems very boring. They need to make a simple app with different countdowns for the two minutes per round. Even one with someone counting down the last 10 seconds would add some intensity. I'm thinking of how Escape: The Curse of the Temple has the background sounds that make it so much more intense. What do you all think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree this would be cool. Play some thematic music and then an alarm when it reaches the end and you're supposed to draw new cards.

Basically do it like 5 Minute Dungeon. They even have several choices of narrator.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
will anderson
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like an unneeded accessory that will drive up the price, aka, the perfect thing to include in the 5 year anniversary re-release with upgraded art that isn't compatible with the first edition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Anderson
United States
Spokane Valley
WA
flag msg tools
mb
Sand timers are intentionally Vague in how much time is left. You don’t know pressure until you don’t know when it will end.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
ande9249 wrote:
Sand timers are intentionally Vague in how much time is left. You don’t know pressure until you don’t know when it will end.

That is a good point. Personally I am perfectly happy with just the sand timer.

fireatwill247 wrote:
Sounds like an unneeded accessory that will drive up the price, aka, the perfect thing to include in the 5 year anniversary re-release with upgraded art that isn't compatible with the first edition.

Agree, but I’m sure some fan could whip together an app with a nice theme. Personally I’m happy with the sand timer though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Ober
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ande9249 wrote:

Seems like that could easily be programmed into an app (the vagueness). I like the idea of a nice high pressure soundtrack. Hopefully somebody will do something like that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mistercrayon
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I’d also want an app I think. It’s too easy to focus on the board and forget about sandtimers. There’s a new game coming out where the sand timer itself makes sound (I think it’s big potato games who make it) so when the sound stops the times run out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
United Kingdom
Sunderland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised there's no app for this, I find the apps for Fuse and Flatline massively add to the theme, functionality and enjoyment and I'd hate to play without them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Ell
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
mb
fireatwill247 wrote:

I experienced physical pain reading this. Well played.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maximus
United Kingdom
Liverpool
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sand timers are a nightmare in my experience...

You will either get a member of the group spending hte last 10 seconds waiting for it to run out, or if someone isnt watching it, you will end up not checking to see if it has ended and overplaying.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
rumus milton
msg tools
mbmb
luckily I have a very rich friend that owns one of those pocket computer/ telephone devices. He said it came with a timer but I have yet to see it in person, I will ask him to bring it the next time I my wife and our 6 kids take a donkey down the mountain to the big city game nights.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Ham
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
CLICK THIS BEAGLE if you're looking for in-depth gameplay video run-throughs! :)
mbmbmbmbmb
Having played it a few times over the last couple of days at BGGcon Spring, I'd say using a digital timer with an alarm is an absolute necessity. The game is so high tension and demands so much focus and attention, it's very difficulty to keep track of the timer, which in turn means most players trying to use it will inadvertently give themselves more time than they should have, because they won't notice when it runs out.

It almost feels like the sand timer would demand an extra rule that if no player shouts "stop" exactly when the sand timer runs out (i.e. eventually everyone realizes they're cheating) they have to take a penalty (move up 2 on the waste track, for example, or lose 2 random stowed cubes), so that it becomes a part of the game that players must actively monitor the sand timer.

In lieu of that though, i think someone should have a smartphone at the table...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt & Laurel
United Kingdom
Harrogate
flag msg tools
mb
sasimirobot wrote:
luckily I have a very rich friend that owns one of those pocket computer/ telephone devices. He said it came with a timer but I have yet to see it in person, I will ask him to bring it the next time I my wife and our 6 kids take a donkey down the mountain to the big city game nights.

That made me laugh. Definitely a '1st world problem'.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Morrison
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Hey there - I just finished writing an Android app that does exactly this!

You can set the time, there are countdown options (last 10s, last 30s) and a big buzzer when it is done.

And it's free !

look for boardgamebuddy on Google Play store.

Cheers !

Andy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Morrison
msg tools
mbmbmbmb

... ok, NOW it is available in the Google Play Store. (I'm just learning) There is a free and no-ads version available.

Here is what the timer looks like :

More info at bigbeanbag.net/boardgamebuddy

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Krajewski
United States
Fitchburg
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mini-review. We used your Board Game Buddy for a timer last night. Worked great! Thanks for the app. I liked that the last 10 seconds it beeped so we knew the end was soon. Also nice touch that players on both sides of the table could see the clock right-side-up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Ciuppa
United States
Marietta
GA
flag msg tools
fireatwill247 wrote:

I don't need the idea of austerity in my board game hobby.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Morrison
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
mkrajew wrote:
Mini-review. We used your Board Game Buddy for a timer last night. Worked great! Thanks for the app. I liked that the last 10 seconds it beeped so we knew the end was soon. Also nice touch that players on both sides of the table could see the clock right-side-up.

Thank you Mike ! Let me know if you have any improvements / suggestions.

Andy
boardgamebuddy.ca

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Hector
United Kingdom
Portsmouth
flag msg tools
badge
http://brokenmeeple.blogspot.co.uk/
mbmbmbmbmb
An app would also make the toner accurate, o kid you not, my sand timer is 3 min 10 second long.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls