Lee Nix
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I just lost the game
mbmbmbmbmb
After a recent member of our group moved out of state, we are left without any good connections to most of the people who used to come to our larger game nights. Now it's just two of us, and we would love to find some more players interested in playing some games from time to time.

About us:
We primarily meet at one of our two houses or at Knight Watch games. For the sake of meeting a new group/player in comfort, we would likely meet up at Knight Watch (preferred slightly) or Dragon's Lair Alamo Ranch location. We are willing to play a lot of games from ultra lightweight to medium-heavy weight, especially if we are already familiar with the heavier game. We have historically been big fans of games like Race and RollftG, Evolution, one-night ultimate <anything but aliens>, Patchwork/Express, Gloomhaven (absent from our group collection now), Scythe, Azul, Photosynthesis etc. I have the biggest collection now so feel free to check that out if you are interested. We are generally down just about anything in the sub 2 hour range per game (but also at least I really love some heavier Euros or Dominant Species if I can get them to the table). With enough notice, we are both happy to watch videos or read rules ourselves to get a new or underplayed game to the table without as much teaching overhead.

Caveats:
We are generally fairly busy during the week, with maybe 1/month availability for a weekday meet up or less. Weekends go in phases, but sometimes we meet every weekend for a month or more. We also both have been friends for years and just accept that we might go radio silent for weeks at a time when our careers or life takes priority and would love that kind of casual flexibility in other players. We are also both understanding of analysis paralysis and sometimes vocalize options and offer feedback or suggestions/give take-backs on new games, etc. I know the general consensus seems to be that is the norm for BGG gamers (according to their posts at least) but we really are casual and willing to let things slide at first. We also will definitely draw lines in the sand when needed and do enjoy playing games competitively once we all are comfortable with the rules.

You should try group X:
Thanks, I will look into it, but the few SATX groups I have found have not worked out for one reason or another. Generally timing of group meetings is the biggest killer there, followed by meeting locations, and then types of games usually played.

I'm certainly open to checking out meetups/groups that I have not seen before, but ideally we would find 1-3 other regular, long-term new friends who find as much enjoyment in gaming as we do. If this isn't the right forum for this I will happily move it.

TL;DR:
We want to make some new friends to play just about any board games (sorry no war games or CCGs) with. We are casual, busy, and just love playing games whenever we can find the time. If you are interested let me know and we can set up a game night. Willing to do one-time or long-term groups as long as it means more chances to play more games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Curtis
United States
Andrews
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings! You guys sound like a great group! I would love to expand my gaming options as well. The only problem is that I live about 5 hours north of you. However, it is possible that I could make a trip down to San Antonio once a month or so (my wife LOVES to go to San Antonio). I might be able to make an all-day Saturday kind of thing from time to time. If you might be interested, get back to me and let me know... and we'll see if we can work something out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KB Shimmyo
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your game selection sounds awesome! I'm normally nowhere near San Antonio, but I'll be in Austin Oct 10-14 for a wedding, so I can check nearer-to-date if that coincides with any gaming opportunities (not the Sat/Sun evenings), and I'll try to drive down!

Regardless, I hope you find some folks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Nix
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I just lost the game
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey, thanks John! I replied to your message. Guessing DFW area just from the hours north? I grew up outside Ft. Worth so I still make it back there form time to time to see family.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Nix
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
I just lost the game
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds good KB, for sure hit me up. I can't promise anything this far out but we can certainly try. I even have friends in Austin so might be able to use that as an excuse if things work out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Curtis
United States
Andrews
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
turbo2125 wrote:
Hey, thanks John! I replied to your message. Guessing DFW area just from the hours north? I grew up outside Ft. Worth so I still make it back there form time to time to see family.

Actually, the Midland/Odessa area. Though I was born in (and lived my early years in) the DFW area... now I'm located in West Texas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Staci Krause
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
I know you said groups don't generally work out for you, but I have a fantastic group you can join on Facebook. There's even a chat with us and we do impromptu meetups quite often when we just feel like playing. Most of us are on the northwest side of San Antonio. That group is the Central Texas Werewolf Group (don't let the name throw you, we play games way more often than werewolf lately). We've been doing a standing thing on Friday nights at Snopioca, but we are also gaming more often at Tabletop Generals now that their expansion is done.

I'm also a member of the San Antonio Nerd Night, and their regular meetups are 1st Thursday at Cherrity Bar, 2nd Friday (and my personal favorite event to go to) at Geekdom, and 4th Sunday at Knight's watch.

Both groups are very welcoming and inclusive. Let me know if you need an invite to the groups (I'm easy to find on Facebook - Staci Krause)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stone
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Stone is the name and Art is my game!
badge
What number are we thinking of? 69!
mbmbmbmbmb
The San Antonio Boardgamers on meetup.com would love to see you monday or thursday night at Dlair med ctr, we also meet at KW on Wednesday nights. Weekend meetups have happened at houses in the past, and will happen in the future as well, not many have been in recent times. I just got back from BGG spring, and plan on going to Board Game Bash in south austin in August. The other two cons I attend in the area are the Game Expo, and Pax South. Welcome to San Antonio!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Kalliavas
United States
San Antonio
TX
flag msg tools
mb
I have two kids so I know the pain of weekdays being booked.

My main group alternates Fridays at Tabletop Generals and Snopioca and plays a good mix of stuff. We started out as primarily social deception but play anything someone will teach and now have a separate "social deception games day" on a Saturday.

If you guys are looking specifically for Saturday-Sunday games I'd also be happy to help organize a game day with you two and a couple of our regulars. You can check out my collection for some of the stuff we play. I also enjoy medium-heavy games and have one of the larger collections in the group if you want to poke through.

Our usual jam for longer games are things like Terraforming Mars, Scythe, Spirit Island, Viticulture, but most of us will play anything someone is willing to teach.

We're Central Texas Werewolves on Facebook if you want to see our schedule/locations.

This Friday we're playing at the Geekdom event center in downtown SA for a charity thing, but after next week it's back to the usual rotation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jen Sweet
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Just in case you or anyone is interested in joining Central Texas Werewolves, here's the links to our Facebook and Meetups pages:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/centraltxwerewolves/
https://www.meetup.com/centraltxwerewolves/

And here's Nerd Night's since we are affiliated with them as well:

https://www.facebook.com/sanerdnight/
https://www.meetup.com/San-Antonio-Nerd-Night/

I'm glad my people are active on these boards since I clearly don't check them very often, lol. Anyway, I hope you can make it out to one of our game days sometime, we would be happy to have you. Our Friday games are a mixture of board games and are super relaxed, we usually pull in between 6-12 people on an average night. We do other events periodically as well, which I usually post on the Facebook group.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin M
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
San Antonio here (north-side up by Stone Oak)

My gaming group consists of mainly friends and family (non-gamers) who traditionally will play anything I teach them. Outside of that I'm about a 50% solo gamer. I would be interested in being a part of a traditional game group. I also work fairly long hours during the work week but could possibly squeeze in a game day during the week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dunlap
United States
New Braunfels
Texas
flag msg tools
Find me on Steam and Tabletop Simulator
badge
I love Y'shua
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in New Braunfels. Love to game. I've wondered if there was another game. I'm playing Xia: Legends of a Drift System right now in Play by Forum.

I end up soloing a lot too. I have almost everything for Scythe and right now I'm loving Xia.

Maybe we can get a couple more together sometime and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Curtis
United States
Andrews
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess I should have replied and said that Lee and I (and his friend Brian) did get together at the end of June and had a great day of gaming at the Knight Watch game store! Awesome time!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls