Pandemic: Rapid Response» Forums » General

Subject: Player Scale-ability? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
A S
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As I've read the rules, it does not seem like there is any difference in setup between 2 and 4 players...

How do you accomplish sending boxes to cargo bay when you only have 12 instead of 24 or 18 dice between the players? Seems like you are much more limited...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hidde Warendorff
Netherlands
Culemborg
flag msg tools
mb
This. Exactly this was my first response after seeing the Rules runtrough by WatchItPlayed.

You have to leave your dice on the board to work towards better effects. With 4 players, after a decent turn leaving 4 dice (or so) on the board, your teammates have 3 turns to make something of it and return your dice to you.
With 2 players that seems much, much harder to do.

How does this scale?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JoeAubrey
United States
St. Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
in more boxes
badge
mbmbmb
Perhaps not having so many other turns between committing one's dice towards a goal is a benefit. The 2 minute timer means all players will get more turns in lower player count game.

I haven't played, but I could imagine it working out. I could also see it being more hectic-fun with more people.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JoeAubrey wrote:
Perhaps not having so many other turns between committing one's dice towards a goal is a benefit. The 2 minute timer means all players will get more turns in lower player count game.

I haven't played, but I could imagine it working out. I could also see it being more hectic-fun with more people.

You get more turns, but now you're forced to follow each other around to get anything done which changes the game. No option to divide and conquer to any extent like you could with a 4-player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kane Klenko
United States
Mount Horeb
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To be honest, I had the same thoughts. My first several playtests were with 4 players. When I brought it out to test the 2 player game I figured it wouldn’t work and would need a lot of adjusting because it would be too hard. We won.

The board is small enough that you don’t need to follow each other around. I think the fact that you’re not coordinating 4 players and your turns come around more often makes it work and be balanced similar to higher player counts. Most of my co-ops have a chart in the rules to adjust things based on player count, but through playtesting we decided it wasn’t needed here. There is luck in dice and in the cards that come out, so you’ll have easier and harder games at any player count, but the balance works out across all player counts.

- Kane
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A S
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the "behind the scenes"!

I'm always honored when the designer replies to posts on their games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls