Jeremy Holmes
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
During this weeks episode:

1) The Pegs discuss their recent game plays including Downfall, Die Tavernen im Tiefen Thal, Tichu, Glux and many more;

2) All the Pegs review the action selection game Gentes; and

3) Look back at Trajan.

4) FUN FACT: Christina's Whoop Whoop is the saddest Whoop Whoop

https://bluepegpinkpeg.com/2019/05/27/episode-147-gentes/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore del Popolo
msg tools
mb
Thank you Patrick for not attempting a voice for my comments om Trajan. Despite the very Italian sounding name I'm actually Aussie, so most likely you would've gotten it very, very wrong. laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Kelly
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You are correct. It would have been awkward and probably offensive. Your name is incredible though. However; I do have to say My Aussie accent is actually better than my Italian one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salvatore del Popolo
msg tools
mb
pablopk wrote:
You are correct. It would have been awkward and probably offensive. Your name is incredible though. However; I do have to say My Aussie accent is actually better than my Italian one.

That, I would love to hear then. I've never heard an American do a decent job of the Aussie accent. Looking forward to it on the next podcast!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edd Crutchington
United Kingdom
St Neots
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Die Tavernen im Tiefen Thal - Die is pronounced Dee (pretty sure on this one)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What I really want to know is why American boardgame reviewers consistently pronounce the "clever" in Ganz schön clever and Doppelt so clever as "cleaver".
BPPP are the 4th American boardgame podcast that I've heard do it, and it's so weird!

Sometimes English speakers mispronounce German phrases because they pronounce it like they would in English -- but this is somehow the opposite mistake, except even weirder, because:
"Clever" in German is pronounced exactly as "clever" in (British) English!

There is also no circumstance under which the German vowel "e" is ever pronounced like the English "ee" as in "need" or "greed" (or "cleaver"). Never!
It is always pronounced like the "e" in "bed", "red", "den" -- or "clever"!
(There is also a long version of that vowel which doesn't exist in English, but that doesn't appear in any popular German boardgame title I can think of.)

I wonder if there is some German boardgamer who deliberately taught Americans to pronounce "clever" wrong for a laugh, and now it's just uncontrolably proliferating through the American boardgame scene? If so, I'd love to know who did it!

Btw, if you do want to make the Enlish "ee" sound in German, you write "ie" as in "Spiel" (like the fair in Essen).
Having said that, I guess I can touch on Die Tavernen im Tiefen Thal: German "Die" (which is one of the 3 German words for "the") is thus pronounced "dee" as in "deer" without the r at the end. "tiefen" is pronounced "teefen".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:
What I really want to know is why American boardgame reviewers consistently pronounce the "clever" in Ganz schön clever and Doppelt so clever as "cleaver".
BPPP are the 4th American boardgame podcast that I've heard do it, and it's so weird!

Huh. I haven't listened to the BPPP podcast yet, but every reviewer I've heard reference said "clever" like the English word. Board Game Blitz, On Board Games, Podcast of Nonsensical Gamers if I had to try and remember, but it's been a while.

Makes me want to make a horror movie retheme.

Toby Hooper, filmmaker behind the horror classic TEXAS CHAINSAW MASSACRE, brings you his take on this thinky little roll and write: Ganz schön cleaver."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You're right, a lot of English speakers do pronounce it correctly! But I listen to a number of boardgame podcasts, and this mistake is so odd that it really sticks out. As I said, BPPP are the 4th.
'What Did You Play This Week' were the first ones I heard do it quite a long while ago, and then two more that I listen to, but I can't swear to who it was anymore.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Kelly
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the pronunciation pointers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pablopk wrote:
Hm, I hope you didn't take that as being arrogant and telling you off... Pronouncing stuff in languages you don't speak is hard. (Edit: Especially with all the fake pronounciation guides on Youtube that deliberately mislead people into pronouncing stuff wrong.)

But I'd still love to know which German boardgamer is running around telling people it's pronounced "cleaver", if you can enlighten me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Kelly
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:
pablopk wrote:
Hm, I hope you didn't take that as being arrogant and telling you off... Pronouncing stuff in languages you don't speak is hard. (Edit: Especially with all the fake pronounciation guides on Youtube that deliberately mislead people into pronouncing stuff wrong.)

But I'd still love to know which German boardgamer is running around telling people it's pronounced "cleaver", if you can enlighten me!

No, no, no, no, no, no. I am sorry if my response came off as terse, I am on my phone so I was perhaps briefer than I should have been. I honestly and earnestly try my very best to pronounce unfamiliar foreign words or phrases as accurately as possible. For myself, when it comes to German I typically rely on C for my German pronunciation, but you know how it is with a foreign pronunciation you get stuck in your head the wrong way, you don’t hear it used enough to get it dislodged. I think you are right about cleaver/clever. There is some ur pronunciation error out there that got half of us pointed in the wrong direction.

Side note: I usually use IPA pronunciation guides to figure this stuff out. Back in college I took a number of dialect classes (drink) and learned to read IPA annotations there. I just got lazy on these.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:
pablopk wrote:

This is really a thing? Reminds me of an old Monty Python sketch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, admittedly I don't know how much of a thing it really is.

But this is top result on Youtube if you type in "Schadenfreude pronounciation":
(I don't even know if I should link it...)

Let me be clear: This is NOT how you pronounce "Schadenfreude"!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:
OK, admittedly I don't know how much of a thing it really is.

But this is top result on Youtube if you type in "Schadenfreude pronounciation":
(I don't even know if I should link it...)

Let me be clear: This is NOT how you pronounce "Schadenfreude"!

BUT WHAT A WORD TO DO IT WITH. The other would be the word for "mispronounciation."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Salvatortoise wrote:
pablopk wrote:

That, I would love to hear then...

You really shouldn't encourage him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Kelly
United States
Roanoke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Salvatortoise wrote:
pablopk wrote:

That, I would love to hear then. I've never heard an American do a decent job of the Aussie accent. Looking forward to it on the next podcast!

I didn’t say it was a decent accent, I said it was better than my Italian accent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Selander
United States
Ooltewah
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gswp wrote:
Btw, if you do want to make the Enlish "ee" sound in German, you write "ie" as in "Spiel" (like the fair in Essen).
Having said that, I guess I can touch on Die Tavernen im Tiefen Thal: German "Die" (which is one of the 3 German words for "the") is thus pronounced "dee" as in "deer" without the r at the end. "tiefen" is pronounced "teefen".

So glad to have a German speaker chime in here. I’ve heard some really simple rules that would go a long way toward making German pronunciation much better for English speakers. I think every board game podcaster should commit them to memory.
For starters, you’ve mentioned the pronunciation of “e” virtually always being like the short “e” in English.
And, I think it was from Scott Nicholson that I learned: think of Einstein for “ei” (long “I” sound), and so “ie” is opposite (long “E” sound).
It must be torture for German listeners to hear the German word “die” pronounced like “dye” so often! “Die Steven Seagal,” right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Selander
United States
Ooltewah
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick, thank you for clarifying the China tariffs a bit. There were some rash, knee-jerk reactions to their news. An informed analysis is always the best approach, and your insights were very helpful. As you said, these could be potentially devastating for some, but misinformed, unresearched reactions are irresponsible.
Kudos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael McCallen
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pablopk wrote:

I don't know if you've watched Derry Girls, but this very much reminds me of one episode. (If you haven't watched it: it's available in the US on Netflix, is very funny, 6 30-minute episodes, and turn on subtitles despite it being in English.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Hieb
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a native English speaker that studied German, the best hint that helped me to remember how to pronounce "ie or ei" combinations is to pronounce the second letter in the combination. In English (in general) we will pronounce the first letter in the "ie or ei" combination, which is why so many English speakers pronounce "die" as "dye". If we use the above hint, we can see that English speakers should be pronouncing the second letter in the "ie" combination which would result in the correct German pronunciation of "dee". This is why Spiel is pronounced "speel" and why Tiefen is pronounced "teefen". Hopefully, this hint helps the English speakers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C&H Schmidt
Germany
Heidelberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iluv68 wrote:
As a native English speaker that studied German, the best hint that helped me to remember how to pronounce "ie or ei" combinations is to pronounce the second letter in the combination. In English (in general) we will pronounce the first letter in the "ie or ei" combination, which is why so many English speakers pronounce "die" as "dye". If we use the above hint, we can see that English speakers should be pronouncing the second letter in the "ie" combination which would result in the correct German pronunciation of "dee". This is why Spiel is pronounced "speel" and why Tiefen is pronounced "teefen". Hopefully, this hint helps the English speakers.
Hah, that's a really neat mnemonic! thumbsup
I never noticed that!

(Of course, to a German speaker, it's not pronouncing the 2nd letter -- English just has shifted the pronounciation of vocals compared to most continental European languages (that I know). In "ie", in German you're actually pronouncing the first letter (like in "bid", for example), the "e" is just there to make it long -- not terribly logical in itself. Whereas in "ei", you pronounce both vowels, one after the other "ee-ii", but a little bit shifted in sound, so it's actually more like "aa-ii".
Languages are weird.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.