Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
Blue Peg, Pink Peg Gaming Podcast
mbmbmbmbmb
Its time to welcome you to your reroll! The next episode we will be looking back at Argent: The Consortium. Here is your chance to get in your thoughts and RATING for this game. Remember, I will choose a couple to mention on the show.

Poll
1. Have you played Argent: The Consortium?
Yes
No, but want to.
No, but will play if someone brings it out.
No and no desire to.
2. What is your BPPP rating of Argent: The Consortium?
6-Game collection essential.
3- Average Game.
0- the worst.
      122 answers
Poll created by rookenoble
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Can't wait to read Meghan's response...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Allen Cordell
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, I love this game. It's essentially controlled chaos in a box. A spectacle pretending to be a board game. An aberration with enough variability to make your eyeballs shrivel up and disappear into their sockets. Truly unlike any other worker placement game I've ever played, it's a big, beautiful, psychedelic beast dripping with theme and mutated Euro mechanisms. I rate this game a six, but not just any six. A six that's gigantic and golden and skyrocketing out of the top of my skull covered in brain bits. A six because of how unique and gluttonous and over the top and ridiculous it is. A six because it challenges the complacent gamer's mind, slapping it to and fro without mercy until all that's left is a quivering shell of a human being.

Did I mention that I love this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Edge

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh Argent! How I love thee! Let me count the ways:

All the wonderful rooms and spells to explore.
Race against the player-controlled clock with belltower cards.
Great mixture of strategy and randomness.
End game reveal to-die-for.
Neat sculpts for the different mages.
Thematic mechanics and game arc that made this a solid learning experience.

My favorite game for a long time (just knocked down due solely to amount of times it gets to the table) for all of the above and more. Whenever I get down on one aspect, there's another part of Argent that pops up and throws me down Hurt Alley. BUT, this is not a game for everyone. I rate this a 6 with the caveat that you must like sprawling messes of theme and must start with a learning game (I teach this with a 2-round learning game to let folks know how power can grow and what the end game looks like without taking TOO much time).

Argent was my first worker placement and remains THE worker placement game to beat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:
Can't wait to read Meghan's response...

Hahaha!!! I'm not sure I have too much to add from last year. Still absolutely love this game and it is still sitting comfortably at my #2 game of all time (it is behind Vinhos Deluxe Edition). I ADORE it, even more with the improved 2nd edition bits and adjustments, and now I just want to go home and play it!!! 6 amazing pegs for me!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Alvarez
United States
Sellersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Argent based on the Pegs' review a year ago but have only played it once. A very enjoyable game that wasn't too difficult to learn, had great player interaction, and a TON of abilities and effects. What I remember most was how much READING there was: what are the powers of the cards available to purchase, what are the effects of the cards my opponent is holding, what combos can I assemble with my own cards? A three player game took three hours because of all the reading! So I rated it as a 4 peg though it's probably deserving higher than that. I'll certainly get it to the table again ... hopefully soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Hogar
Australia
Newtown
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't say that I love Argent but it does do some really interesting things. There's a fun back and forth between players with blocking and spell cards and it has so many cards so variability is never an issue but I find it overstays a bit... just a bit

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gabriel Edge

Oregon
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
godzilla614 wrote:
I bought Argent based on the Pegs' review a year ago but have only played it once. A very enjoyable game that wasn't too difficult to learn, had great player interaction, and a TON of abilities and effects. What I remember most was how much READING there was: what are the powers of the cards available to purchase, what are the effects of the cards my opponent is holding, what combos can I assemble with my own cards? A three player game took three hours because of all the reading! So I rated it as a 4 peg though it's probably deserving higher than that. I'll certainly get it to the table again ... hopefully soon!

Yeah .. . Length is the major factor in not getting it to the table a lot. I usually dedicate 4 hours if there's a teach involved. Even more sho if everyone wants to know exactly what each item and spell and supporter does at any given moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tyler DeLisle
United States
Richardson
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Argent is great, a game that I always wish I could play more often. The downside is that it's just a lot, a lot to setup, a lot to explain and teach, a lot of table space, and a lot of spell interaction lookups. Makes it harder to get it tabled, and keeps it from a 6. Still a solid 5 pegs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Medford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Hello!
badge
I had to spend this geek gold on something
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a weird one. I like heavy games, I like the magic theme, and I generally like player interaction and even some take that.

I HATED this game. There was probably some frustration in being a new player vs. a few people who clearly knew how to play well, and the secret scoring being kind of tricky to understand at first. This is one I might like on a replay, but I have no desire to ever explore it again. There are far too many heavy games that I know I'll enjoy playing.

Very rare for me to outright hate a game. Even when I get destroyed or struggle because of complexity, I usually enjoy it. That struggle often makes it more intriguing to explore further.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Rouse

Virginia
msg tools
badge
Blue Peg, Pink Peg Gaming Podcast
mbmbmbmbmb
will be collecting these soon!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.