Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, and I think many of us, gaming = joy. I thought for this week's topic, it may be fun to share some of our happiest and most joyful board gaming related experiences. These can be any experiences under a very broad "gaming" definition. While I think this topic may have been covered before, I feel it's worth revisiting. Share you experiences!

However, what the Pegheads really want to know is...what are you playing this week?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris,

Greetings! I happened to play a few rounds of Castles of Burgundy with an Oregonian last night before falling of to sleep (midnight my time). Anyway, most of my gaming, in the words of Marie Kondo, sparks joy! It's really difficult for me to highlight one or two experiences, but let me offer these:

In 2012, my girlfriend at the time and I attended Arkham Nights in Roseville, MN, the FFG HQ and we had a chance to play an-player game of AH with Richard Launius. During the game, we had almost too many Gates open before the Old One appeared; the streets were filled with monsters; and the Terror Track sat at "9" which caused no end of frenetic activity around the board. My Investigator, Darrell Simmons, the Photographer raced to an open gate, where the space was occupied by another player's Investigator who had remained there for a turn awaiting my Elder Sign. She had evaded several of the monsters and defeated on, while Darrell evaded all of them through the use of die rolls, including Clue tokens and at least the use of one Unique item. Once I handed off the Elder Sign the other Investigator sealed the gate, ...and we won!

This week, my daughter is home with me before heading overseas for a semester of college and we'll have a chance to play some games:

Mon: Hosting a Game Night wityh friends and we'll get Wingspan and Concordia to the table

Tue: Just Kat and myself ~ we might knock out another Sherlock Holmes , Consulting Detective case.

Wed: D&D night via Skype and Kat may serve as an NPC

Thu: Hosted Game Night at the Irish Pub in Glen Echo

Fri-Sat: All Star Con where I'll have a table at the convention, selling my game (TAU CETI) and showing off the work of my second title (Lead Designer: Tradewars)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
"Life is more fun if you play games." - Roald Dahl
mbmbmbmbmb
Two of my favorite gaming memories are from Origins 2017. First, I got to play a really fun game of 7 Wonders with our very own John Kanost, his son, and with another fella and his family. That other fella turned out to be the very nice Bruce Glasco, original designer of Betrayal at House on the Hill.

Second, at the BPPP meetup at that bar, watching my daughter run around with the crew playing Happy Salmon was awesome. Then she and I sat down with Isaac C and ... Joanna(?) ... and played a game of Bohnanza, which my daughter taught.

Tuesday night will bring a play of Cerebria, which I can't wait for. I played six games of this in Mid-Jan to Mid-February, after which I took a break so I wouldn't get burned out. I'm excited to get it back to the table. I really like this game a lot.

Coming up: I'm just about jumping out of my pants (Sorry, wrong podcast forum for that phrase) because I am attending a Robcon-style event this weekend that I've heard about for years. One of the rules to being invited is that you have to have played a game, in person, with the host. Since my design partner and good pal is a friend of this guy, I've heard about it a lot, but since the event is in another state, I'd never had a chance to play with him until we played a game at Protospiel Milwaukee this spring.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Plenty of fun times to think back on. But especially joyful... I guess the first time going along to my local game group was great because I just didn't know what to expect, and it was just so welcoming and great to be among fellow gamers. That WAS joyful. I also loved demoing games at the UK Games Expo last year, for the entire show. Strangely joyful as it was also exhausting!

This week: No specific game nights planned (though I could go to two if I got my act together). I need to playtest the solo mode of Rome and Roll some more, and I want to give the solo mode of Imperial Settlers: Roll & Write a play too.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There are probably too many joyful moments to recall in one post! Last weekend was pretty full of joy at the Eugene Games Gala (EGG) event on Saturday. It has been *super stressful* trying to find a house to buy and gaming with friends was the perfect remedy. (Unfortunately we went out house hunting on Sunday and it was a total bust! 3 duds.)

This week we'll try to get some more games in during the week, pending more houses coming on the market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Again, my answers will probably be rehashed, but here goes:

Anytime my wife will play a board game with me, but especially the first one. It was Christmas and a big family group played Dixit. I could just see how much fun my wife was having and it still melts my heart...then later, I killed her in Ca$h 'n Gun$.

Winning an eight player game of Arkham Horror with all noobs at GenCon 50.

My original gaming sessions with my Dad, sons, and a buddy playing Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game.

These are just a small sampling.

Thsi week is up in the air, but I'd like to get Chronicles of Crime started with my daughter on Saturday. That's the only gameplan for now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night I crossed 50% in my hardcore 10x10. It was a great game of Cerebria with three new players. After having played a couple games with other people and then 5 rounds of the solo game, I was a bit worried that I would feel like the basic game was going to feel handicapped, but this absolutely wasn't the case. Was still very fun with just the base rules.

And everyone said they had a good time, so it's likely/possible I'll be able to get this group together again for a deeper game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Managed 3 games last night! A record for evening plays outside of game group!

My 6yo really wanted to play My First Carcassonne, so I taught him the rules and we played through a whole game, without him wanting to change the rules in his favour. That's a great improvement over his usual style of "play". AND he managed to win! Great stuff.

Then I broke out Imperial Settlers: Roll & Write for another play; this was solo sheet #2. I scored 51, lower than my 57 for sheet 1. Looks like I need to up my game to get into the higher echelons of the scoring chart!

Finally, I played a 2-handed solo game of Inuit: The Snow Folk, which I'd also picked up at UKGE. This game is undeniably beautiful; the artwork is just so lovely. The gameplay is... ok. It's a fairly simple card drafting game where you're building a small engine and doing some set collection. Doesn't break much new ground, other than the theme, which is pretty unique in the boardgame world. Hoping a true multiplayer game will bring out a little more strategic decisions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sunday has turned into a game day. I plan on playing Lords of Hellas (FINALLY) as one of the games when we have the full compliment of four players, but there will be three of us earlier in the day. Can I get some feedback/opinions on the two games I'm considering?

Trajan or Anachrony?

This should get three games off my unplayed list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
voodoochyl wrote:
Sunday has turned into a game day. I plan on playing Lords of Hellas (FINALLY) as one of the games when we have the full compliment of four players, but there will be three of us earlier in the day. Can I get some feedback/opinions on the two games I'm considering?

Trajan or Anachrony?

Personally, I'd want to play Anachrony, but Trajan is slightly easier to teach (and is still good, but considerably drier in theme).

This should get three games off my unplayed list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Update:

All Star Con time

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Riley
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Nos operamur, te ludere
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Holy cow. Looking back at it from this angle, it was a pretty great gaming week!

Monday:
- Pulp Detective - little dice roller, solo
- Welcome to Dino World - fun rando-writer that lets you draw little dinosaurs
- Apocrypha Adventure Card Game - still trying to get my head 'round this one

Tuesday:
- Apocrypha, again
- Cerebria (dang I love this game)
- Clank!

Wednesday:
- Impulse - Chudyk does it again!

Thursday:
- London - taught my daughter to play, she crushed my wife and me. Both furious and immensely proud.

Friday:
- Impulse - again
- Gizmos - I love this little engine builder, but boy am I BAD at it!

Friday, Saturday: Attended a local/house con last weekend. What fun it was!
- The Quest for El Dorado - great game. I can see why it got the Spiel nom.
- Cosmic Encounter - Went on WAY too long, as we had the schitzoid in the game and couldn't figure out the win condition
- Donner Dinner Party (x2) - THE RESISTANCE-style S.D. game.
- The Chameleon - several rounds, like light Spyfall

- Anachrony - this game is really fun every time I play it!
- 4 plays of one of our prototypes
- Tiny Towns - my first time being "last one out" and getting to the magical 1 spot left
- Cartographers: A Roll Player Tale - new rando-writer that lets you draw little ogre faces and houses
- Everdell - Way fun! Reminded me of an old favorite, Elysium. Would definitely play again.
- The Chameleon - played in a large group for 2.5 hours

Sunday:
- Betrayal Legacy - this game is getting spicy. I SO WANT TO TALK ABOUT THE SCENARIO WE JUST PLAYED BUT I DON'T WANT TO SPOIL ANYTHING.
- Legacy of Dragonholt - my wife, daughter, and I played this a few times last year and it kind of fizzled 'cause my daughter wasn't into it. We started over without her and enjoyed the intro and first chapter quite a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Pilkus
United States
South Riding
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Update #2: On Saturday night, I had a chance to play Gaia Project which I absolutely loved, in sharp contrast to its spiritual ancestor, Terra Mystica, which I absolutely loathe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Graves
United States
Grants Pass
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Update from the weekend:

Saturday: My daughter came over and we played our first couple cases of Chronicles of Crime. We had an absolute blast, but kept chasing red herrings and didn't do se well. It's really fun and I think we can do better next time.

Sunday: First play of Troyes and we were all impressed. Heck, this one probably jumped straight into my top 20. I'll be ordering Troyes: The Ladies of Troyes later today as I hear this is an excellent expansion.

However, I think the star of the day was Lords of Hellas. My group likes diverse games, and this one really captured everyone's imaginations. There's a lot of stuff going on in this game, so the rules explanation was a bit longer than normal. Then, turns were taking a long time becuase everyone was still needing confirmation of certain rules. Also, since it was a learning game, I was giving examples of different turn options when a player got stuck. In the end, everyone started to have very successful turns...except me. For some strange reason, I was in as bad a situation on the board as you could have been. I made sure not to let it get me too down, but sometimes when you play a really bad game, it's hard not to have a little bummer. I didn't dampen how fun and good I think this game will be. We didn't have time to finish, but everyone said this is the game they want to play next time we get together. I'm down.

All three off these games came of my unplayed list.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Meghan Naxer
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We played an awesome game of Star Wars: Rebellion on Saturday. I played as the Rebels and finally got some awesome use out of the Rapid Mobilization action to move various forces into sectors and then get them outta there at the end of the round for fast strikes against the Empire. After Riekan was captured, it was only a matter of time before our base on Yavin was discovered, so we quickly packed up and moved to Bothawui. We fortified the base and coordinated some Rebel Cell activity there, which kept our reputation growing around the galaxy. By the time the Imperial forces discovered the base, it was too late and we were able to defend it and gain enough support to succeed! (The Imperial side, no matter who was playing, was on a 5-game win streak, so it was great for a Rebel victory!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.