Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Allen Cordell
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Silver sounds an awful like this game called Rat-a-Tat Cat but with more souped-up unique powers. Just found it interesting how similar they sounded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Cordell
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Silver...
I did some research, and found this thread: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1511087/copy-rat-tat-cat

I guess Silver is a reimplementation of Cabo, which Bezier also reprinted. In the above thread you see Ted Alspach, designer of Silver (owner of Bezier), chime in on the comparison between Rat-a-Tat Cat and Cabo (presumably before he reprinted it).

EDIT: I also find it interesting that Silver and Cabo, both published by Bezier, have different designers credited, even though they're both variations of essentially the same game?

(shoulder shrug)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Hall
Australia
Croydon
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played rat-a-tat-cat with our kids when they were young, and I was certainly curious if Cabo/Silver was a "re-implementation" of that. I didn't realise they are both based off an older game, Golf.

RaTC was our favorite kids game, as it was easy enough for the kids to be competitive while having enough going on for adults to enjoy.

Personally, after a zillion plays, I'm happy to never play it or it's variants again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Cordell
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grimbo wrote:
We played rat-a-tat-cat with our kids when they were young, and I was certainly curious if Cabo/Silver was a "re-implementation" of that. I didn't realise they are both based off an older game, Golf.

RaTC was our favorite kids game, as it was easy enough for the kids to be competitive while having enough going on for adults to enjoy.

Personally, after a zillion plays, I'm happy to never play it or it's variants again.

If you don’t mind me asking, how old were your kids when you played it with then? (I have a 4 year old myself).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Hall
Australia
Croydon
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alphasixty wrote:
grimbo wrote:

If you don’t mind me asking, how old were your kids when you played it with then? (I have a 4 year old myself).

I think our eldest was 4 or 4 1/2 when we started playing it with him, and we played it pretty solidly with for about two years. Our younger son joined us quite quickly from memory, as he learned from watching us and he has more of a gaming brain.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Cordell
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
grimbo wrote:
alphasixty wrote:
grimbo wrote:

I think our eldest was 4 or 4 1/2 when we started playing it with him, and we played it pretty solidly with for about two years. Our younger son joined us quite quickly from memory, as he learned from watching us and he has more of a gaming brain.

Nice! I'll be breaking it out with my son soon, for sure!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Rozmiarek
United States
Liberty Hill
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
alphasixty wrote:
EDIT: I also find it interesting that Silver and Cabo, both published by Bezier, have different designers credited, even though they're both variations of essentially the same game?

(shoulder shrug)

The Bezier version of Cabo is the second edition which is basically the same as the original version (with minor rule changes) which came out in 2010. The original was pretty much only available directly from the publisher. (I have a copy of the version.) Silver is Ted's development of the game adding a lot more special powers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Cordell
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
edroz wrote:
alphasixty wrote:

(shoulder shrug)

The Bezier version of Cabo is the second edition which is basically the same as the original version (with minor rule changes) which came out in 2010. The original was pretty much only available directly from the publisher. (I have a copy of the version.) Silver is Ted's development of the game adding a lot more special powers.

I get that. It’s still interesting to me that he’s the only designer credited on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.