Jon Kern
msg tools
Updated 7/16/2019

My Fan Factions. I will post updates at the bottom of this thread after today (6/4/2019) and this first post will be all the faction in their current version. Completed factions will be moved below the WIP factions. I have modified the other threads to direct people here as well.

Artwork by bokuteki. Give him a lot of love and geek gold for doing this please!

Updates

6/5/2019:

Moved Dragons and Robo Chickens to completed.

Changed Swamp Camels Right Academy from 2 Ore > 3 Ore. Decreased Starting Ore from 4 Ore > 3 Ore. Decreased Ore to Credit conversion on PI from 3 Credits > 2 Credits. Removed special Ore > PT conversion.

6/6/2019:

Added images to Camels and Dolphins from bokuteki. Added title Animal Planets.

6/10/2019:

1. Changed names of the brown and blue factions.

Swamp Camel > Dromedarians
Space Dolphins > Phocidaians

2. Balance Changes for blue and orange factions.

Phocidaians

Basic Income: Added +1k
+1o, +1k

The 2nd and 3rd RL from 2k immediately > 3k immediately.

PI Ability added gain a tech tile when built following the normal tech tile rules.

Lava Crocodiles

Starting Power: -1pt from bowl II
0/4/1

Basic Income: Removed +1pt from income
+1o, +1k

3. Image updates for the Dromedarians, Phocidaians, and Robo Chickens.

4. Added Image for the Lava Crocodiles.

6/19/2019:

1. Balance Changes for blue, brown and orange factions.

Phocidaians

PI ability: The Power value of your Research Labs and Academies are increased by 1 (in addition to any other effects that increase their power value).

PI income: +1pt > +2pt

Dromedarians

Added Ability: As a free action you may convert Ore to Knowledge.

Starting Resources: 3 Ore > 4 Ore

Right Academy: 3 Ore > 2 Ore.

PI ability
Each time you advance in a research area, gain 1 Ore.

Lava Crocodiles

Starting Resources: 2 QIC > 1 QIC

Added Starting Research: Navigation

6/24/2019:

1. Balance Changes for brown and orange factions.

Dromedarians

Starting Resources: 4 Ore > 5 Ore

Right Academy: 3 Ore > 1 QIC.

Left Academy Income: 2 Knowledge > 2 Ore

Lava Crocodiles

Starting Resources: 1 QIC > 0 QIC

2.Image update on PI ability for Gray and Red.

6/27/2019:

1. Moved Lava Crocs to completed factions.

7/16/2019:

1. Moved Dromedarians and Phocidaians to completed factions

7/16/2019:

1. Updated Disco Penguin PI ability to reclaim Gaia Formers from when built to once per game as an action.

10/21/2019

1. Started brainstorming faction abilities for the 7 factions needed for a complete expansion.

10/24/2019

1. Added Terra faction idea summary to WIP factions.

10/30/2019

1. Updated Terra WIP faction with name Flipsides. You can now rescore the 12 VP fed. Removed the 3 pt when forming a fed.

2. Added Breaknecks Desert faction to WIP factions.

--------------------------------------------------------------
WIP Factions:

Name
Flipsides

Home Planet
Terra

Starting Power (B1/B2)
2/4

Starting Resources
3k, 4o, 15c, 1qic

Start Research
None

Basic Income
+1k, +1o

Ability

Your basic navigation range is increased by one for each of your federation tokens.

When you form a federation, gain one federation token of your
choice from the supply, placing it in front of you with its red
side faceup. When you gain a federation token, you immediately
gain everything shown on the token twice.

PI ability
When you form a federation, gain one federation token of your
choice from the supply, placing it in front of you with its green side faceup. When you gain a federation token, you immediately gain everything shown on the token twice. (The intent is that the PI removes the drawback but retains the double score.)

Name
Breaknecks

Home Planet
Desert

Starting Power (B1/B2)
4/4

Starting Resources
3k, 4o, 15c, 1qic

Start Research
None

Basic Income
+1k, +1o

Ability
When you form a federation, gain 1 knowledge for each satellite built to connect the planets that are part of that federation.

PI ability
Action: Build a Mine on any Gaia Planet ignoring the navigation requirement and the QIC settlement cost.

(You can take a “Build a Mine” action with an unlimited basic range to settle a Gaia Planet. You do not spend QIC to settle Gaia Planets as part of this action. You still pay the Mine cost of one Ore and two Credits.)

Completed Faction:

Quote:

White

Disco Penguins

Name
Disco Penguins

Home Planet
Ice

Starting Power (B1/B2)
4/4

Starting Resources
3k, 4o, 15c, 1qic

Start Research
Gaiaforming

Basic Income
+1k, +1o

Ability
As a free action, you may remove a Gaiaformer that is on a Transdim planet from the game to immediately place a Gaia Planet on that Transdim planet and build a mine on that planet for free.

PI ability
Once per game, as an action, you regain all Gaiaformers removed from the game with your ability.

Yellow

Sandworms

Name
Sandworms

Home Planet
Desert

Starting Power (B1/B2)
2/4

Starting Resources
3k, 4o, 15c, 1qic

Start Research
Terraforming

Basic Income
+1k, +1o

Ability
Instead of paying ore to terraform you pay QIC. Each QIC counts as a single Terraform step at the start of the game and improves based on your level of the Terraforming Track.

Level 2 of the Terraforming Track allows a QIC to be spent as up to two terraforming steps.

Level 3 of the Terraforming Track allows a QIC to be spent as up to three terraforming steps.

PI ability
When built immediately gain 3 QIC.

PI income
1 QIC instead of 1PT.

Red

Dragons

Name
Dragons

Home Planet
Oxide

Starting Power (B1/B2)
2/4

Starting Resources
3k, 4o, 27c, 1qic

Start Research
None

Basic Income
+1k, +1o

Ability
As a free action, you may spend 3 Credits any number of times to increase your navigation by 1 this action.

PI ability
Gain 2k when upgrading a Mine to a Trade Stations

Grey

Robo Chickens

Name
Robo Chickens

Home Planet
Titanium

Starting Power (B1/B2)
2/4

Starting Resources
3k, 4o, 15c, 1qic

Start Research
AI

Basic Income
+1k, +1o

Ability

Action: +1 Temporary Navigation

(You can take a “Build a Mine” action or “Start a
Gaia Project” with your basic range increased by one. The
normal rules for the actions apply. This action cannot be
combined with another action.)

PI ability

Gain a Tech Step on the AI research track.

Action: You may take a power action or QIC action. The normal rules and cost for that action apply. (The intent is that you can take actions that have already been taken by you or another player.)

Orange

Name
Lava Crocodiles

Home Planet
Volcanic

Starting Power (B1/B2/B3)
0/4/1

Starting Resources
3k, 4o, 15c, 0qic

Start Research
Navigation

Basic Income
+1k, +1o

Ability
Income: Charge one pwr for each sector you have colonized.

PI ability
Once per game, as an action, if you have colonized at least seven sectors, you may take the a federation token of your choice, this counts as forming a federation.

Blue

Phocidaians

Name
Phocidaians

Home Planet
Terra

Starting Power (B1/B2)
2/4

Starting Resources
5k, 4o, 15c, 1qic

Start Research
Research/Science

Basic Income
+1o, +1k

Research Lab Difference

Your first RL gives the normal 1 knowledge income. Your 2nd and 3rd RL provide an immediate 3 knowledge instead of 1 knowledge income.

PI ability

The Power value of your Research Labs and Academies are increased by 1 (in addition to any other effects that increase their power value).

PI income

+1pt > +2pt

Brown

Dromedarians

Name
Dromedarians

Home Planet
Swamp

Starting Power (B1/B2)
2/4

Starting Resources
3k, 5o, 15c, 1qic

Start Research
Economy

Basic Income
+1k, +1o,

Ability
As a free action you may convert 1 Ore into 1 Knowledge.

PI ability
Each time you advance in a research area, gain 1 Ore.

PI income
1 Ore instead of 1PT.

Left Academy
Income: 2 Ore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Japan
Osaka-shi
Osaka-fu
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: More Fan Factions Looking for Gut Reaction Feedback WIP
Limitless333 wrote:
Name
Robo Chickens

PI ability
Action: You may take a special power or QIC action on the Research Board, even if that action has already been taken.
Maybe "a power action or QIC action"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kern
msg tools
bokuteki wrote:
Limitless333 wrote:
Name
Robo Chickens

PI ability
Action: You may take a special power or QIC action on the Research Board, even if that action has already been taken.
Maybe "a power action or QIC action"?
Did I change the text as you suggested?

Update:

I play tested the dragons and robo chickens some this weekend. I think the Dragons seemed slightly overturned with their starting credits. I think that 27 is the right amount of credits. Additionally the 2c for a satellite wasn't necessary. I'm thinking about removing that and testing them at 27 credits. 30 wasn't overpowered per say, but they were left with more credits for round 2 than I wanted.

Additionally, the robo chickens seemed fine in testing. They were able to avoid navigation until late in the game. Also, the 2 free AI steps coupled with the ability to take used power and QIC actions helped with getting enough QIC actions late game for an overall decent score. I found this faction well balanced, but still need to test it more to verify.

Updates

Changed from 30c to 27c starting and removed the ability to purchase satellites for 2c.

Name
Dragons

Home Planet
Oxide

Starting Power (B1/B2)
2/4

Starting Resources
3k, 4o, 27c, 1qic

Start Research
None

Basic Income
+1k, +1o

Ability
As a free action, you may spend 3 Credits any number of times to increase your navigation by 1 this action.

PI ability
Gain 2k when upgrading a Mine to a Trade Stations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Japan
Osaka-shi
Osaka-fu
flag msg tools
mbmb
Dragons

(The ancient ones)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kern
msg tools
bokuteki wrote:
Dragons

(The ancient ones)

Thanks for the art. Be aware that these factions may still change. I don't plan on changing factions posted to threads titled completed unless a balance issue emerges.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kern
msg tools
Faction ideas for the final two colors.

Name
Swamp Camels

Home Planet
Swamp

Starting Power (B1/B2)
2/4

Starting Resources
3k, 4o, 15c, 1qic

Start Research
Economy

Basic Income
+1k, +1o,

Ability
None

PI ability
As a free action convert Ore into other resources at the following exchange rates.

Ore > 3 Credits
Ore > Knowledge
3 Ore > 2 QIC

QIC Academy
Action: 2 Ore

Name
Lava Crocodiles

Home Planet
Volcanic

Starting Power (B1/B2)
0/6

Starting Resources
3k, 4o, 15c, 2qic

Start Research
None

Basic Income
+1k, +1o, +1pt

Ability

PI ability
Once per game, if you have colonized at least seven sectors, you may take the form a federation action for free.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Japan
Osaka-shi
Osaka-fu
flag msg tools
mbmb
Limitless333 wrote:
Name
Robo Chickens

PI ability
Action: You may take a special power action or QIC action. The normal rules and cost for that action apply.

Which is correct?
- A. as a special action, once per Round.
- B. as many as you like.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kern
msg tools
A is the intent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Japan
Osaka-shi
Osaka-fu
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: Fan Factions Looking for Feedback WIP
Robo Chickens

I am currently looking for good images of Sci-fi chickens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kern
msg tools
Still would really appreciate gut reaction feedback on the following factions.

Blue

Name
Space Dolphins

Home Planet
Terra

Starting Power (B1/B2)
2/4

Starting Resources
5k, 4o, 15c, 1qic

Start Research
Research/Science

Basic Income
+1o

Research Lab Difference

Your first RL gives the normal 1 knowledge income. Your 2nd and 3rd RL provide an immediate 2 knowledge instead of 1 knowledge income.

PI ability

Income: Gain 2 Ore for each of your Research Labs.

Brown

Name
Swamp Camels

Home Planet
Swamp

Starting Power (B1/B2)
2/4

Starting Resources
3k, 4o, 15c, 1qic

Start Research
Economy

Basic Income
+1k, +1o,

Ability
None

PI ability
As a free action convert Ore into other resources at the following exchange rates.

Ore > 2 Power Tokens
Ore > 3 Credits
Ore > Knowledge
3 Ore > 2 QIC

PI income
1 Ore instead of 1PT.

Right (QIC) Academy
Action: 3 Ore

Orange

Name
Lava Crocodiles

Home Planet
Volcanic

Starting Power (B1/B2/B3)
0/5/1

Starting Resources
3k, 4o, 15c, 2qic

Start Research
None

Basic Income
+1k, +1o, +1pt

Ability

PI ability
Once per game, as an action, if you have colonized at least seven sectors, you may take the a federation token of your choice, this counts as forming a federation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kern
msg tools
Update on the Dragons.

27 credits seems about right. This allows them to end round 1 with 2TS+4M. This costs 8 Ore and 14 Credits and leaves them with 13 credits for Navigation. They use their power, booster, and QIC to secure the 4 needed planets. If they want, they can also end round 1 with RL+TS+4M by taking terraforming level 1 wit their starting 4k. This however costs 5 additional credits which makes it harder to reach and secure the necessary planets.

Either way, the Dragons in rounds 2 and 3 often must choose to struggle with either credits or knowledge. I think going down to 24 credits would make them seldom selected.

The Robo Chickens also have been fine in testing and are a fun puzzle with their +1 Nav each round. The way to win is to get enough QIC actions for a Steller economy and doing your best to avoid the Nav track for as long as possible. I tend to open RL+TS+2M because securing more than 4 planets is somewhat expensive on round 1. However, the additional Nav makes it possible to move up comfortably on TF, GF, Econ, or Research depending on the setup. I tend to start moving up on AI round 4 in an attempt to take more net QIC action, usually 4-5. I build the PI round 5 or 6 and use the ability once or twice to prevent being blocked off from critical late round QIC actions or get a QIC action twice. I think that due to the Robo Chickens low scoring opportunities that properly converting your QIC to points is necessary to secure a win.

In conclusion, I am happy with the current design of the Dragons and Robo Chickens in their current forms and will move them to the completed section. Let me know if you find any balance issues that I missed in testing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Japan
Osaka-shi
Osaka-fu
flag msg tools
mbmb
Space Dolphins
The blue dolphin in Gaia Project.

(The ancient ones)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mario Rossi
msg tools
mb
Quote:
Space Dolphins
I like them. I like them a lot.

I like the tension built in the PI, that can be good on the second turn and later on in the game.
The starting knowledge might be a lot, but not getting a basic income as the other factions means it's just a boost on the first turn.
Is the basic income of 1 ore there to let them choose the research track easily, without warring too much about expanding?

The RL immediate knowledge is a good puzzle to add to their game. If a RL stays on board for more than 2 turns, it isn't optimal. Finding the sweet spot to upgrade or to build them in the first place looks like a good strategic quest.

The thing I like about them the most is that they're a blue faction focused on science, which can help along with the 2 existing black faction to keep the whites honest.

Quote:
Swamp Camels
I think their Academy is too strong. 3o is double the value of the standard 1QIC, and if you compare it to the advanced tech you'll see what I mean. I don't think it's unreasonable to open AC+3 mines with them, while AC+2M is trivial. And the advantage is not limited to the opening: 30/round is still really really good.

Their PI is arguably a little bit worse than the HH, but taking into account the 3o Academy it can turn them from an economic powerhouse into a pointchurning machine. If they can get an early 4c tech they are very hard to stop.

On top of this, they get 1 step on the economy track. Is it really necessary?

Quote:
Update on the Dragons
Yep, taking away an unnecessary power and trimming their starting coins goes a long way to make them more streamlined and balanced.

My feeling is still that 27 coins might be a tad too much, but you've already outlined a few openings that look reasonable. I think I'd add a NAV opening to see how they end up, since that was my main concern.

Quote:
Robo Chickens
Their innate ability is a good one, a smart way to make them less dependent on NAV than the other factions while not breaking the game. It's also very versatile, and along with both the starting AI step and the PI's one it helps them spread out in a way that feels different.

I like the forced AI step to make the PI more relevant later in the game, while its main ability is also good early. I still think it's going to be a mid to late game building almost always.

I don't love the "copy an occupied pw/QIC action" twist, since I find the design of those exclusive actions a beautiful design in both TM and GP. But I think it's way better the way you implemented it (PI ability, 1/round limit)than the way the TM designers cast it on Yetis. It's a way to cheat a little bit, but I don't think it breaks the tension at the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kern
msg tools
bokuteki wrote:
Space Dolphins
The blue dolphin in Gaia Project.

(The ancient ones)

The PI ability changed from getting ore when passing to getting ore during income for each RL. This way they don't get a few random resource points at the end of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kern
msg tools
Quote:
Swamp Camels

I think their Academy is too strong. 3o is double the value of the standard 1QIC, and if you compare it to the advanced tech you'll see what I mean. I don't think it's unreasonable to open AC+3 mines with them, while AC+2M is trivial. And the advantage is not limited to the opening: 30/round is still really really good.

Their PI is arguably a little bit worse than the HH, but taking into account the 3o Academy it can turn them from an economic powerhouse into a pointchurning machine. If they can get an early 4c tech they are very hard to stop.
The problem is that any other design makes them empirically worse than the other Brown factions.

The Ambas start with base 2 ore income and a tech step in Navigation. This allows them to expand early or build an Academy more easily than the Camels.

The Taklons start with the brainstone which often produces 2 or more Ore each round and does not require an Academy. I think that The Camels would either need more base resources or need to have this stronger Academy.

I do not know if my solution is of 3 Ore on the Academy is a good choice. I just know that the other Brown factions are powerful and the Camels will need to also be powerful to be a good pick over those factions.

Quote:
Update on the Dragons

Yep, taking away an unnecessary power and trimming their starting coins goes a long way to make them more streamlined and balanced.

My feeling is still that 27 coins might be a tad too much, but you've already outlined a few openings that look reasonable. I think I'd add a NAV opening to see how they end up, since that was my main concern.
The problem that they have opening Nav is that they have to spend 10 Credits and 6 Ore on the Research Lab. This leaves them with 1 Ore and 17 Credits. If they than spend the resources to take a Trade Station, which is often possible, they end round 1 with RL+TS+2M and 12 Credits. On round 2 they will have 3 Ore, 15 Credits, and 2 Knowledge and level 2 Navigation. This is a lot of Credits, but the lack of ore hinders their ability to use the Credits round 2. Their best play will be to spend extra credits to secure more planets ending R2 with RL+TS+4M. This typically requires 10 more credits for these Mines or some additional QIC.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kern
msg tools
Update

Changed Swamp Camels Right Academy from 2 Ore > 3 Ore. Decreased Starting Ore from 4 Ore > 3 Ore. Decreased Ore to Credit conversion on PI from 3 Credits > 2 Credits. Removed special Ore > PT conversion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Japan
Osaka-shi
Osaka-fu
flag msg tools
mbmb
Swamp Camels
Sci-fi camel images wanted!

(The ancient one)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Japan
Osaka-shi
Osaka-fu
flag msg tools
mbmb
Re: Fan Factions Looking for Feedback (4 Completed)
Limitless333 wrote:
The PI ability changed from getting ore when passing to getting ore during income for each RL.
Update.

Space Dolphins

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kern
msg tools
Re: Animal Planets (Fan Factions) Looking for Feedback (4 Completed)
Added Expansion Title: Animal Planets
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Japan
Osaka-shi
Osaka-fu
flag msg tools
mbmb
Jon, which do you like?

Limitless333 wrote:
Ability

Limitless333 wrote:
PI ability

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
About PI, it’s an Action, so that should be somehow marked
But I‘m not sure how you signalize, that it can only taken once per game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Spirio
Austria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jon, if you like to play them on PBF, I think I could implement them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Japan
Osaka-shi
Osaka-fu
flag msg tools
mbmb
Jack Spirio wrote:
About PI, it’s an Action, so that should be somehow marked
But I‘m not sure how you signalize, that it can only taken once per game

I referred to the official reference card. I don't think it's better to fill in all information because they look very busy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Japan
Osaka-shi
Osaka-fu
flag msg tools
mbmb

It struck me. How about this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Kern
msg tools
Jack Spirio wrote:
Jon, if you like to play them on PBF, I think I could implement them
I would like to test them when I'm done with the first drafts. You can program the completed factions. Those are ready for public testing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [8] |