Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Pegheads! It's nearly June! That means it's almost time for the UK Games Expo here in the UK, which runs from 31st May to 2nd June. Any pegheads going? I'll be there on the Saturday, doing various demos here and there, either at the PSC booth or the Alley Cat Games booth, so come find me and say hi!

So that prompts the question of the week: If and when you go to a convention, what are you primarily going for? To see all the new hotness? To meet designers/publishers/friends in the industry? To pick up new games or get some bargains? Participate in no-ship math trades? To play crazy big games you can only play at cons? (I hear there's a massive Happy Salmon game happening on the Saturday at UKGE, for example) To network with others? To help run demos for publishers?... What's YOUR reason?

But, arguably more importantly, what the pegheads REALLY want to know is: What are you playing this week?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't gone to enough cons to have a "usually" yet. I think a big part of it is trying to meet up with people I can't see on the regular or haven't met in person. Walking the vendor hall is certainly fun, but hard for me if I don't have the scratch to spend. (Gen Con this year will be fun as a first trip to it, but I am doing it on a shoestring so I may avoid the vendor hall.)

That said, I'm hoping I'll get to meet up with people from here, as well as show off our games (we're in the first exposure hall) and have a great time.

This week, I'm really hoping to get 20th Century played, as well as the new hotness that just showed up yesterday - Welcome to Dino World. Way to go, Nick!

Monday ended up being a very productive and fun game day. We played:
- Sagrada (I don't think it plays best at 2 - I like it at larger counts)
- Betrayal Legacy (game 7, still no [spoiler deleted])
- The Adventurers: The Pyramid of Horus (one of my son's favorites)
- Tiny Towns - still fun!
- Exit: The Game - The Mysterious Museum (we rocked through this one in less than an hour. Really fun!)
- Blood & Fortune - an interesting little card game in which you try to sow "influence" with other players while they do the same with you. My wife hated it and declared it ludum non grata at our place henceforth.*
- Arboretum - fun, tight, and mean, though as with many mean games, since we discussed the fact that it is mean before we played, it didn't feel so bad. But so tight.*

* = new to me
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good morning, Nick, et al!

Unfortunately, I won't make it to the UK in time for the Expo but will spend more than a week in the UK in August as my daughter and I will travel around London and then off to Stratford Upon Avon, Liverpool, Edinburgh, and finally Dublin.

I will have my fill of Conventions and group gaming in Jun as I'll have a table at All Star Con in Tyson's Corner, VA attended by fans of superheroes and artist lovers along with vendors to suit their needs. I'll have copies of my first published game and get to hang out with TV and movie celebs, even though I'm not a big superhero guy. In two weeks, it's Origins, and I can't wait to see some of my favorite Pegheads at the event. Finally, at the end of the month, I'll sit on an Unpub panel, along with Wingspan designer Elizabeth Hargrave and the next day, my friend Suzy will host a Game Day at her house.

With regard to attending conventions, I love catching-up with friends whom I see only once or twice a year; make contacts as a designer/developer for future work; and definitely walk the vendor hall to get a sense of what's new and exciting in the industry.

As for this week, I started off strong with a game of Concordia in which I lost by 8 points and Glass Road in which I won by a single point!

As for this week, I'm spending time with my daughter in Savannah, GA before heading back to Northern VA (I'm in the airport at this moment). I brought with me both Black Sonata and Atlantis: Island of Gods both of which I absolutely [cue Patrick] adore.

I'll hop on Google Hangout Wed night for a D&D session with the D.C. crew and play a few games this weekend in VA Beach with my nieces when we stay at my sister-out-law's place.

Hope everyone has a Game-filled week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So, what do *I* go to conventions for? Well, a few years back I went to UKGE, two years in a row, with my kids. I went mainly to see what was there, wander through the trade halls to check out anything fun, try a few things out, and get to play a load of games with my kids in the Children's area, which is well-kitted out with plenty of kids games. That was back when I had a very small collection.

Last year and this year, I go to help demo stuff for publishers. I don't feel any great need to wonder the trade halls, or sit and play demos. I know about almost all the games coming out, so there's no real need, unless something really piques my interest. But I do enjoy demoing games to people - much like I enjoy teaching games at my game group.

This week: Last night was playtest meetup night; while I was waiting for the other playtest attendees to finish up an earlier game of Kolejka, I got to play a couple of quick 2-player games with another friend, Ticket to Ride: New York, and Star Realms. I won both, which is a rare thing! TtR:NY I won on tiebreak (I'd completed 3 tickets, and needed just one more turn to complete my 4th). Star Realms I beat my opponent by hitting him for 14 damage; he was on 3 health, I was on 8, so it was literally whoever happened to draw the most attack on their turn, and I lucked out on that. He'd have hit me for some 20+ damage on his turn had he had the chance!

So then we did get some playtesting in: Chris' "Rome wasn't built in a day" game, which he's renamed to "Senators of Rome" as the original title, which was a play on the fact that it was designed as speed-carcassonne, no longer applied, as it's now a 90-120 minute mid-weight euro strategy game. Went very well though. He's going to be pitching it at UKGE, so hoping that goes well for him. I've seen the game from when he first came up with the idea when I was driving him home from game night one night, right up to the pretty well polished game it is now.

Then we played a new design by David Chircop (of Petrichor fame), a game about which I can't say much yet, except that it was a lot of fun.

Rest of the week: I'm prepping for demoing Rome and Roll at UKGE by playtesting it a bit, and I have a couple of other prototypes to play too if I get time. And then on Saturday, I get up at 5:30am to drive up to Birmingham in time for the UKGE halls to open.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have just been to one Con, and I went for the overall experience of it. Signed up for games, signed up for painting classes, walked miles around the vendor hall, drank gallons of beer...had a peanut butter burger with Grishny. Hahaha. Future cons would/could have all different reasons for attending, but I'd most like to attend a con where I could meet and play with a bunch of you wonderful people. Sounds mushy, but I'm mushy. For pure gameplay, I would attend a con in my neck of the woods, GameStorm. It's all about playing and, from what I understand, not much in the way of vendors.

I don't think I'm gaming this week. Playing a gig Friday and Saturday, and will probably just want to paint minis on Sunday. If anything, my copy of Chronicles of Crime arrived, and my daughter and I are planning on running that two player. It maaaaaaaayyyyyy come out Sunday, but I doubt it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgueni K
Canada
flag msg tools
No cons for me. I'm usually just not a fan of crowded spaces and I don't think I would enjoy my time there, so I never tried going to one.

As for this week, we finally got Gloomhaven last week and found a reliable 3rd player to get a campaign going, so I spent last week organizing it and will be looking forward to get our first game started this weekend.

Other than that, we're working through our 2 player campaign of Aeon's End Legacy, so that will probably take over the other days when we're free to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Edge

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
njshaw2 wrote:
So that prompts the question of the week: If and when you go to a convention, what are you primarily going for? To see all the new hotness? To meet designers/publishers/friends in the industry? To pick up new games or get some bargains? Participate in no-ship math trades? To play crazy big games you can only play at cons? (I hear there's a massive Happy Salmon game happening on the Saturday at UKGE, for example) To network with others? To help run demos for publishers?... What's YOUR reason?

Due to time and budget constraints, I currently only attend one local convention (Gamestorm). There's a new convention just starting that brought Elizabeth Hargrave as well as a few other folks to Portland, Oregon just two weekends ago (I got my copy of Wingspan autographed and couldn't say anything beyond how much I liked it ... felt very socially unprepared for meeting these folks) so I may go to a second convention in the future. Both of these are primarily to play games, mainly those that are new to me.

This past weekend I got a lot of game playing done. Loads of Wingspan, Skull King (with expansion), both flavors of Azul, High Society, some Werewords and incorrectly played Countdown: Action Edition, but still had a good time with all of them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
I go to experience it all, maaaaan.

I always want to play as many games as possible, so I usually don't end up doing much demoing in vendor halls at big cons. This is probably why I enjoy smaller cons more because they tend to be more focused on play. But the big ones have their place too, and I do love checking out new stuff and usually coming home with a "haul".

This week has been interesting. Monday was a holiday so our usual game night was off, but we got in a couple games at home, Century: Golem Edition and Downforce. Tuesday night I made it out to the Beermongers game night in Dallastown, and got to play four games including three that were new-to-me: The Ancient World, Stroop, Point Salad, and Just One. Last night we had a power outage after some heavy storms rolled through, so I got out the Larklamp and we played a game of Snyxtrap.

Possibly a game or two will get played tonight, and tomorrow the boys and I are returning to Friday Night Magic after a 3-year hiatus. The lure of a planeswalker in every pack was too much to resist...War of the Spark looks like bonkers fun. I expect to get slaughtered though; it's been too long since I drafted. My order of the Space Base expansion is also in, so I get to pick that up, and I'm told they are also expecting to have the new Keyforge set in stock tomorrow night as well... gonna drop some CASH...

Saturday is International Table Top day and we have all-day gaming planned at our local game cafe. Looking to start the day out with some Downfall and then whatever comes after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Troy Terrell
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmb
Already played a game of Scythe and a couple sessions of the Star Wars d6 RPG. Currently (Thursday night, Central time US), I'm playing the old TORG RPG. Next up on Friday, hoping to get in some Dominion or Marvel Legendary. Finally, on Sunday, is a session of D&D 3rd ed.

All in all, a busy gaming week.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Macy Allan
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a convention dream. In this dream, I will not be filled with social anxiety and will smoothly enter into endless games with friendly folk. I hope this will come true at Origins 🙃
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Macy wrote:
I have a convention dream. In this dream, I will not be filled with social anxiety and will smoothly enter into endless games with friendly folk. I hope this will come true at Origins 🙃

Macy,

If you're looking for some great gamers, let me know...many folks from the PiranhaPig Crew are attending. Text me at 571.373.9580.

Cheers,
Joe
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCallen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Macy wrote:

Also if you use/have/get Slack, there's BPPP channel (pegheads) which specifically has an Origins2019 channel. While there's planning that goes on before hand, it was also useful for messaging during the event. Like lots of people met up for pizza one night, played Welcome To, and recommended general cool things they found.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCallen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We used to just go to try games. We'd hit the vendor hall and try RPGs without having to buy and learn everything. Now we spend 50% of our time trying games and 50% hanging out with friends we've met. I'm never prepared for these so match trades and big events are usually full or closed by the time I get to them.

I just got back from a work trip where I took games. These weren't all this week but they were since the last time I got to get on BGG with a real keyboard. Only 1 of the 6 people I played games is a hobby gamer, so most of this was with new people.

Magic Maze: The experienced gamer didn't want to play this because he watched a video online of people banging the Do-Something Pawn in front of people, but that's also a thing I hate so when I explained the rules I just specifically said, "You put this in front of someone to notify them to do something. If you really need them to do something then put it in front of them, put your hands in your lap, and just stare at them." We did not do well, but I think it was still fun for everyone.

Codenames: We played with 4 people and did, probably, the worst job possible of pairing people with similar knowledge sets. So consistently someone would give a clue and the only person at the table who wouldn't understand it would be the teammate. At least it was equally bad for both teams right? As always, this game made everyone feel very smart and very stupid at the same time.

No Thanks!: I never realized the chips were supposed to be secret. So I learned a new thing here.

Azul: I feel like I should have stickers premade that say, "I love these tiles." Whenever I put this in front of a new group, I'll just give a sticker to the first person who says that.

Kokoro: Every time I've played this I seem to either come far out in first or laughably far in last. Luckily we almost always play at least 2 games, which gives me a chance to show I'm just playing in a risky manner.

Pursuit of Happiness: This was probably more rules explanation than I should have tried. Eventually it was understood and fun was had.

Century: Golem Edition: The art is so good on this that it makes me sad. The art on Spice Road is fine and honestly I might prefer opaque cubes to transparent crystals, but if those games had golems, they would be must buys.

Krass Kariert: I think I'm just going to keep this little game in my work bag. It's so easy to teach, takes up so little space, and creates great little moments. I hope it gets released in English soon so that when my cards inevitably get worn or gross, I can replace them at a cheaper cost.

Honey Heist: This was an RPG with people who have never played a (non-video game) RPG. They enjoyed making their bears, planned an elaborate heist, and then immediately watched their plans fall apart. Fun was had by all and blame for the heist going poorly was thrown around at work every day after.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Kanost
United States
York
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
OH YEAH
mbmbmbmbmb
Friday night, I not only paid for 3 booster drafts and the Space Base expansion, but as I suspected I might I picked up a starter box of the new Keyforge set, Age of Ascension. I never got a starter for the launch set, so I didn't have any of the cardboard tokens for the game and we would just make do with whatever we had lying around. That was fine for the most part, but keeping track of Chains was a pain; now we have the real deal.

Drafting was fun, and like riding a bicycle. (Once you've done it it's not really something you forget how to do.) I was, I must admit, completely unfamiliar with the set, so I was That Guy who held up the passing of cards a few times, but I quickly settled on blue + green as my colors and that helped me evaluate my picks a bit faster. I put together an okay deck, got slaughtered in my first match by an experienced drafter who'd built a red+white+green stompy deck, but went undefeated after that. I didn't win any extra packs, but I did win a die roll for a Japanese promo pack that had alternate art cards in it. My sons had fun too.

Yesterday was International Tabletop Day and we spent the day at our local board game cafe playing games, including plays of Just One, Fuji Flush, Downfall, Puerto Rico, Scythe, and Space Base.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a great big game day yesterday! Played:
Glass Road
Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery
Mottainai
Planet
Hop Hop Hooray!
First Class: All Aboard the Orient Express!
Magic Maze
Dokmus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Weekend wrap-up: UKGE was a blast! Even though I was only there for one day, I did and saw quite a bit. Got to demo Rome and Roll to Matt & Quinns from Shut Up and Sit Down, and Derek & Lizzy from Boardgame Spotlight, amongst others. Also demoed Welcome to Dino World to a lot of people, and also managed to run a few demos of Cat Café and a new Simon's Cat cardgame that Alley Cat Games are in the process of developing, which I only learnt on the day. Not bad.

Didn't get to play anything, but I did get a demo of Marquesas from Alley Cat Games and designed by Louis & Stefan Malz, which looked pretty fun.

Also chatted to a whole load of publishers, and a few designers. Great fun!

And yesterday, I got in a quick solo game of Imperial Settlers: Roll & Write, which was quite fun. It'll shine better multiplayer, but still a cute little miniaturisation of Imperial Settlers. I also learned the rules to Inuit: The Snow Folk, which is a beautifully illustrated game. Just need to find time to actually play that now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
My cousin and her husband came into town Friday and we played a ton of games. Saturday was a bit tough to figure out which games to play since we had six or seven all day and it was family so we didn't want to split up. Here's the rundown:

Friday evening:
Welcome To... (4p)
Ghost Stories (3p) (we won!)
Raids (3p)

Saturday day into evening:
Telestrations (7p)
Skull (6p)
Beyond Balderdash (6p)
Qwixx (4p)
Strike (5p)
Between Two Cities (7p)
Sagrada (5p)
7 wonders (7p)
Mr. Lister's Quiz Shootout (7p)
Dead of Winter (4p)

Then, Sunday, they left but my son still felt like playing games (which is unusual for him, so we followed his lead): (all 3p)
Qwixx
Strike x2
Rainbow Knights
Shear Panic
Forbidden Desert
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Huminski
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do I go to cons? To see friends. to play games. To find new games and try new games. One in a while, meet some of the podcasters!

This week, was my son's choice for the Friday night meetup, as he graduates from high school on Thursday, then we go to Origins next weekend, come home, and move him into his housing for school the following Wednesday (He will be attending Automotive Training Center in Exton PA - he was in auto repair classes while in HS and took to it like a fish to water)

SO, we played one of his favorites: Betrayal at Baldur's Gate We managed to get in two games - the first haunt we handily destroyed the lich and his phylactery, while the second saw only one of us escaping Strahd's clutches (me! - HA!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.