Hide
11 Posts

Pandemic: Rapid Response» Forums » General

Subject: Soloable? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
David Purkiss
msg tools
Is it possible to play this game solo? As I know I'll like it (big fan of FUSE and Flatline) although it's hard to get real time games to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Blasco

Brier
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
Based on the watch it played video, it looks like you could do it, although you'd probably have to control 2+ characters. It doesn't look like it would be that difficult, though, since you don't have a hand of cards or anything that would keep you from just picking up alternate piles of dice for each time you roll.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Mount Horeb
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I did not design a solo specific mode, but like most co-ops you could just play as more than one character.

In addition to this, if you’re interested in solo real-time, check out Proving Grounds.

- Kane
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Srdj
Croatia
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Every Pandemic is salable pretty much. I don't see why this one wouldn't be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Chris Miller
United States
Plano
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cro1 wrote:

That's true. They do sell a lot of Pandemic games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amun Rah
msg tools
badge
mb
lylith82 wrote:
Is it possible to play this game solo? As I know I'll like it (big fan of FUSE and Flatline) although it's hard to get real time games to the table.

I like Fuse, too. Yes, perfectly soloable. Because, even if it is real time, players play in turns one by one, not all at the same time. So you play with green, then purple, ... it doesn't matter if the player controlling the pawn is different people or the same person.

Cro1 wrote:

Because this is a very different beast, real time. And you can't solo Pandemic Contagion, or the bio terrorist mode in normal Pandemic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Srdj
Croatia
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
coyotemoon722 wrote:
Cro1 wrote:

That's true. They do sell a lot of Pandemic games.

Hey lets correct OP on soloable too yay. Teacher of the day! Obviously i meant solo as in solo solo solo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lone Boardgamer
Italy
flag msg tools
Kane,
you said you didn't design a specific solo mode ,but playing solo has the same flavour?

--LoneBoardGamer

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Mount Horeb
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Other people have been playing it solo and enjoying it, so I know it works. I guess I’ll let them comment on how the flavor holds up. I don’t play many multiplayer co-ops solo, so I’m probably not the best source for this.

- Kane

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Sandbach
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a Rapid Response solo'er, I will say that the game definitely works as a solo affair, with two notes:

- It is practically impossible to play solo earnestly and keep careful tabs on the sand timer, so I use (and would recommend that any solo player use) a digital timer for the game.

- There is a lot going on rapidly, and I know that in my early plays I have not been using the character's individual abilities with any kind of efficiency. I think it will take quite a bit more for a solo player to successfully reach the highest difficulty levels and options than it would take for a group to achieve the same levels of success.

Overall, I'm really enjoying it. Between this and Proving Grounds, I'm having a bit of a real time Klenko-con going at my house and I'm enjoying it immensely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Machin
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
What's the best player count for solo playing? Play as 2 separate players or is it better to play with 3 or more for the extra dice & character options? I would assume the lower player count makes it harder.

I plan on playing solo on Friday as my friends will be late to the board game cafe.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls